MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by crimsona
Bought a cast iron skillet for 39 cents after BC taxes, -$50 TD aeroplan promo code and 3k Aeroplan miles.
I'm with the above posters with regard to the value of shop.ca. That same skillet (or better) probably sells at Amazon for under $20.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:46 pm

http://www.shop.ca/c/lodge-cast-iron-12-inch-cast-iron-skillet-075536301006-23736536

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00006JSUB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441597364&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=lodge+skillet+12&dpPl=1&d pID=41RgtPTWtgL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006JSUB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441597521&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=lodge+skillet+12+inch&dpP l=1&dpID=41RgtPTWtgL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G2XGC88/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1441597521&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=lodge+skillet+12+inch&dpP l=1&dpID=31rt7mlIWLL&ref=plSrch
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
I'm looking at applying for the National Bank FYF offer - their website seems sparse on the details of how to redeem points. Is it cash back for travel only like with Amex rewards or is it cashback towards anything?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bmabnorth
I'm looking at applying for the National Bank FYF offer - their website seems sparse on the details of how to redeem points. Is it cash back for travel only like with Amex rewards or is it cashback towards anything?
It's similar to Amex. NBC Rewards points can wipe out part or all of the travel purchases you made ($100 increments only, however), or there's an online shopping mall where you can get a gift card or a toaster. If you have financial products with NBC you can also contribute to your RRSP, pay your mortgage, etc. with points. So it's not cashback towards anything but it's not strictly travel either.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2
So I got declined for the Capital One IHG today. I contacted them and said it was probably because I already have two cards with them (grandfathered Aspire Travel World and Delta World cards) and that that was the maximum number of their own cards they let anyone hold at any one time. Anyone heard this before or were they just making excuses?
Yes, it is an actual policy. Also, I was told Capital One is finally canceling existing Skymiles credit cards. Accounts will no longer be active after next month. Annual fees charged before July can be refunded on a pro-rated basis, but make sure to call to ask, if it's not proactively done.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Yes, it is an actual policy. Also, I was told Capital One is finally canceling existing Skymiles credit cards. Accounts will no longer be active after next month. Annual fees charged before July can be refunded on a pro-rated basis, but make sure to call to ask, if it's not proactively done.
Well, the Delta card cancelling would have allowed me to add the IHG card - but it's now gone, so that's not happening.

On the downside, I was hoping to make a bit more use of the Delta card I got just before they cancelled it - at 2 miles per dollar, it's great value for some of the partner redemptions, so it's been my primary card for that reason. I'm guessing the lower Canadian dollar is making it a bad deal for whoever has the currency risk in the deal. Back to SPG for me.

Last edited by claurianta2; Sep 8, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:14 am

I've removed the Capital One IHG card from the Wiki, now that it's gone

Glad I got it before it's gone
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung

I'm now wondering for how long will we get to keep the card, will they do like the Delta Card and close the accounts in a few months, or will the card be good until expiration or anything.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Well, that sucks.

i applied for it last week and was approved. hopefully it's in the mail.

after this, I think capital one will be useless to me.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
I wonder why all these cards are disappearing.
If cashback on all purchase can be 1.75%
10K spend is $175
$CAD175 gets in promotions roughly
- 20K IHG
- 27K Hilton
- 30K Club Carlson
One can probably get (much) more out of each chain system, and that is at our end user level.
What's wrong with Canadian Financial Institutions not throwing those cards at users but choosing to discontinue them? With their negotiating power they'd get much better return on hotel partner cards then on their cashback cards...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by winebug
Rumour has it that CapOne is spending so much on their Costco deal that they want to focus solely on that partnership, along with their own cards.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:50 pm

I was really bummed to get the Capital One letter in the mail saying that as of Oct 20th the card will no longer be useable. I think it will be Amex Gold for me now with no where near the earn rate I was getting with all my US travel on Delta.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ecentral
I was really bummed to get the Capital One letter in the mail saying that as of Oct 20th the card will no longer be useable. I think it will be Amex Gold for me now with no where near the earn rate I was getting with all my US travel on Delta.
Is this just for the Cap One Delta card - or did people get letters for IHG cards, as well?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by winebug
If cashback on all purchase can be 1.75%
10K spend is $175
$CAD175 gets in promotions roughly
- 20K IHG
- 27K Hilton
- 30K Club Carlson
One can probably get (much) more out of each chain system, and that is at our end user level.
What's wrong with Canadian Financial Institutions not throwing those cards at users but choosing to discontinue them? With their negotiating power they'd get much better return on hotel partner cards then on their cashback cards...
I guess at the end of the day, the banks have to be making money from the card. In the case of IHG and Delta, I doubt they make anything because no one has those cards (I didn't know anyone who had one). Same with the Chase Marriott (don't know a single person who has it - or the Amazon card - despite no foreign txn fees) - and Chase has had the 'Apply Now' button removed from their website for ages.

To complicate matters, the nose-diving US Exchange rate is perhaps making it more expensive for Canadian banks to buy into/maintain hotel/US Air programs for their cards, again, which translates into them not making as much money.

It's been a tough year for churners. I always knew that I was riding a wave that would soon dwindle. But man, it's been a sweet ride!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:04 pm

on the contrary, I feel many people had the Marriott card. it pays out way better than the Amazon for the sign-up bonus, and has two extensive threads on RFD and one here.

whereas the IHG and delta cards have barely any coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.