Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:48 pm
  #1411  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YWG
Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Posts: 2,182
Up to now I've been reluctant to sign up for proprietary travel CCs like Avion, BMO World Elite and the like because it would take me more than 1 year to accumulate enough points to fly somewhere worthwhile, and I don't want to pay the AF for year 2.

But I guess if I look at it as a hotel CC then it's not so bad... say, with a $1000 spend per month on avg, I could end up with $540 (including signup bonus) to use on hotel. That might give me around 4 nights if I find a great rate. Not nearly as good as Marriott Visa or SPG Amex, but not all that bad either. If the Mrs and I both sign up it's even better.

How is BMO's booking engine for hotels? Anyone know if the rates are decent?
heraclitus is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:26 pm
  #1412  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by ericosuave
can you still collect points ,such as Aeroplan on flights or Spg , Marriott on hotel bookings ? If yes that would be a pretty good card to have .
I have MC World Elite cash back card ( cibc ) but you can average only about 1.25 % cash back due to tier system .
Not in my experience, and I am not surprised. 3rd party booking is always YMMV

My bookings at Towne Place Suites by Marriott had no points, but stay credit
I even had email with manager on this topic


Originally Posted by heraclitus
Up to now I've been reluctant to sign up for proprietary travel CCs like Avion, BMO World Elite and the like because it would take me more than 1 year to accumulate enough points to fly somewhere worthwhile, and I don't want to pay the AF for year 2.

But I guess if I look at it as a hotel CC then it's not so bad... say, with a $1000 spend per month on avg, I could end up with $540 (including signup bonus) to use on hotel. That might give me around 4 nights if I find a great rate. Not nearly as good as Marriott Visa or SPG Amex, but not all that bad either. If the Mrs and I both sign up it's even better.

How is BMO's booking engine for hotels? Anyone know if the rates are decent?
The rates are okay, on par
but some cities, the selections are very limited
jerryhung is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:51 pm
  #1413  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYZ
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by ericosuave
can you still collect points ,such as Aeroplan on flights or Spg , Marriott on hotel bookings ? If yes that would be a pretty good card to have .
I have MC World Elite cash back card ( cibc ) but you can average only about 1.25 % cash back due to tier system .
I find it humorous that this is what CIBC advertises on the card's page:

Earn a bonus of $25 in cash back rewards if your net annual card spend is more than $45,000 annually2
This card is pretty bad considering spend beyond 50k only gets you a 1% return
zer0k1 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:52 pm
  #1414  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by jerryhung
There was no booking fee
but there is a $30 cancel/change fee EVEN if it's 100% Refundable reservation (I think same as ExpediaForTD or Expedia in general)

I'd be careful on that


AMEX Travel Service, on the other hand, has no booking fee nor cancel fee
I've canceled 2 reservations in the last month, on 2 cards (Plat/Gold), no fees at all
What kinda reservations have you cancelled? Flights?
brightaxis is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:17 pm
  #1415  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: YYZ
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by brightaxis
What kinda reservations have you cancelled? Flights?
I've cancelled a fully refundable hotel and was dinged with the fee.
travel_geek is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:56 pm
  #1416  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by brightaxis
What kinda reservations have you cancelled? Flights?
Originally Posted by travel_geek
I've cancelled a fully refundable hotel and was dinged with the fee.
Mine was a $70 funny refundable hotel
so I passed on the $25 cancel fee and just kept it, before I canceled my card


FAQ
https://www.bmorewards.com/en/public/faq.html
Are there booking fees and/or cancellation fees?
You can use your points to cover the booking fees. There is no online booking fee. A fee of $29.95, plus applicable taxes, will be charged per phone booking. A $25 change/cancellation fee applies for each change or cancellation to your travel arrangements. Supplier change/cancellations fees can also apply and will be displayed at time of booking based on your specific travel reservation. Booking fees, change/cancellations fees are non-refundable.
jerryhung is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:44 am
  #1417  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Just noticed one (1) MBNA card is back on GCR, but it is show $0 rebate:

http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...-PlatinumPlus/

Hopefully once MBNA is back on GCR, they will do a promo for $100 Rebates
alc is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:29 am
  #1418  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Posts: 166
Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard has been discontinued. I put a note on the Wiki.
pointshogger is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:09 am
  #1419  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYZ
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by pointshogger
Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard has been discontinued. I put a note on the Wiki.
What happens to people who have it?
zer0k1 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:20 am
  #1420  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: YOW
Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Posts: 273
Looks like it has been replaced by the Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...ards%2Fcompare

Same annual fee of $120 but only 10,000 bonus miles.
Cruban is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:03 am
  #1421  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by Cruban
Looks like it has been replaced by the Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...ards%2Fcompare

Same annual fee of $120 but only 10,000 bonus miles.
We moved on from C1 Travel Aspire a while back but it was still on our radar for churn potential and low carry cost for the points. But lack of anniversary bonus really drives this card into the dirt and will completely drop it from our radar now
Cerenity is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:42 am
  #1422  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYZ
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by Cerenity
We moved on from C1 Travel Aspire a while back but it was still on our radar for churn potential and low carry cost for the points. But lack of anniversary bonus really drives this card into the dirt and will completely drop it from our radar now
But it is still 2% travel cashback that can be redeemed for statement credit...multiple times
zer0k1 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:53 pm
  #1423  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Posts: 695
Folks, signed up the wife and myself for the Starwood Amex card. Question - would I meet the minimum $500 spend req if I were to buy a bunch of gift cards totalling that value? eg WalMart?
injian is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:57 pm
  #1424  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Originally Posted by injian
Folks, signed up the wife and myself for the Starwood Amex card. Question - would I meet the minimum $500 spend req if I were to buy a bunch of gift cards totalling that value? eg WalMart?
yes it will.
alc is offline  
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:01 pm
  #1425  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by injian
Folks, signed up the wife and myself for the Starwood Amex card. Question - would I meet the minimum $500 spend req if I were to buy a bunch of gift cards totalling that value? eg WalMart?
yup!
love the pics on your trip reports!
Cerenity is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.