MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I was declined for the MBNA Alaska card but was able to get it approved after offering to move $1000 credit from a different card over. Has anyone ever moved credit from another Alaska card in order to do the same?? Also, I offered $1000, could I have done it with less? what is the lowest credit limit this card can have?
$500
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
$500
Ok good to know - thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For my BMO US$ mastercard I had to move $5000 limit from my main BMO Gold Airmiles, now World Elite.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:19 pm

Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:43 pm

So what are everyone's recommendations for churning multiple Alaska cards?

How many should you have open at any one time?

Is it recommended to downgrade your older cards so you still have that credit available to move over to a new application (and also avoid a credit hit for cancelling a card)? Or do you cancel the older cards completely?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
So what are everyone's recommendations for churning multiple Alaska cards?

How many should you have open at any one time?

Is it recommended to downgrade your older cards so you still have that credit available to move over to a new application (and also avoid a credit hit for cancelling a card)? Or do you cancel the older cards completely?
As of now their system does not allow for product switching. We'll see what happens once they're system is fully restored.

I don't see any reason to cancel the card with all the credit. If you move it over to a different card before cancelling then you kind of guarantee approval for your next application. To keep it less awkward I am keeping 1 non-Alaska MBNA card open (MBNA Rewards card). That is where I will "store" my unneeded credit. On my next application, if I am not approved I will have them move over $500 from that card to a new Alaska card.

When it comes time to close an Alaska card I will ask them to move the credit back over to the Rewards card.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
As of now their system does not allow for product switching. We'll see what happens once they're system is fully restored.

I don't see any reason to cancel the card with all the credit. If you move it over to a different card before cancelling then you kind of guarantee approval for your next application. To keep it less awkward I am keeping 1 non-Alaska MBNA card open (MBNA Rewards card). That is where I will "store" my unneeded credit. On my next application, if I am not approved I will have them move over $500 from that card to a new Alaska card.

When it comes time to close an Alaska card I will ask them to move the credit back over to the Rewards card.
Sorry for the newb question but why would you fill out an app again and take the credit hit? can you not just call mbna, tell them you want the alaska card and ask them to take $500 from your rewards card to do it? Or is that not possible?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by rsoares28
Sorry for the newb question but why would you fill out an app again and take the credit hit? can you not just call mbna, tell them you want the alaska card and ask them to take $500 from your rewards card to do it? Or is that not possible?
I am quite new to the MBNA game myself. That would be great if its possible. From what I understood that might be tricky though. I called a few times over the past 6 months asking to product switch from Rewards to Alaska, each time I was told their system still hasn't restored that feature. Not really sure how their system works, especially once the "new" system is up.

Last edited by zer0k1; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:41 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by rsoares28
Good question, and even non-newbs would ask the same, so no worries!

If you have say $5,000 credit limit on an existing card, you can certainly request an FI to shave some of that limit over to create a new card (assuming they also agree to give you all the welcome promo benefits), but it will still require a 'new application' and associated credit pull (usually). On a few occasions I've been forced to do this as I had approached the maximum credit limit within that FI's umbrella, and a new card would not be created unless I agreed to release/shift some limit from an existing card.

It's only if you convert a card completely (with the full/partial credit limit entact) via a product change, that you would keep this asset as the same account within your credit file, even if the card number switches to a new number. But, as Z has mentioned, MBNA is currently not allowing product changes...until further notice.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
TD Visa Infinite Card

Hi, just wondering if someone can tell me how quickly I would get the 15,000 points on first purchase and then the 10,000 after spending $1,000. I'm guessing I need to wait til at least the end of the pertinent billing cycle--and then do the points go immediately to the Aeroplan account? I am hoping it won't take months to get the points since I'd like to book Hawaii for next winter soon....
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by taylor
Hi, just wondering if someone can tell me how quickly I would get the 15,000 points on first purchase and then the 10,000 after spending $1,000. I'm guessing I need to wait til at least the end of the pertinent billing cycle--and then do the points go immediately to the Aeroplan account? I am hoping it won't take months to get the points since I'd like to book Hawaii for next winter soon....
My guess, it's same as TD Aeroplan Infinite

- You wait until the statement, then 2-3 days after to see miles in Aeroplan
I guess 15K on 1st statement, then 10K on the statement after the $1000 spending

- assuming TD does have your correct Aeroplan # on file (you'll see it on your statement). Otherwise you'll be like many of us, seeing Aeroplan #0 for 2~3 statements until it gets fixed
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jerryhung
My guess, it's same as TD Aeroplan Infinite

- You wait until the statement, then 2-3 days after to see miles in Aeroplan
I guess 15K on 1st statement, then 10K on the statement after the $1000 spending

- assuming TD does have your correct Aeroplan # on file (you'll see it on your statement). Otherwise you'll be like many of us, seeing Aeroplan #0 for 2~3 statements until it gets fixed

I got the 15,000 on the first statement but the 10,000 did not show up on the statement after I had made the $1000 spending requirement nor did the rebate on the $120 FYF deal that was on when I applied. I called in and was told that the 10,000 wouldn't show up until 2 cycles after I had completed the spending. I have now had another statement and they still aren't there. I will wait for one more billing period and if it's not there I will need to call in again. The agent/rep was able to manually credit the $120 though. YMMV
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:34 pm

TD is true to their inconsistency, across different products

See all the problems with TD Aeroplan Infinite card - missing Aeroplan #, missing points, constantly having to call in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24538158
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:25 pm

Was trying to move 100k Aeroplan to US airways via points.com, but looks like they've removed US DM already?

Aeroplan to AA also seems to be locked down ( was 1:0.34 or so before?)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Was trying to move 100k Aeroplan to US airways via points.com, but looks like they've removed US DM already?

Aeroplan to AA also seems to be locked down ( was 1:0.34 or so before?)
Wow. I was expecting it to last another couple of weeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.