MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Instead of being a distance-based chart it's now a "distance-based except if we feel like it" chart.
This already happens. BA makes exceptions for specific cities, and once they control Aer Lingus, they could make another one.

I believe some of South Africa is slightly beyond the next zone distance wise from London, but BA gave a discount and prices them in the zone below (I believe 7 to 6?)
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
BOOOOOOOO

Starting November 1st, ICBC will NO LONGER be accepting credit card to pre-pay car insurance. Goodbye easy monthly points

I just prepaid for a year with card... For the last time
just saw this 10 min before our nearest insurance store closed. Luckily we made it. Don't have time to go tomorrow.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Never every more than 5X, 7X really with Ddiamond.

I got my iPad lightening to photo reader today, but I don't need anything else. Last year got a new iPad with 7X!!
^^

Originally Posted by markandrew
February 2012, they had 10x per $. Trust me, I stocked up on some things I definitely didn't need at the time. Given the value you could get from AP at that time and that the credit card bonuses were less freely available, this was a phenomenal deal!
@:-)^

Congrats!
I didn't end up getting anything as I couldn't figure out what I wanted/needed, but of course now that it is over I have a huge list!
I am looking at a surface pro and maybe will wait until February to see if anything comes up like a 10/$! That would be amazing!

Note to self: make list of things to be purchased through estore@:-)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Apple usually has black friday promo`s where you get GC`s for hitting a certain spend plus there is always the 5X APestore promos.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:19 am

Just noticed a interesting double dipping opportunity at Sobeys (NB):
I always buy NB Liquor gift card there, since the liquor store is next to the grocery store, thus getting twice the MR points on my Amex Gold.
Sadly, you don't get Air Miles for GC purchases. But I was delighted to notice that my $50 purchase allowed me to get 5 Jamie Oliver stamps because of this promotion currently running: http://betterfoodforall.sobeys.com/jamie-oliver-knives/
I was aware from the T&C that Gift Card purchases were not considered grocery purchases, but it seems the system still allow them (my receipt was explicitly showing the 5 stamps earned, and the GC was my only purchase, so definitely not a human error from the cashier).
Nothing crazy, yet an excellent surprise — this loophole might be convenient to top up my stamp balance next February.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

Last Nov/Dec when Sobey's was with Aeroplan you could get bonus Aeroplan miles for buying a Sobey's GC. It was a few thousand miles too. While I found out about the promo too late ( I bought 3 $100 cards on the last day of the promo) I believe you could buy a Sobey's GC with a Sobey's GC. Not sure if anyone tried it but it would have been something neat to try simply hanging around Sobey's all day turning over the same $100.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
BOOOOOOOO

Starting November 1st, ICBC will NO LONGER be accepting credit card to pre-pay car insurance. Goodbye easy monthly points

I just prepaid for a year with card... For the last time
I'm not sure if this is true?
I know someone who renewed their insurance yesterday (Nov 2) and was able to pay by MC.
No where can I find any news / press release on ICBC's website about this either.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
I'm not sure if this is true?
I know someone who renewed their insurance yesterday (Nov 2) and was able to pay by MC.
No where can I find any news / press release on ICBC's website about this either.
I was autoplan and they told me in person that it's company policy starting Nov 1st. There might be individual counters that don't follow this (yet) but that's what I was told.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:00 am

CIBC Business Aerogold is now 25K, FYF!!! up from 20K, FYF which I just re-applied last week, OMG...I'm angry

https://www.cibc.com/ca/small-busine...d-for-bus.html
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
CIBC Business Aerogold is now 25K, FYF!!! up from 20K, FYF which I just re-applied last week, OMG...I'm angry

I'll call in to ask for more. just one week's difference..maybe they'll be flexible. At least there's some more incentive now for my wife to get the card.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks for the info. Same offer for Aventura, not sure if its new or not... but for no spend requirement it isn't a terrible deal

Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:03 am

Paperwork requirements?

Do CIBC biz cards require prove of business/tax forms and the like? I heard TD cards require them and it's quite a bit of hassle.

Last edited by antonium; Nov 3, 2015 at 11:21 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by antonium
Do CIBC biz cards require prove of business/tax forms and the like? I hard TB cards require them and it's quite a bit of hassle.
I've never been asked.

A few years back I reapplied for my biz card when my CIBC card got sold to TD. It took 2 months to get the card and they needed proof of income. It seems things have gotten easier.

I'm quite surprised they extended it given the churn bait this card is. Maybe we are just a really small part of all card applications? Aeropesos are not free after all.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:38 am

Dang... Time to Cancel our Busniess Aerogolds and re-apply before Dec 31st.

Gotta Love 50K Free Pts

Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:03 pm

You will receive a welcome bonus of: (a) 20,000 Aventura Points for the CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Business, or (b) 20,000 Aeroplan Miles for the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business, when you make your first purchase at any time with your card. Plus, you will receive an additional bonus of (a) 5,000 Aventura Points for the CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Business, or (b) 5,000 Aeroplan Miles for the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business when you make your first purchase within your first 6 statement periods, beginning with your first monthly statement.
...Soo my guess is this is just an excuse for them to wait the full 6-7 months to give you the remaining 5,000 points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.