MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:12 am

RBC Avion targeted offers

What are the best targeted offers you've seen for the RBC Avion cards.

Last year my wife go 15k sign-up bonus, an extra 15k if she spent $15k within a year (gets you to 45k points with the spending amount)

I received an offer for 5k points if I added a second card for $50 (took it).

Incidentally, I also called in to complain about not getting the same offer as my wife did. They said I was offered a discounted interest rate. When I said that was useless to me, they offered my 5k points as a consolation.

As I approach the end of my FYF, I plan on downgrading to the RBC rewards gold card (no AF). Hoping to get targeted for an upgrade back to the Visa Infinite version down the road.

Haven't called them or anything to see if I can get something pre-emptively.

What has been your experience?

As an aside, I have not been a heavy user of the card. Spent around $5k on it last year. Will try to ramp that up before I convert to the free card.

I plan on using my Avion card and my SPG Amex as primary cards this year.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
What are the best targeted offers you've seen for the RBC Avion cards.

Last year my wife go 15k sign-up bonus, an extra 15k if she spent $15k within a year (gets you to 45k points with the spending amount)

I received an offer for 5k points if I added a second card for $50 (took it).

Incidentally, I also called in to complain about not getting the same offer as my wife did. They said I was offered a discounted interest rate. When I said that was useless to me, they offered my 5k points as a consolation.

As I approach the end of my FYF, I plan on downgrading to the RBC rewards gold card (no AF). Hoping to get targeted for an upgrade back to the Visa Infinite version down the road.

Haven't called them or anything to see if I can get something pre-emptively.

What has been your experience?

As an aside, I have not been a heavy user of the card. Spent around $5k on it last year. Will try to ramp that up before I convert to the free card.

I plan on using my Avion card and my SPG Amex as primary cards this year.
I've heard of people convincing them for a second year free, but that's about it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:15 am
alc

I got 10K retention offer when I cancel my card last year.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by alc
I got 10K retention offer when I cancel my card last year.
How much spending did you put on your card?

I'm curious if anyone has downgraded to RBC Gold Rewards and then subsequently was targeted for upsell to RBC Infinite.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:27 am
alc

How much spending did you put on your card?
I had about 40K spend for the year that I have the card

I'm curious if anyone has downgraded to RBC Gold Rewards and then subsequently was targeted for upsell to RBC Infinite.
Are you trying to keep your Avion points as RBC rewards for now and then once you upgrade back to the Avion card, they become Avion points again?

I didn't take the retention offer for a number of reasons. But in term for my points, I had plans to convert them all to BA or AA. Hence, there is no need to keep the card. My thought is that after sometimes (a year, 2 years, 3 years, who knows) I can re-apply card when they have 20K sign-up bonus or 15K+FYF offer again at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:56 am

I'm trying to keep my Avion points. And if you convert to the RBC Rewards Gold card, you can keep the points "alive". It's a first-year-free card. But you only get 0.5x Avion points per $ spent...so it's not a good card. Really just to keep the account active.

I really don't want to cancel the account. Need some accounts to age a bit to help bolster my credit score (which was whacked by a lot of apps last year. healthy, but I want to get back over 800).

My plan with Avion is to convert to AA at some point, probably when they do a 20-30% transfer bonus. But I'm taking a wait-and-see with AA for a devaluation. since I don't have a near-term use for the points I will wait. Longer-term I'd like to test out one-way F on JAL.

If it turns out OK and i want to top up my points, I'll get the Platinum avion or something. And, hopefully, get a target offer to go back to the Avion Infinite Visa. I really liked my wife's offer...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

That offer is good for Marriott Rewards Elite members only...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by alc
I had about 40K spend for the year that I have the card

Are you trying to keep your Avion points as RBC rewards for now and then once you upgrade back to the Avion card, they become Avion points again?

I didn't take the retention offer for a number of reasons. But in term for my points, I had plans to convert them all to BA or AA. Hence, there is no need to keep the card. My thought is that after sometimes (a year, 2 years, 3 years, who knows) I can re-apply card when they have 20K sign-up bonus or 15K+FYF offer again at that time.
Problem is, when you downgrade and then go to upgrade again (or change cards on the same account to essentially churn), most times you are not eligible for the sign-up bonus.

What I am curious about is 'how far back' they go on the account with checking if you've ever held that card before. I've downgraded with CIBC (Aerogold down to no fee and back up again - successful with sign-up bonus) and BMO (world elite MC upgrade once only) and now want to try with my RBC Target Redcard MC (which USED to be a BA Avion Visa, and now I want to try my hand at the RBC Avion).

I would think that banks like this would be doing their best to prevent churning on the same account, but I'd like to know anyone that has been successful with multiple downgrades/upgrades on the same account, and how many years you left in between to ensure it wasn't tracked somehow?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pokee
Problem is, when you downgrade and then go to upgrade again (or change cards on the same account to essentially churn), most times you are not eligible for the sign-up bonus.

What I am curious about is 'how far back' they go on the account with checking if you've ever held that card before. I've downgraded with CIBC (Aerogold down to no fee and back up again - successful with sign-up bonus) and BMO (world elite MC upgrade once only) and now want to try with my RBC Target Redcard MC (which USED to be a BA Avion Visa, and now I want to try my hand at the RBC Avion).

I would think that banks like this would be doing their best to prevent churning on the same account, but I'd like to know anyone that has been successful with multiple downgrades/upgrades on the same account, and how many years you left in between to ensure it wasn't tracked somehow?
I've upgraded/downgraded my Avion at least 5 times in the last 6-7 years, and got the signup bonus everytime. I usually upgrade whenever they have a fee waiver promo.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:36 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I've upgraded/downgraded my Avion at least 5 times in the last 6-7 years, and got the signup bonus everytime. I usually upgrade whenever they have a fee waiver promo.
Thanks for the datapoints.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: *void
How about a little bit more info, if you don't mind. How much do you spend on this card per year? +$5K, +$10K....higher?

IME, I've found it easier to get the promo when upgrading if it's a card that has never had the promo before, or if it has been used a 'fair' amount in the past year. Plus, being an actual banking client with the card issuer with other products and assets, helps the cause. And of course, it never hurts to have a friend on the inside, to help push your request through.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
How about a little bit more info, if you don't mind. How much do you spend on this card per year? +$5K, +$10K....higher?
I spend a few hundred dollars (i.e. don't use the card except for bonus chasing).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:23 pm

AWESOME news! You've now made me feel much more comfy about my RBC card switch. Even better with RBC - you can do it ONLINE! No pesky agents to deal with!

I have existing, long-time accounts at CIBC and BMO and now I am feeling more adventurous to try this with those banks more frequently. I guess we'll all figure out how 'clever' their systems are and how far back they go at some point!

Forget churning and credit pulls: the 'upgrade/downgrade' game could keep us all swimming in points!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by pokee
AWESOME news! You've now made me feel much more comfy about my RBC card switch. Even better with RBC - you can do it ONLINE! No pesky agents to deal with!

I have existing, long-time accounts at CIBC and BMO and now I am feeling more adventurous to try this with those banks more frequently. I guess we'll all figure out how 'clever' their systems are and how far back they go at some point!

Forget churning and credit pulls: the 'upgrade/downgrade' game could keep us all swimming in points!
could be quite lucrative with multiple products, for example with BMO

No Fee -> Air Miles -> AM Gold -> World Elite -> No Fee

since when i asked them, they said as long as you are upgrading, you usually qualify for bonus offers.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
could be quite lucrative with multiple products, for example with BMO

No Fee -> Air Miles -> AM Gold -> World Elite -> No Fee

since when i asked them, they said as long as you are upgrading, you usually qualify for bonus offers.
Eeeeexcellent! And it's time for an upgrade with BMO, so.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.