Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by flipstah
To be fair Aeroplan redemption sucks to begin with, so that doesn't really count...
"sucks" only if you do not know how to play the game.

Late last year, I booked a pair of return business class tickets from Canada to Asia for 250,000 points and paid about C$300 total in taxes and fees.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:54 pm

I just heard from a friend that amex doesn't allow you to cancel the card and get back AF no matter how close to opening the card you cancel it. I had called them in the past and they had said by the end of the billing cycle which has the AF. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:57 am

I've spent $1000+ (1 month from approval) and yet to see my 60K MR (the referral bonus was posted correctly)

Oh boy, gonna be fun chasing down this one
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyer206
FYI, if you close your Platinum account mid-year and have used the $200 travel credit for that year, there will be a $200 charge back on your next statement. I cancelled my Platinum card and the CSR said I will be charged $200 on the next statement since I used the credit in February. So if anyone was planning to cancel their card in Oct., Nov., or Dec. keep it and cancel in Jan 2015. If Amex is going to claw back the $200 travel credit you might as well keep the card until Jan. Amex will pro-rate the annual fee for the balance of the unused months.
So just to be clear- it would appear then that really - you are entitled to 1 $200 credit per/ annual fee.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by gutfeeling
I just heard from a friend that amex doesn't allow you to cancel the card and get back AF no matter how close to opening the card you cancel it. I had called them in the past and they had said by the end of the billing cycle which has the AF. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Received bill for annual fee in January. Paid it. Cancelled card late April (3 months later). Full refund. Well the Gold card.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I've spent $1000+ (1 month from approval) and yet to see my 60K MR (the referral bonus was posted correctly)

Oh boy, gonna be fun chasing down this one
Same here. Hubby didn't get his 60K yet. going to wait till end this statement and then contact them.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: Amex Gold, Platinum, AeroplanPlus Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peacestar
Same here. Hubby didn't get his 60K yet. going to wait till end this statement and then contact them.
I did not get the 60k immediately after I reached the spend requirement, also not the points were not appeared after the statement posted and being paid. I had to call them and the was told they will have a look on my profile. After a few days I finally got my sweet 60k points.

I suggest you call them and don't wait until the statement posted. It should be there after you reach the requirement. It's not like aeroplane miles.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:37 am

I messaged them, they said they'll look into it (transfer to MR department)

This morning I saw my 60K posted (2~3 days after 1st and only message), I'm impressed and happy
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Mine took a secure message and a week or so later the 60K showed up.

So if I take the second $200 next Jan cancel in March lets say, they take the $200 back?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I messaged them, they said they'll look into it (transfer to MR department)

This morning I saw my 60K posted (2~3 days after 1st and only message), I'm impressed and happy
Yes I did and got the points too. The service is great. When I had issues with my gold card I had to send few messages and it took a month.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Just a data-point. I went travelling in Hong Kong and surprisingly, my Canadian-issued Platinum AMEX allowed me many benefits in Hong Kong. More specifically, this promotion:

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...nt/index.shtml

I was able to cut my bill at a restaurant by 25%. Apparently this works for a bunch of Maxim Group restaurants, and the discount goes up to 50%. This is absolutely amazing.

Also, on Fridays (and Thursdays according to physical ads), movie tickets are buy one get one free:

https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...ie/index.shtml
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ibopm
Just a data-point. I went travelling in Hong Kong and surprisingly, my Canadian-issued Platinum AMEX allowed me many benefits in Hong Kong. More specifically, this promotion:
Have always been the case since day 1 of Platinum, all retail discounts honoured regardless of country of issue.

And not unique to AMEX. Got 50% off Peking duck with Diners Club.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:12 am

As someone noticed on RFD, I then confirmed that we can now redeem $200 credit online at
American Express Travel - Canada
https://travel.americanexpress.ca/travel/arc.cfm?tab=h

Top-right corner even says I have $200 credit

At checkout it shows the same message as you in Option 1 (option 2 is just pay all the balance)
$200 Annual Travel Credit Travel Credit is not deducted from the total price upon reservation completion. If you select ‘Use Travel Credit’, once you confirm your reservation it will take 2 business days for the credit to appear on your account. Click on the Travel Credit Link above for full details, Terms & Conditions. Your Travel Credit expires on 12/31/14 (mm/dd/yy).

Last edited by jerryhung; Sep 28, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:19 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
That is great news. Will use it very soon!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:18 pm

If I applied for the Amex Platinum now. Started my $1000 spend in 3 months to get the bonus points.

Could I use the $200 travel bonus for the 2014 calendar year right away for a Hotel stay in January 2015 and use the 2015 $200 credit next year?

Basically if the hotel stay is booked in 2014 but the stay is in 2015 which year does the travel credit count for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.