MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
Speaking of Amex, the %25 bonus for transfers to BAEC is back on
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by bmabnorth
TD is giving 500 aeroplan for switching from paper statement to online only. at least that is what they informed me the last time I called in. I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite
Hmm. I called in, attempting to do get some miles. "Sorry, sir, there is no such promotion like that right now."
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Originally Posted by bmabnorth
Speaking of Amex, the %25 bonus for transfers to BAEC is back on
As a fairly new Amex user, I phoned today with questions about bonuses when converting and the clerk said that doesn't happen! She told me that with AMEX gold If I spend $1000.00 in the first 3 months - which I've done. I'll get a further 10,000 MR in addition to the 25000 for spending $500 which I've already been given. Never seen this mentioned anywhere. Is she wrong again?

I am wondering whether a 25% bonus to go from MR to Avios is the best conversion rate that I can expect or is it sometimes higher?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by RTLS
As a fairly new Amex user, I phoned today with questions about bonuses when converting and the clerk said that doesn't happen! She told me that with AMEX gold If I spend $1000.00 in the first 3 months - which I've done. I'll get a further 10,000 MR in addition to the 25000 for spending $500 which I've already been given. Never seen this mentioned anywhere. Is she wrong again?

I am wondering whether a 25% bonus to go from MR to Avios is the best conversion rate that I can expect or is it sometimes higher?
Never heard such offer, I wouldn't believe it

AMEX Gold is standard 25K AMEX MR welcome bonus after $500 spending in 3 months
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG
Any news on BMO® World Elite™* MasterCard® having FYF? I thought they had FYF around this time last year.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Credit Cards experience - AMEX, TD, Capital One

Hello Canada

I am a new Amex user as well. I have the AMEX SPG. I received 20K SPG points for spending 500$ in 3 months. I found it somewhat difficult to find points of sale that actually support AMEX. I'm not sure it's worth spending the annual fee when I can't use it so easily. AMEX users, was it the same for you?

@bmabnorth @jerry305 I also called for the 500 points promotion with TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and was told that it wasn't available

My favorite card to use so far is still the Capital One Aspire Travel. 120$ annual fee, 10K points on anniversary every year = 100$, so the card ends up costing 20$ a year. 2 points per 1$ spend. Downside, can't seem to recommend it to friends. Anyone knows if we can earn points by recommending this card?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Nathalie.OroLoyalty
Hello Canada

I am a new Amex user as well. I have the AMEX SPG. I received 20K SPG points for spending 500$ in 3 months. I found it somewhat difficult to find points of sale that actually support AMEX. I'm not sure it's worth spending the annual fee when I can't use it so easily. AMEX users, was it the same for you?

@bmabnorth @jerry305 I also called for the 500 points promotion with TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and was told that it wasn't available

My favorite card to use so far is still the Capital One Aspire Travel. 120$ annual fee, 10K points on anniversary every year = 100$, so the card ends up costing 20$ a year. 2 points per 1$ spend. Downside, can't seem to recommend it to friends. Anyone knows if we can earn points by recommending this card?
You didn't ask this BEFORE you got the AMEX SPG card and pay the $120 fee? :P

You should ask in the AMEX Thread here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2016-a.html

Pre-pay your bills, insurances, buy gift cards (Gas/Grocery), $500 is easily met
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: *void
Hello Canada

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The trouble with the Cap 1 card, is that it has the same shortcoming at its core, similar to other cards like the BMO Rewards World elite, where you have to spend a LOT on the cards annually, to get value out of these cards. If you have such a resource to tap into where you can throw $100k/$200K or more onto it each year, then you're laughing. No need to sign up for, or churn CCs to get up to par with the REAL FFs. And then from the redemption side of things, you're getting at most 2 cpm (correct me if I'm wrong), though you do then get the flexibility to book whatever revenue fare offerings are available. However, after giving a couple of these spend-based cards a trial, I came out feeling less than satisfied. It was particularly bad from the BMO front, since they require you to book through the BMO Rewards site, and for me, that loses a lot of possibilities and options.

Since I am not a bonafide true frequent flyer, I had never been much of an Aeroplan player until I started churning cards, and even though it has huge holes in it's redemption model, if you can learn how to overcome those obstacles then, at least for our family, it's been the most rewarding program where we are redeeming at 2cpm to +12cpm (mainly long-haul business class). From the input end there have been so many different CC offers in recent years from Amex, TD and CIBC, to earn gobs and gobs of Aeroplan (or convertible 1:1 Amex Membership Rewards) points. And when you have good credit ratings, the churn comes into play and now you're doubling, tripling quadrupling the flow.

Sadly, the torrential rainfall of free points has been significantly impacted lately, with several new policies and system enhancements by Amex. Even the TD stream is tightening up, compared to how free flowing they were handing out their cards when the launched into the Aeroplan race. Fortunately CIBC didn't bow out of the race and moved/adjusted their conduit of points flow. So, while the landscape has changed recently, there's still enough open grazing pastures out there, to keep the game alive. So if you want to look at Aeroplan offers, have a look at the Wiki at the top of these web pages (if you're viewing on a browser), if you want to visit the various threads on Amex, CIBC and TD cards.

You have to decide what type of 'water' you want to play in, and then whether you want to cruise an ocean in a sail boat, or navigate the rapids with a kayak. Both can be satisfying.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ecgz88
got the MBNA Best western Credit card number since October, I don't have Best western rewards account that time, CSR said I need create a rewards account number and give to them (which is weird since I know Chase Marriott and AE SPG will give you new rewards account number when you don't put reward account number on application)..............Anyway on Nov 13th I called MBNA and give CSR my Best western rewards number : , but till today my Best Western rewards account still haven't got 40K points bonus, I called MBNA and escalate to manager, they said MBNA can't see when the points is transfer to Best Western rewards account and which account number it goes to, they suggest me to call Best western to find out........ I called Best western and they told me they search under my name only show 1 account and it's 0 points........I got run around by MBNA and Best Western and goes to nowhere
I'm having the same problems with my new Best Western Rewards card and MBNA. The bank says talk to BW and visa versa. Anyone have a resolution in this schmozzle?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm having the same problems with my new Best Western Rewards card and MBNA. The bank says talk to BW and visa versa. Anyone have a resolution in this schmozzle?
OMG me too! I thought I was the only one who is experiencing this. I called both MBNA and BW and they both told me to call the other.....Totally got screwed out of the 40K
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:09 am

I once had a similar issue with an MBNA Alaska card. 6 months later, never got my 25k despite paying the $75 AF
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by antonium
OMG me too! I thought I was the only one who is experiencing this. I called both MBNA and BW and they both told me to call the other.....Totally got screwed out of the 40K
MBNA will know if the bonus points have been deposited yet. Ask them if they have been deposited yet (perhaps they set up a new BW Rewards account?)

If not, I'd recommend setting up your own BW Rewards account, then call MBNA and tell them you want to link it to your credit card. It should work. I recently got a MBNA BW that for some reason wasn't associated with my BW Rewards... I had to call in and link the two accounts and the bonus points were promptly deposited by MBNA.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K

I agree this is a great card if you are grandfathered under the old rates. I believe that new applicants are charged $150 a year and do not get the 10K anniversary bonus!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by heraclitus
MBNA will know if the bonus points have been deposited yet. Ask them if they have been deposited yet (perhaps they set up a new BW Rewards account?)

If not, I'd recommend setting up your own BW Rewards account, then call MBNA and tell them you want to link it to your credit card. It should work. I recently got a MBNA BW that for some reason wasn't associated with my BW Rewards... I had to call in and link the two accounts and the bonus points were promptly deposited by MBNA.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I called MBNA back and got my Best Western account # added to the account. As strange as it sounds, they open up a Best Western affiliated credit card without asking for (or creating) a Best Western rewards account from the cardholder.

It's going to be a couple of months, or longer, before know whether the bonus points posted. But once they post, I will report back here - maybe by April.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:31 am

here's follow up for my solution: go to https://www.mbna.ca/contact-us/complaint.jsp, send e-mail to : [email protected]

In my case, got call from MBNA CSR manager the 2nd day, said take 3-4 days to resolve this, actually it take 10 days and points is in my Best Western account now

BTW, Bestwestern looks like already start dynamic pricing redeem , so in Summer all hotels is 20K +, 40K is not worth much now

Originally Posted by transportprof

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.