MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by alexteacher
I have heard that a waiting period of 6 months or so is best?
And, also, do you know how many times someone can churn these cards?

Do you know if creditors take a view one way or the other when they see that someone has been applying for 5-10 cards in a year, for example?
Opinions will vary, but for Amex I'll personally try to adhere to the 6 months guideline.
I don't know an upper limit on churning, as I'm relatively new to this too.

I don't know how deep the creditors will look into your file...you would think that with online instant approvals, the number of opened accounts isn't being considered. But I don't know. I just hope that they aren't keeling over when they see how many I have opened and cancelled.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
JJJ's advice is good. Here's what has worked for our family for years:

1. Apply for a different Amex card every 3+ months.

2. After 6+ months, close the card.

3. After 6+ months, re-apply for the same card.

I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for us!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Opinions will vary, but for Amex I'll personally try to adhere to the 6 months guideline.
I don't know an upper limit on churning, as I'm relatively new to this too.

I don't know how deep the creditors will look into your file...you would think that with online instant approvals, the number of opened accounts isn't being considered. But I don't know. I just hope that they aren't keeling over when they see how many I have opened and cancelled.
6 months sounds good with Amex, I think. I waited 8 months the first time..

Originally Posted by Preacher7
JJJ's advice is good. Here's what has worked for our family for years:

1. Apply for a different Amex card every 3+ months.

2. After 6+ months, close the card.

3. After 6+ months, re-apply for the same card.

I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for us!
My pattern is currently off, but yours does sound the best. ^
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by alexteacher
6 months sounds good with Amex, I think. I waited 8 months the first time..

My pattern is currently off, but yours does sound the best. ^
What you have to understand is that Preacher7 has everyone in the family carrying Amex cards, including the pet dog and orangutan. This makes it easy to follow the schedule he outlined.

But, if you are a single person, or even if you are a paired couple but with ONLY one good card to churn, it's impossible/hard to do the conga referrals to keep the points within the family. You'll have to adjust to suit.

JJJ, passing the bananas along.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
What you have to understand is that Preacher7 has everyone in the family carrying Amex cards, including the pet dog and orangutan. This makes it easy to follow the schedule he outlined.

But, if you are a single person, or even if you are a paired couple but with ONLY one good card to churn, it's impossible/hard to do the conga referrals to keep the points within the family. You'll have to adjust to suit.

JJJ, passing the bananas along.
True. And man, was it tough to get the orangutan an SIN!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:24 pm

it seems that they have updated the spg referral

Edit: weird. the biz version of the card is still 5k ref and 10k signup. except via ref-trick its 10k ... still only 10k for the person signing up though

Last edited by zer0k1; Jan 19, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Marriott 50K Sign-up Bonus

Came across this promo again while booking a recent stay at a Marriott.
FYF and bonus points trigger after first purchase plus Cat 4 cert.

https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407020

Edit: Looks like its targeted for Elite members. I'm only a Silver and it triggered for me.

Last edited by Cruban; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm Reason: Targeted offer
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cruban

Edit: Looks like its targeted for Elite members. I'm only a Silver and it triggered for me.
Interesting, since the general/public link is still active, at http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm (=https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059)

See this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post24198294
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Great offer. Thanks for sharing it, Cruban. My wife and I signed up for that one a couple of years ago and got excellent value from it.

Nice to see the pot sweetened a bit by SPG and Marriott Rewards
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Aeroplan, Marriott Gold Elite, Nexus
Originally Posted by Cruban

Platinum and I can't access it!! The irony - already have the CC though
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:40 am

With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by tommy99
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
+1 Just spent 3 weeks in NZ and even though it is beautiful I would argue for the hours of plane you would be better off in the Rockies. Saying that SQ F in Canada doesn't exist so......
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by tommy99

Japan springs to mind.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:59 pm

What is the cheapest way to keep a Via Preference (Viarail) account alive?

Is there any other program where I can exchange points for Via Preference points?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Has anyone heard if the GreatCanadian Rebates offer for the MBNA Alaska Air Mastercard is coming back... I read somewhere a while back that it was going to come back in December, but that still hasn't happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.