MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:22 am

I'm not surprised, since USDM has stopped signups, so it's logical they want to stop others from transferring/accumulate miles externally

Glad I did mine already, now I'll have 168K AA miles in a month, not sure what to do though
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by crimsona
Was trying to move 100k Aeroplan to US airways via points.com, but looks like they've removed US DM already?

Aeroplan to AA also seems to be locked down ( was 1:0.34 or so before?)
It's too bad it's over. US becoming AA miles are so easy to use for the world's best F redemptions. I hope many of you got in on the transfer, which I've encouraged you to do here multiple times over the past few months. When you're flying in your first class apartment on Etihad from LHR to AUH, you'll be glad you made that transfer!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:37 am

Very thankful I moved over a few Aeroplan before they stopped. Phew.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'm not surprised, since USDM has stopped signups, so it's logical they want to stop others from transferring/accumulate miles externally

Glad I did mine already, now I'll have 168K AA miles in a month, not sure what to do though
Jerry, 40K AA miles one way, LHR to AUH in Etihad's new first class apartments would give you an incredible experience.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
It's too bad it's over. US becoming AA miles are so easy to use for the world's best F redemptions. I hope many of you got in on the transfer, which I've encouraged you to do here multiple times over the past few months. When you're flying in your first class apartment on Etihad from LHR to AUH, you'll be glad you made that transfer!
Yeah - availability on CX and JL is amazing far out, possible with some flexibility during the year and also good close to departure. No change fees for dates or routing which is SO much better than Aeroplan's $90+tax. They're also pretty generous with cancels/redeposits - I've been able to get the $150 fee waived after waiting for "insignificant" 5 or 10 minute changes.

Even without the USDM transition, I converted to more than 350,000 AA miles through Esso Extra and Avion.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Jerry, 40K AA miles one way, LHR to AUH in Etihad's new first class apartments would give you an incredible experience.
Ha, except I have to get to LHR first
I'll be on the $200 JFK-AUH this year, in Y though

I'm thinking more Off-Peak to Europe (or other destinations), yes, in Y
Mid-May is great time to visit (not too much crowd, reasonable hotel prices, usually okay weather)

You have plenty of options with American AAdvantage frequent flyer miles for flying to many places in Europe with American off-peak awards for 20,000 miles one-way. Off-peak season to Europe is October 15 to May 15. This means an AAdvantage frequent flyer miles award ticket is only 20,000 miles each way.
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....d-tbex-athens/
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

Air Miles' Dream Miles "sweet spot"

I was talking about Air Miles "Dream Miles" redemption with a friend the other day, and I realized there are still some "sweet spots". At least here in the Maritimes.
My friend redeemed 300 AM for a Ski/Snowboard Lift Ticket & Warm Beverage at Poley Mountain in Sussex, NB. The retail price of the lift ticket is 40.68 incl. tax, making this redemption a "whopping" 13.56 CPM! Even a bit more if you factor the warm beverage. Better than the 10.52 CPM of cash rewards…
Air Miles Gold members get a discount and can redeem this for only 240 miles.

There might be similar deals in other regions.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I was talking about Air Miles "Dream Miles" redemption with a friend the other day, and I realized there are still some "sweet spots". At least here in the Maritimes.
My friend redeemed 300 AM for a Ski/Snowboard Lift Ticket & Warm Beverage at Poley Mountain in Sussex, NB. The retail price of the lift ticket is 40.68 incl. tax, making this redemption a "whopping" 13.56 CPM! Even a bit more if you factor the warm beverage. Better than the 10.52 CPM of cash rewards…
Air Miles Gold members get a discount and can redeem this for only 240 miles.

There might be similar deals in other regions.
That is good. The 40% off Greyhound ticket for 150 isn't too bad either if you're going long distances.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
Smile

Originally Posted by jerryhung
TD is true to their inconsistency, across different products

See all the problems with TD Aeroplan Infinite card - missing Aeroplan #, missing points, constantly having to call in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24538158
Thanks for all the info. Not looking good for getting the points fast; especially because I called and found out my closing date is not til the 15th (I was quickly doing the spend, thinking it would be a few days from now). Oh well, I already booked the flight out to Hawaii, if we have trouble getting back home, so sad!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:39 pm

so basically is $40 fee for $2000 spend, 2% fee, I may try it, where I can find no fee ATM?

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Without load fees, no.

With load fees, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...per-month.html.

I have also seen PayPower Visa Reload Packs at Esso, but I'm not sure if these can be purchased with a CC and I don't know their associated load fees.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:41 pm

anyone have try this PayPower CANADA? how much is the fee total?

Without load fees, no.

I have also seen PayPower Visa Reload Packs at Esso, but I'm not sure if these can be purchased with a CC and I don't know their associated load fees.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Without load fees, no.

I've seen the reload packs at Safeway too!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:12 pm

just checked: Max. Weekly ATM Withdrawal is $250 http://services.petro-canada.ca/pivotcard/what-it-costs
Originally Posted by ecgz88
so basically is $40 fee for $2000 spend, 2% fee, I may try it, where I can find no fee ATM?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hello fellow Canucks! I am just looking to get your opinion on how you would spend points based on what I currently have. It would be nice to get your opinion as I know many of your are very creative in maximizing points' redemption by taking interested routes and combining trips. I am based in YVR and I don't mind flying in Y or J.

So, if you had the following, how would you spend it?

Aeroplan Miles: 90,000
SPG Points: 80,000
Avios Points: 205,000
Asia Miles: 48,000
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by loun80
Hello fellow Canucks! I am just looking to get your opinion on how you would spend points based on what I currently have. It would be nice to get your opinion as I know many of your are very creative in maximizing points' redemption by taking interested routes and combining trips. I am based in YVR and I don't mind flying in Y or J.

So, if you had the following, how would you spend it?

Aeroplan Miles: 90,000
SPG Points: 80,000
Avios Points: 205,000
Asia Miles: 48,000
You should start by figuring out where you want to go. This is a very open ended question.

One piece of advice, though, is blow that Avios balance before April 28th. Those points are devaluing, particularly for use on BA's one world partners. For example, going from YVR-HKG in J on CX currently costs 60k points one-way. That's jumping to 90k points after the devaluation.

The points will still be useful for short flights (e.g. YVR - LAX), but since you have so many I'd consider a bigger trip.

How'd you get that balance? If it's from spending on the RBC BA card, you may have earned a companion certificate. Do some googling on how that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.