MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Cruban
Go figure.....I got rejected a few weeks ago by Chase Canada for the Marriott visa due to too many apps in the last 3 months but got approved for the Cap One World Aspire a few days ago instantly.
There is no consistency to all these outfits.
In the last 6 weeks, I have applied for Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, Alaska Air MBNA) , all approved. Last week I applied fort the Chase Marriott, I got approved.( 50000 pts. ) I dont think I will get the Free One Night certificate, I had a chase Marriott, which I cancelled in April 2014.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:32 pm

Amex and MBNA check Transunion first, and Chase checks Equifax first.

If none of the companies did a second hit on the other bureau, Chase wouldn't have seen the Amex or MBNA hits
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by crimsona

If none of the companies did a second hit on the other bureau, Chase wouldn't have seen the Amex or MBNA hits
Thanks for the info, for future reference. For the Chase Marriott, I applied online and got a reply in 60 seconds.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommy99
As a follow-up to the dcta Alaska MBNA article and him indicating that you can have numerous Alaska cards - I talked to an MBNA rep who indicated that is allowed. She indicated that another application does get the 25,000 sign-up points too.

I have the card but didn't try another application even though she indicated that when you do it over the phone, you get an additional 1,000 points. If I decide to apply again I will go the GCR route anyway.

Has anyone got more than one Alaskan card? Even though the rep said that all will work, I know MBNA does hard credit pulls and I wouldn't want to have that to find out they won't give you another card in your name.
Thanks everybody for the feedback. I just read

http://dcta.ca/2014/08/sunday-reader...s-alaska-mbna/

which should answer any concerns.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by crimsona

i was going to write this out myself. if you guys really want to understand and appreciate churning, go read the american blogs/articles/tutorials, sure some of the concepts cant be applied here, and they have 3 instead of 2 CRAs (EQ and TU) but the remainder is mostly same.

Amex plat is something they would love to give away (as long as youre not a completely new client, by that i mean I got a conditional reconsideration but only if I closed one of my amex accounts, unfortunately weird guideline they have in place wont let them do that for me unless i've been a client for atleast 1 year), amex gold is churnable effortlessly as MBNA but you got lucky with chase just because you closed their account less than 90 days ago, I guess they must not have many applicants

also what percentage of cdn's do you guys think actually churn, i was disenchanted going through the RFD finance section where a majority of posters were absolutely clueless, much less likely to be competent enough to go through churning cc's. RFD is the only "big" finance site apart from flyertalk that I know of, and while there are a few threads with alot of posts, theyre mostly capped at 1-2k max posts and sizeable portion of it is recycled material or same posters.

And to add a data point, MBNA was overwhelmed by # of applications presumably all because of traffic of MBNA thread on RFD to the extent they retracted 1 yr to 6 month offer on smartcash and reduced other benefits as well. Also I havent seen cibc publically advertise $400 for their tims visa and whatever bank account etc you need with them, but apparently they too underestimated the demand and once again I think it comes mainly from traffic from RFD. So all of that said, if people at RFD (and here) are basically most of the poeple who churn, that would make like 5-10k people at most (generous exaggeration) from canada's 35 million population

Last edited by philemer; Aug 13, 2014 at 9:47 am Reason: derogatory comment removed-
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:43 am

Both my wife & I have 2 Alaska Airlines credit cards. We applied for a personal and business card with no problem. If they hesitate, have your credit card amount lowered and apply the difference to the new card. I started at $12,000 and reduced it to $6,000.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Can u post a link for the biz version of the alaska airlines card?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Air Canada Elite 75k, National Emerald Executive Elite, Hertz PC
Is there any offers that are as good as the AMEX Aeroplan FYF 30,000 sign up bonus for only $500 spend in 3 months?

[resubmit w/o a referral/affiliate link.]

Or does nothing else in Canada touch this?

Last edited by philemer; Aug 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by TheEmirate
Is there any offers that are as good as the AMEX Aeroplan FYF 30,000 sign up bonus for only $500 spend in 3 months?

That's probably one of the best offers in canada atm.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by TheEmirate

If you're referring to Aeroplan, the only other good 'free' offer (for one year) is the Amex Gold Rewards MR charge card. It offers 25,000 Membership Rewards (MR) welcome bonus, after $500 spending in 3 months, waived first year fees. The MR points convert 1:1 with Aeroplan or BA Avios.

Some people prefer this card over the Aeroplan Plus Gold, since it accrues MR points, which are more flexible to use (convert when needed, frustration with Aeroplan, etc).

Plus, since the Gold Rewards card earns 2x points on gas, groceries, pharmacy (Shoppers, Rexall, etc) and travel (flights, rental cars, hotels, etc.) then it's actually preferred as a main go-to card. Most people just sign up for the Aeroplan Plus Gold to get the 30,000 welcome points, and to refer other people, but don't actually spend (much) with it, unless they don't have a better card to use.

The CIBC and TD cards also give Aeroplan signup points, but for 20,000 / 15,000. However, neither of these cards are currently offering waived FYFs. Wait another month or so...should be coming back on promo soon, if history repeats itself; for CIBC, anyway...the TD card was newly introduced, as of Jan 2014.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:46 pm

Banking offer

Could you guys post banking introduction offer too...I really like to combine them and credit card application
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:10 am

I see a lot of ppl referring to the 2x $200 travel credit for the amex plat. How does this work? If I apply for this card in Oct will the $200 credit carry over to 2015? or do I have to use the first $200 before the new year?

Can I use this credit to pay aeroplan scam charges?

What are the best ways to utilize this 2x $200 credit?

Thanks for your time?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rsoares28
I see a lot of ppl referring to the 2x $200 travel credit for the amex plat. How does this work? If I apply for this card in Oct will the $200 credit carry over to 2015? or do I have to use the first $200 before the new year?

Can I use this credit to pay aeroplan scam charges?

What are the best ways to utilize this 2x $200 credit?

Thanks for your time?
- $200 Annual Travel Credit (First year you can get $200 in 2014 and again $200 in 2015)
Use $200 credit before end of this year and then again starting Jan 1, 2015

You have to call AMEX Personal Travel Service (PTS) to book and USE the $200 credit, so you cannot pay Aeroplan

Generally use them on Hotel, Flights, Car Rental
AMEX's prices are usually the same as other OTA/best available rates
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:17 pm

Thanks Jerry!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
All quiet on the Canadian front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.