MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Thanks for the tips, JJonahJ!

I set up an account and then an hour later I popped into the local UPS Store over lunch to buy a few supplies... but when I gave them the BMGM number to enter (as received in the e-mail), they said it came up as not a valid number?

I wonder if it was just too soon? Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...
Hmmm, that's something I didn't consider, as I had pre-registered my 7 BMGM accounts on one night, and then used them a few days/weeks later. So, maybe you're right in guessing that it was too soon to use??

Just create another BMGM account under your name again (see my note above about cookies/different browser)...take both of them to the store tomorrow, and try again. If it doesn't register, then something is wrong, and I would cancel the purchase until the UPS clerk can verify that you will get the points.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
Used my BMGM account a few days after I registered it as well. Just brought up the email on my phone and read the number off to the clerk.

I also made sure that the full 650 bonus was added. The guy was shocked when he saw that I was getting 651 points for a $1.34 purchase. #1 padded envelop FTW!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: *void
For me, with 7 AP accounts to tend to, I went to the UPS store on 5 different trips, different locations. Each store I went to had different stock and different prices for the exact same items as displayed in other stores. Eventually, I got tired of looking for things that were just over a $1. So, one time I just grabbed a 75c eraser and asked the clerk to ring it up as $1+. No problem-oh.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:31 pm

applying as non permanent resident

Has anyone without permanent resident status applied and was approved for any card that says the application is only for permanent residents of Canada? I have enough income and few years of history in Canada but on work permit. I am going to be applying for permanent residency soon, but I am wondering whether the card issuers actually check the immigration status in practice.
The only thing I can think of is even if I don't put SIN# on application, they maybe able to pull it up and see that it starts from 9. (which I believe proves that I am not a permanent resident)

I am particularly interested in applying for the BMO World Mastercard.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by heta; Nov 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by heta
Has anyone without permanent resident status applied and was approved for any card that says the application is only for permanent residents of Canada? I have enough income and few years of history in Canada but on work permit. I am going to be applying for permanent residency soon, but I am wondering whether the card issuers actually check the immigration status in practice.
The only thing I can think of is even if I don't put SIN# on application, they maybe able to pull it up and see that it starts from 9. (which I believe proves that I am not a permanent resident)

If you say that you are a permanent resident in order to get a product without being one, that could be considered fraud, so be careful.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2
If you say that you are a permanent resident in order to get a product without being one, that could be considered fraud, so be careful.
Yes, but I asked because I am hoping that the application would either be an approval or a denial due to the immigration status. Denial is fine, I am just curious if they check the status in practice.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:29 am

Saturday November 30 only: 2.5 Aeroplan per dollar

CIBC Aeroplan Visa cardholders only
Saturday, November 30 only

Earn 2.5x points (instead of 1.5x points) on most grocery & retail purchases.

Thread: 2X Aeroplan Miles w/ CIBC Aeroplan cards on Nov 30/13

Last edited by methodman; Dec 2, 2013 at 12:19 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
CIBC aeroplan card promo extended for DEC 7 and DEC 14

The Tangerine Saturday offer from Saturday, November 30 will be extended for
Saturday, December 7 &
Saturday, December 14

"Good news: Tangerine Saturday was such a hit that we have extended it to Saturday, December 7, and Saturday, December 14, 2013 so CIBC Aeroplan® Visa™ cardholders can earn even more miles during this holiday shopping season."

On Dec. 7 & 14 earn double miles on all eligible retail purchases when you pay with your CIBC Aeroplan VisaTM Card.*

LINK: http://www3.aeroplan.com/tangerinesa...icid=webup3881

LINK: Thread about November 30, 2013 promotion
LINK: Thread about November 2012 promotion
PDF LINK: Merchant category code list
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:12 am

US Airways Share Promo now Live!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:29 am

Has anyone without permanent resident status applied and was approved for any card that says the application is only for permanent residents of Canada?

While I can't speak for that particular card, I have some information on this topic that may help others.

I am a Canadian resident on a work permit. My SIN starts with 9, and I am not considered a permanent resident. Acquiring Canadian credit cards under these circumstances varies bank by bank.

My primary banking relationship is with TD. With TD, I could initially acquire any of their cards (standard or premium) but only as a secured card.

After a year of holding a TD secured card, I was able to acquire AMEX Canada and Chase Canada cards on my own credit merit without requiring a secure line of credit. It's worth noting that AMEX Canada may be willing to issue a Canadian card based on US credit history if you have an existing relationship with AMEX USA (see: Global Transfer).

I have also attempted to acquire a CIBC card with no success. Their terms state that only permanent residents are eligible. They did say that non-permanent residents may be eligible for their cards with a secured line of credit, but the premium card for which I applied was not available as a secured card.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
That's good info - thanks. Just a comment on Amex: not only US residents eligible. Any Amex worldwide can transfer at least to Canada, and likely elsewhere, through Global Transfer. Did it from Japan to Canada some years back. Even the accumulated points transfer!!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by gateguard0
While I can't speak for that particular card, I have some information on this topic that may help others.

I am a Canadian resident on a work permit. My SIN starts with 9, and I am not considered a permanent resident. Acquiring Canadian credit cards under these circumstances varies bank by bank.

My primary banking relationship is with TD. With TD, I could initially acquire any of their cards (standard or premium) but only as a secured card.

After a year of holding a TD secured card, I was able to acquire AMEX Canada and Chase Canada cards on my own credit merit without requiring a secure line of credit. It's worth noting that AMEX Canada may be willing to issue a Canadian card based on US credit history if you have an existing relationship with AMEX USA (see: Global Transfer).

I have also attempted to acquire a CIBC card with no success. Their terms state that only permanent residents are eligible. They did say that non-permanent residents may be eligible for their cards with a secured line of credit, but the premium card for which I applied was not available as a secured card.
I have a similar story, except my banking relationship was with RBC - initially in Canada with a student permit and then a work permit. After 2 years, they offered me an RBC Student Visa and then another year later swapped it for an RBC Rewards Visa.

I no longer live in Canada, but have continue to maintain various RBC accounts with healthy balances for almost 15 years. They have absolutely no issue with allowing me to maintain my RBC Infinite Avion card as a result.

My Canadian credit history does not have my SIN linked to it and is now pretty lengthy. I am up front with the info that I am not permanently resident in Canada and while it takes a few days to process, it has been fine with American Express Canada and with MBNA (now TD). However, CIBC and Capital One have not been willing to consider any applications from non-PRs.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:26 am

Thanks everyone for the info regarding the credit card application for non-PR.

I can add one info to this, at RBC they can issue a credit card with non secured 5k credit line to work permit holder without history if the income is above certain threshold. I did this (I opened bank accounts with them as well, I don't know if this is necessary) and also the Global transfer with Amex.

I will report back if I decide to try for the BMO card.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:23 pm

I can add one info to this, at RBC they can issue a credit card with non secured 5k credit line to work permit holder without history if the income is above certain threshold. I did this (I opened bank accounts with them as well, I don't know if this is necessary) and also the Global transfer with Amex.
Yep, same experience with RBC. They started me off with a 5k credit line but they have offered me increases regularly since then (and even authorised one-off charges above the credit limit - such as when I had to charge $40k in one transaction to buy fuel for a Boeing 757).
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:21 pm

Anybody interested in going to China in spring 2014?

I don't know if it's a mistake or not, but it seems to be good from the beginning of February up until mid-May.

I searched for flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Beijin (PEK) and found them at $449.27, but it's not limited to Beijin. For example, going to Shanghai is only $399.69. Those are in economy and on Air China. Also, that's in US dollars, but it's more or less the same as Canadian dollars these days.

If you need to get to Vancouver in the first place, then you could get an award ticket for that. Aeroplan will fly you to Vancouver from almost anywhere in Canada and the U.S. for 25K Aeroplan miles, and if you don't have those miles yet, then Amex has generous sign-up bonus offers for its cards that will give you enough or more than enough miles for such a trip to Vancouver.

To get those tickets to China, first go to http://www.wideroe.no/en

Then, search from Vancouver to wherever you want to go in China. If it looks like nothing is happening, just be patient; the site is slow.

Then, click "View alternative dates" to get a calendar to choose the best price.

The price you see on the screen includes everything except a $5 booking fee added at the end.

It might also work with other Canadian cities or even with American ones, I didn't check, so I don't know about that. Anyway, hopefully this will be useful to someone, and if so . . . Have a nice trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.