MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ericosuave
Quote:

Assuming ,that all travel bookings have to be done thru BMO rewards centre , what are the actual prices compared to booking thru actual airline or hotel website. I did some searches and they look more or less the same .
But you have to sign in to the BMO Rewards to finalize and I do not know if they add other fees ( taxes , booking fees etc ) Does anyone have experience with them ?
Hi there!

I had the BMO World Elite MC last year (got the 40,000 point bonus!).

Redeemed for a flight through the BMO rewards website. Easy process. It showed the total cost of the flight all-in, with a corresponding points value. (E.g. Flight was $562.50, points required 56, 250).

No booking fees, no hassle.

Didn't use the 4 PP lounge access since I have Plat AMEX.

Planning on churning this card again with the new FYF offer.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by 4stroke
Hi there!

I had the BMO World Elite MC last year (got the 40,000 point bonus!).

Redeemed for a flight through the BMO rewards website. Easy process. It showed the total cost of the flight all-in, with a corresponding points value. (E.g. Flight was $562.50, points required 56, 250).

No booking fees, no hassle.

Didn't use the 4 PP lounge access since I have Plat AMEX.

Do you need to have the full number of points for the travel item or can you apply the points you have if less and pay for the difference on the card?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by 4stroke
Reading through the terms for the BMO offer, looks like hey are strict on churning but maybe the system is flawed... Worth a try at least, should still get first year free, maybe just no 30k points

1 BMO Rewards points that are awarded as a welcome bonus are only available to first time new BMO World Elite MasterCard cardholders and will not be awarded to current or former BMO World Elite MasterCard/BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or subsequently open a new account. If a cardholder cancels their BMO World Elite MasterCard within 30 days of opening the account and the annual fee is refunded to the cardholder, the welcome bonus will also be cancelled. The BMO Rewards points which are awarded as a welcome bonus will be reflected on the first statement following the cardholder’s first purchase on the BMO World Elite MasterCard.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by zer0k1
What happens to people who have it?
I gave Capital One a call as they said anyone who still has the credit card will continue to keep it so long as we do not cancel it.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SM-N900W8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/537.16)

Which credit card is best to collect American Airlines aaadvantage miles? I know the RBC Infinite Avion can transfer to aaadvantage miles, any other cards that may be better?

Reason being is because I am a member if aaadvantage and a business owner. Today I just realized that I can pay Canada Revenue Agency using credit card which I had no idea! This can mean 500000 miles annually from just taxes alone!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Originally Posted by TheSinister
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SM-N900W8 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/537.16)

Which credit card is best to collect American Airlines aaadvantage miles? I know the RBC Infinite Avion can transfer to aaadvantage miles, any other cards that may be better?

Reason being is because I am a member if aaadvantage and a business owner. Today I just realized that I can pay Canada Revenue Agency using credit card which I had no idea! This can mean 500000 miles annually from just taxes alone!
You pay $500000 in taxes anually....and that too as a business owner....??..
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Paying the CRA with a CC incurs a 2% fee IIRC.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
HST can add up. add source deductions and 100 employee's and it will add up fast!

I just took a look, it's better than you think, for you personally, business wise 2% could add up but it's an expense. The points...it's up to you...

The better part is Plastiq is the provider. I just started paying Enbridge this way. If you have a Gold Biz card guess who is on the list of 2X suppliers? PLASTIQ!!!!!!!

[edit] It's only T2 Corp. tax returns. So much for THAT. Why no RC158 love?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jhartley15
Quote:

Do you need to have the full number of points for the travel item or can you apply the points you have if less and pay for the difference on the card?
If u don't have the full points, you can pay the difference. Same cash value on the difference, so you're not losing out on anything.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Hi sorry, total taxes I pay to CRA (including HST, payroll) is around 100-120K, not 500K. I also acknowledge the 2% surcharge when paying by credit card.

Nevertheless, back to my original question: Which card is best in Canada to collect AA Advantage miles besides the RBC Avion?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:51 am

Nevertheless, back to my original question: Which card is best in Canada to collect AA Advantage miles besides the RBC Avion?
#1 is RBC Avion. I believe you get once a year 20% conversion bonuses to Amex.
#2 some people convert Aeroplan to AA via Esso Points to RBC Avion (not sure how it works, someone else can pipe in)
#3 Sign-up bonuses for SPG Amex card. Get 20k currently for both personal and biz version. Can be converted to AA at 1.25:1 when converting in 20k lots. Then for daily spend it's equivalent to 1.25AA miles per $ spend if you stick to converting in 20k lots only (i.e. SPG to AA).
#4 Get sign up bonuses for Amex cards. Convert to SPG at 0.5:1 and then to AA...works out to 0.625:1. Not a great ratio, but if you target first-year-fee cards such as the personal and business gold it's not bad. Biz gold 40k points for 5k of spending in three months = 20k SPG points = 25k AA points for "free".

For everyday spend it's either RBC Avion or the SPG Amex card. If you don't mind the $399 annual fee, the RBC Avion Prestige collects Avion points at 1.25x/$.

The other suggestions I made are mainly to take advantage of sign-up bonuses and to ultimately convert to AA points. They are not great conversion ratios, but if you really want to focus on AA then go that route.

I'm thinking along the same lines but...waiting to see if AA devalues the program. Seems they are about due. But since I'm mainly collecting flexible points currencies (MR, SPG)...I don't have all my eggs in one basket.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
#1 is RBC Avion. I believe you get once a year 20% conversion bonuses to Amex.
#2 some people convert Aeroplan to AA via Esso Points to RBC Avion (not sure how it works, someone else can pipe in)
#3 Sign-up bonuses for SPG Amex card. Get 20k currently for both personal and biz version. Can be converted to AA at 1.25:1 when converting in 20k lots. Then for daily spend it's equivalent to 1.25AA miles per $ spend if you stick to converting in 20k lots only (i.e. SPG to AA).
#4 Get sign up bonuses for Amex cards. Convert to SPG at 0.5:1 and then to AA...works out to 0.625:1. Not a great ratio, but if you target first-year-fee cards such as the personal and business gold it's not bad. Biz gold 40k points for 5k of spending in three months = 20k SPG points = 25k AA points for "free".

For everyday spend it's either RBC Avion or the SPG Amex card. If you don't mind the $399 annual fee, the RBC Avion Prestige collects Avion points at 1.25x/$.

The other suggestions I made are mainly to take advantage of sign-up bonuses and to ultimately convert to AA points. They are not great conversion ratios, but if you really want to focus on AA then go that route.

I'm thinking along the same lines but...waiting to see if AA devalues the program. Seems they are about due. But since I'm mainly collecting flexible points currencies (MR, SPG)...I don't have all my eggs in one basket.
Another option, for 2015 only, is to transfer Aeroplan to US Airways Dividend Miles (USDM) for 100:84 ratio, and hope that USDM get "merged" into AA at 1:1 ratio

Max. yearly limit of transfer of 100K Aeroplan (=84K USDM), via points.com
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Hi sorry, total taxes I pay to CRA (including HST, payroll) is around 100-120K, not 500K. I also acknowledge the 2% surcharge when paying by credit card.

What you can try to do is sign up for multiple credit cards and pay for your tax bills with each respective one to earn a bunch of sign up bonus points.

For example, you can sign up for the AMEX SPG. Pay some taxes with that, get the 20,000 sign up bonus. Then get one of the Avion RBC credit cards and get another slew of sign up bonuses (especially if you can get more than one of the Avion cards). I assume that you pay your taxes throughout the year, so you can change around the cards to take advantage of different sign up bonuses too.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just curious. Anyone else sitting around on 100,000+ AMEX MR points just waiting for a transfer bonus?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by loun80
Just curious. Anyone else sitting around on 100,000+ AMEX MR points just waiting for a transfer bonus?
Yup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.