Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 am
  #1366  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by alexteacher
I have heard that a waiting period of 6 months or so is best?
And, also, do you know how many times someone can churn these cards?

Do you know if creditors take a view one way or the other when they see that someone has been applying for 5-10 cards in a year, for example?
Opinions will vary, but for Amex I'll personally try to adhere to the 6 months guideline.
I don't know an upper limit on churning, as I'm relatively new to this too.

I don't know how deep the creditors will look into your file...you would think that with online instant approvals, the number of opened accounts isn't being considered. But I don't know. I just hope that they aren't keeling over when they see how many I have opened and cancelled.
JJonahJ is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:42 pm
  #1367  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,522
JJJ's advice is good. Here's what has worked for our family for years:

1. Apply for a different Amex card every 3+ months.

2. After 6+ months, close the card.

3. After 6+ months, re-apply for the same card.

I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for us!
Preacher7 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:02 am
  #1368  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Opinions will vary, but for Amex I'll personally try to adhere to the 6 months guideline.
I don't know an upper limit on churning, as I'm relatively new to this too.

I don't know how deep the creditors will look into your file...you would think that with online instant approvals, the number of opened accounts isn't being considered. But I don't know. I just hope that they aren't keeling over when they see how many I have opened and cancelled.
6 months sounds good with Amex, I think. I waited 8 months the first time..

Originally Posted by Preacher7
JJJ's advice is good. Here's what has worked for our family for years:

1. Apply for a different Amex card every 3+ months.

2. After 6+ months, close the card.

3. After 6+ months, re-apply for the same card.

I hope it works for you as well as it has worked for us!
My pattern is currently off, but yours does sound the best. ^
alexteacher is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:42 pm
  #1369  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by alexteacher
6 months sounds good with Amex, I think. I waited 8 months the first time..

My pattern is currently off, but yours does sound the best. ^
What you have to understand is that Preacher7 has everyone in the family carrying Amex cards, including the pet dog and orangutan. This makes it easy to follow the schedule he outlined.

But, if you are a single person, or even if you are a paired couple but with ONLY one good card to churn, it's impossible/hard to do the conga referrals to keep the points within the family. You'll have to adjust to suit.

JJJ, passing the bananas along.
JJonahJ is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:50 pm
  #1370  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,522
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
What you have to understand is that Preacher7 has everyone in the family carrying Amex cards, including the pet dog and orangutan. This makes it easy to follow the schedule he outlined.

But, if you are a single person, or even if you are a paired couple but with ONLY one good card to churn, it's impossible/hard to do the conga referrals to keep the points within the family. You'll have to adjust to suit.

JJJ, passing the bananas along.
True. And man, was it tough to get the orangutan an SIN!
Preacher7 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:24 pm
  #1371  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYZ
Posts: 527
it seems that they have updated the spg referral

Edit: weird. the biz version of the card is still 5k ref and 10k signup. except via ref-trick its 10k ... still only 10k for the person signing up though

Last edited by zer0k1; Jan 19, 2015 at 1:30 pm
zer0k1 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:52 pm
  #1372  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: YOW
Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Posts: 273
Marriott 50K Sign-up Bonus

Came across this promo again while booking a recent stay at a Marriott.
FYF and bonus points trigger after first purchase plus Cat 4 cert.

https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407020

Edit: Looks like its targeted for Elite members. I'm only a Silver and it triggered for me.

Last edited by Cruban; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm Reason: Targeted offer
Cruban is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:02 pm
  #1373  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by Cruban
Came across this promo again while booking a recent stay at a Marriott.
FYF and bonus points trigger after first purchase plus Cat 4 cert.

https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407020

Edit: Looks like its targeted for Elite members. I'm only a Silver and it triggered for me.
Interesting, since the general/public link is still active, at http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm (=https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059)

See this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post24198294
jerryhung is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:46 am
  #1374  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YWG
Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Posts: 2,176
Great offer. Thanks for sharing it, Cruban. My wife and I signed up for that one a couple of years ago and got excellent value from it.

Nice to see the pot sweetened a bit by SPG and Marriott Rewards
heraclitus is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:24 pm
  #1375  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: YHM
Programs: Flying Blue, Aeroplan, Marriott Gold Elite, Nexus
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by Cruban
Came across this promo again while booking a recent stay at a Marriott.
FYF and bonus points trigger after first purchase plus Cat 4 cert.

https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407020

Edit: Looks like its targeted for Elite members. I'm only a Silver and it triggered for me.
Platinum and I can't access it!! The irony - already have the CC though
bilingualMK is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:40 am
  #1376  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: YYZ, Canada
Posts: 120
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
tommy99 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:50 am
  #1377  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by tommy99
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
+1 Just spent 3 weeks in NZ and even though it is beautiful I would argue for the hours of plane you would be better off in the Rockies. Saying that SQ F in Canada doesn't exist so......
flyertalker00156 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:32 am
  #1378  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: yyz
Posts: 1,612
Originally Posted by tommy99
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
Japan springs to mind.
grandgourmand is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:59 pm
  #1379  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: YXY
Posts: 3,509
What is the cheapest way to keep a Via Preference (Viarail) account alive?

Is there any other program where I can exchange points for Via Preference points?
sokolov is offline  
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:25 pm
  #1380  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Has anyone heard if the GreatCanadian Rebates offer for the MBNA Alaska Air Mastercard is coming back... I read somewhere a while back that it was going to come back in December, but that still hasn't happened.
Vantiger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.