MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Another member got it confirmed that it's 100 per dollar... I assume we have a serious case for getting the points or at least a refund otherwise... Since it so clearly states it on the website...
I print screened the page stating it is 100 points/ $ spent in case they do not honor the points which I think chance is slim.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
edit: nvm, rbcrewardsmall on mobile is crap

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 30, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Since AMEX recently (in July) made their sign-up bonus once-in-a-lifetime, which cards are the most churnable for us Canadians?

i.e. What cards award sign up bonuses with no lifetime limit?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ibopm
Since AMEX recently (in July) made their sign-up bonus once-in-a-lifetime, which cards are the most churnable for us Canadians?

i.e. What cards award sign up bonuses with no lifetime limit?
Best to post your question in the dedicated Amex Canada forum found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2015-a.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by imverge
Best to post your question in the dedicated Amex Canada forum found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2015-a.html
I appreciate the effort, but I am specifically asking about Non-AMEX cards.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska visa comes to mind
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:24 pm

OOPS.. I understood possibly other Amex cards such as Business ones that don't have the lifetime limit.

I have churned Chase Marriott Visa
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:47 pm

Thanks guys. Do you think we should add this to the Wiki? That way, we can see at a glance, which cards are worth re-applying for after cancellation.

If you think it's a good idea, I can do the edit.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:16 am

Still considering the IHG Cap One card. But I'd like to know does anyone have any experience churning with Cap One? They are stricter on approvals...just wondering how they are on the "rinse and repeat".
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Yes!! I got transferred from CIBC last summer. Downgraded around August timeframe, upgraded in Jan and will downgrade sometime in the next month looking to upgrade again in Jan 2016
Thanks. I'll do that next time...a much easier process than re-applying.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I got transferred from CIBC last summer. Downgraded around August timeframe, upgraded in Jan and will downgrade sometime in the next month looking to upgrade again in Jan 2016

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Thanks. I'll do that next time...a much easier process than re-applying.

Interesting. I haven't tried downgrading on a first-year-free card. Should I downgrade to something like TD Green Visa (a card with, like, zero benefits), then a waiting period?

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 1, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Interesting. I haven't tried downgrading on a first-year-free card. Should I downgrade to something like TD Green Visa (a card with, like, zero benefits, then a waiting period?
That is what I did. I downgraded to a cash back card. Waited 6 months then upgraded during a promo.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you transfer out your RBC Avion points before downgrading? Wont they turn into like, regular non-FFP-rewards points if you downgrade or not?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:58 am

I recently switched from the Avion Infinite to the BA card 30k. If I switch back to the infinite could I expect to get the 15k again? And if I then upgrade to the Infinite Privilege will I get the 25k added to my 15k? Then switch back to BA and get 15k/30k again?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Do you transfer out your RBC Avion points before downgrading? Wont they turn into like, regular non-FFP-rewards points if you downgrade or not?
I heard that. But since I'm going back to an Avion card, having done nothing with my points when I was a no annual fee customer, I should be good to go. If not I'll be really p1ssed because all of my points have been earned while it I had the Avion card.

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I recently switched from the Avion Infinite to the BA card 30k. If I switch back to the infinite could I expect to get the 15k again? And if I then upgrade to the Infinite Privilege will I get the 25k added to my 15k? Then switch back to BA and get 15k/30k again?
I think all of that is possible. it's only one phone call away. I don't think they care if you're trying to maximize sign-up bonuses. I'd wait 3 months in between attempts...at least that's what worked for me. And I don't think you should expect First Year Free, certainly not for the BA or the Privilege cards. But hey, if you look at the fee as paying for points that otherwise cost more...then you should be ok with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.