MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

It doesn't appear on the RBC website, but it does on the BA site, the 50k avios promo is back until Nov. 15th

15k at signup and 35k when you spend a hefty 9000$ in 3 months!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by WestAust
It doesn't appear on the RBC website, but it does on the BA site, the 50k avios promo is back until Nov. 15th

15k at signup and 35k when you spend a hefty 9000$ in 3 months!
Yeah, I just got that in my inbox.

I'm tempted. There's also a 10% off BA flights code. That's standard on the US BA card, but I don't recall seeing it on the Canadian version. However, it's a watered down 10%...you have to use it by the end of the year and I guess it expires after that and, unfortunately, only for BA flights leaving from Canada. So, for instance, you couldn't buy a flight leaving the US and stack with the $400 AARP discount.

It is indeed a hefty spend amount, though. And, unfortunately, this late in the year it wouldn't help you get to the 30k spend to get the companion certificate (stupid that it's a calendar year basis).

That said, if you do it, 0.3c/Avios, which is really good. Not like one of the FYF Amex cards, but still.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Yeah, I just got that in my inbox.

I'm tempted. There's also a 10% off BA flights code. That's standard on the US BA card, but I don't recall seeing it on the Canadian version. However, it's a watered down 10%...you have to use it by the end of the year and I guess it expires after that.

It is indeed a hefty spend amount, though. And, unfortunately, this late in the year it wouldn't help you get to the 30k spend to get the companion certificate (stupid that it's a calendar year basis).

That said, if you do it, 0.3c/Avios, which is really good. Not like one of the FYF Amex cards, but still.
The 10% off code you can use even without the card... And yes, even in Canada. For the US, the code is CARDOFFERU, and for Canada, creatively, it's just CARDOFFERC. Works every time. if your origin is in Canada use the canadian one, if in the US use the american one. No card needed.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The 10% off code you can use even without the card... And yes, even in Canada. For the US, the code is CARDOFFERU, and for Canada, creatively, it's just CARDOFFERC. Works every time. if your origin is in Canada use the canadian one, if in the US use the american one. No card needed.
Wow...thanks. Good to know. I have a work trip YYZ-LHR. And, for some strange reason, I need to convince my boss that it makes sense to fly me on BA First through JFK and save over $1000.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Wow...thanks. Good to know. I have a work trip YYZ-LHR. And, for some strange reason, I need to convince my boss that it makes sense to fly me on BA First through JFK and save over $1000.

No worries, it's not super obvious since the internet tends to neglect Canada haha.

I dont think you can stack it with the AARP discount if departing in Canada tho, since that one is US-specific and the Canadian version (CARP) doesnt offer that discount.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
No worries, it's not super obvious since the internet tends to neglect Canada haha.

I dont think you can stack it with the AARP discount if departing in Canada tho, since that one is US-specific and the Canadian version (CARP) doesnt offer that discount.
No AARP won't work. I'm trying to figure out how to stack the 10% with the AARP, flying out of JFK.

EDIT...nevermind fount it. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Talking

Thank heavens the PANIC is over.

It's amazing what 24 hours of downtime does to people. We all sat down and discussed.

Wedding road trip! We mobilized 8 vehicles, already looking into a night all together in a hotel (obviously not the same room!) and we are heading down to MIA.

It will be a total of 100$ per head. No brainer.

Now I'm just wondering if I can pay my gas and hotel stay with points.

PS - Charter a plane is about 45K$+++ (all the way up to 100k).

Originally Posted by Cphil1
Alright,

So now the wedding is riding on the availability for EVERYONE!

People haven't booked, even close relatives are thinking of not attending. How can I find a solution for 50 people to go to Miami/FLL from YUL.

So now, this wedding might not even happen.

And yes, I did say 50.

What can be done?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:22 pm

Makes sense that they upped the RBC BA offer to 50k amid upping the US version to 100k
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG
Hello,

I have a few questions:

1. I have American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card that has annual fee coming up soon. I would like to switch it to American Express SimplyCash Card. WOuld that work? If not, what no-fee card do you suggest American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card switching to? I would like to keep the relationship with Amex?

2. I am thinking about getting Amex Platinum which comes with Priority Pass+1 guest. Can I use this to enter the lounge after arrival? This is for travel with carry on only, obviously. Quote from Amex site: "For complimentary entry, simply present your Priority Pass membership card (which you will receive after you enroll) and a ticket valid for travel on that day on any airline, regardless of class of service."

3. $200 Annual Travel Credit from Amex Platinum - can I use it to book flight for a family member (or anyone, really) using any website - e.g. expedia, airline, etc.

4. I know that BMO had FYF for BMO World Elite MasterCard in the past. I could not find FYF now. How often does FYF come back and when was that last time they had it?

5. Any personal experience with how long it takes from the application for BMO World Elite MasterCard till receiving Priority Pass membership card and passes? I do not need the passes till next year, so I can wait for FYF to come back, just want to know how much time I should leave before the intended use of the passes.

6. Does Chase allow a product switch from Marriott to Amazon card?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vit007; Sep 27, 2015 at 1:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Vit007
I have American Express AeroplanPlus Gold Card that has annual fee coming up soon. I would like to switch it to American Express SimplyCash Card. WOuld that work?
My experience is that you can't just switch - it's a completely new application.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My experience is that you can't just switch - it's a completely new application.
So Amex is not like TD where you can do a product switch?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Vit007
So Amex is not like TD where you can do a product switch?
AMEX has completely different products. Charge cards vs credit cards. Aeroplan vs Membership Rewards vs AIR Miles vs Cashback.

Does TD allow changing Aeroplan cards to their no annual fee cashbacks instead of canceling?

And no, all PP contract lounges generally require you to have a departing ticket for entrance.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by keitherson
Does TD allow changing Aeroplan cards to their no annual fee cashbacks instead of canceling? ...
I have no idea, but am interested!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by winebug
I have no idea, but am interested!
yes

i switched my first Aeroplan Infinite to TD Gold Rewards
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
AMEX has completely different products. Charge cards vs credit cards. Aeroplan vs Membership Rewards vs AIR Miles vs Cashback.

Does TD allow changing Aeroplan cards to their no annual fee cashbacks instead of canceling?

And no, all PP contract lounges generally require you to have a departing ticket for entrance.
yes, so does RBC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.