MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by bhp
Correct, only one bonus per account. I called and was told to apply for a new card that's considered a new account, sure enough, got my new bonus points from RBC, though that's a credit hit vs none for a credit card switch
I don't think this is entirely true...perhaps the key to getting a welcome bonus for a product switch on a card you've already held on the same account is to wait longer between switches. I know someone who switches between RBC Avion and RBC WestJet annually on the same accont and has received the welcome bonus points for the same product more than once.

I've still not tried it - as I'm doing a 3-4 card annual product switch (2012/13-BA Visa; 2013/14-Target MC; 2014/15-RBC Avion Visa; 2015/16-WestJet Visa), and I plan to switch back to a BA Visa in late 2016/early 2017 hoping they don't keep much of a 'history' of what cards you've had in your account.

Last edited by pokee; Dec 24, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
So one of every bonus per account? Onto the westjet card...

Can I switch tht me presteige Avion and get 25k even though I wasn't eligible for 15k for Infiite? Would RBC prorate the AF if cancelled?
For a different card you've never held, you should always get the bonus...I think it's for cards you may have already held with the same account where the answer to that is unclear, and likely depends on how long ago you held the same card.

You can always just call to confirm you'll get the bonus by looking at your account. It's possible that you cannot do a switch for a higher level of card without a credit check though (since the Prestige requires a higher annual salary/household income, no?).

They will always reverse, or at the very least, pro-rate your AF if you've changed your mind or misinterpreted or been mislead on card benefits/bonuses...
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by pokee
I don't think this is entirely true...perhaps the key to getting a welcome bonus for a product switch on a card you've already held on the same account is to wait longer between switches. I know someone who switches between RBC Avion and RBC WestJet annually on the same accont and has received the welcome bonus points for the same product more than once.

I've still not tried it - as I'm doing a 3-4 card annual product switch (2012/13-BA Visa; 2013/14-Target MC; 2014/15-RBC Avion Visa; 2015/16-WestJet Visa), and I plan to switch back to a BA Visa in late 2016/early 2017 hoping they don't keep much of a 'history' of what cards you've had in your account.
just wondering, do you call in to product switch, like from no fee to West Jet, or go in branch?

the WJ card looks interesting, particularly the companion pass. my parents fly domestic quite a bit so there might be some value there

thanks!

ps: i recall seeing some promos in the past but forgot their frequency or amount of the promo, what do they usually offer, if any?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
just wondering, do you call in to product switch, like from no fee to West Jet, or go in branch?

the WJ card looks interesting, particularly the companion pass. my parents fly domestic quite a bit so there might be some value there

thanks!

ps: i recall seeing some promos in the past but forgot their frequency or amount of the promo, what do they usually offer, if any?
I nearly signed up for that card. But the companion pass doesn't cover taxes and fees.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I nearly signed up for that card. But the companion pass doesn't cover taxes and fees.
i wouldnt expect it to

covering base fare only still results in $100-$200 in value, so it seems to work out to $99 fee for $350-$450 in value. if you can get $450 in value, i think it puts the sign up offer in the top decile of offers
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Can you give an example of a companion pass that does?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Honestly, since when is Dec. 28 a holiday??? Can't call recon for my app today, b/c Amex is closed! Unbelievable. It's already been a 4 day weekend! Does anyone know if they're open at all this week?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Honestly, since when is Dec. 28 a holiday??? Can't call recon for my app today, b/c Amex is closed! Unbelievable. It's already been a 4 day weekend! Does anyone know if they're open at all this week?
Boxing Day is a stat holiday, and since it falls on a Saturday Monday becomes a defacto holiday. I'm quite enjoying the time off watching British tv drinking egg nog lattes. Do have to open up to tomorrow but then I get Wednesday - Friday off.

I imagine Amex would be open Tuesday - Thursday 4pm'ish.

Relax, it's Christmas.

Happy new year and wishing many new offers for 2016.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
No. I only looked at this one. Do you know of any?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:26 pm

How does the Westjet free checked bag thing work? If, for example, I add a family member as an AU and then they book a flight on Westjet using Priceline, do they still get the free checked bag?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Boxing Day is a stat holiday, and since it falls on a Saturday Monday becomes a defacto holiday.
Only a stat holiday in Ontario, or as we would say in Canada, Toronto.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
No stat outside Ontario? Well that sucks! lol

Data point: My 2nd Blue AeroplanPlus card just posted the 5K bonus. Add the 15K refferal for the card, me and my wife have a card each = a nice free 40K.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Only a stat holiday in Ontario, or as we would say in Canada, Toronto.
Not just in Ontario. B.C. as well as Boxing Day fell on a weekend day.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
Not just in Ontario. B.C. as well as Boxing Day fell on a weekend day.
I thought it was the whole country, as I had the day off and I'm a gov't employee - but apparently Canada post was working - as I got a package delivered yesterday...who knew!?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
I don't think there is one, because they cannot legally give you the taxes and fees for free. Even Alaska charges the taxes on top of the $99 companion fare with their CC. However, their fees are usually only ~$20 because most flights depart from American airports - not $150+ we get nailed with at Canadian airports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.