MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Marriott Premier Visa

The 50,000 point promo is back!
Get 50,000 points, plus a free Cat1-4 night.
No foreign exchange fees on US$ and other foreign currencies. (!)

Call 1-888-530-2938. Promo code is X2FP
Until December 31, 2013.

• Online applications only qualify for 30,000 points. Apply by phone, and use the promo code X2FP.
• If you have applied for the card recently, call and say you see there's a 50,000 point offer, and you wish you'd taken that offer instead. Quote the promo code. FT'ers report success doing this.

Here's the link to the card: https://www.marriottpremier.ca
More discussion: Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card thread
Under "conditions of the offer" you read that For Quebec residents, the offer is valid only for existing Marriott Rewards members.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
The Capital One Delta Skymiles card now comes with Priority boarding for the card holder as well as up to 9 pax on the same reservation. Sign-up bonus still 25,000 skypesos.
http://www.capitalone.ca/offers/lp/d...ZZ_ZZ_T_DWRL29
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Marriott Premier Visa

The 50,000 point promo is back!
Get 50,000 points, plus a free Cat1-4 night.
No foreign exchange fees on US$ and other foreign currencies. (!)

Call 1-888-530-2938. Promo code is X2FP
Until December 31, 2013.

• Online applications only qualify for 30,000 points. Apply by phone, and use the promo code X2FP.
• If you have applied for the card recently, call and say you see there's a 50,000 point offer, and you wish you'd taken that offer instead. Quote the promo code. FT'ers report success doing this.

Here's the link to the card: https://www.marriottpremier.ca
More discussion: Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card thread
You don't need to call.

You can just use this link: https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/cgi-bin/ma...URCE_CODE=X2FP

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Under "conditions of the offer" you read that For Quebec residents, the offer is valid only for existing Marriott Rewards members.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by keitherson
You don't need to call.

You can just use this link: https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/cgi-bin/ma...URCE_CODE=X2FP
Thanks! I'll edit my previous post.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Thanks! I'll edit my previous post.

Great offer very tempting.....

Off topic. How often do you all apply for cards? How many active cards do you have? I have never churned cards regularly and worried that I may impact my credit negatively. I have good payment record, low utilization of credit and stable income.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peacestar

Off topic. How often do you all apply for cards? How many active cards do you have? I have never churned cards regularly and worried that I may impact my credit negatively. I have good payment record, low utilization of credit and stable income.
My credit report has about 40 entries. About 12 cards are currently active, and I use 4 or 5 of them in a given month.

I've never been rejected for a card because I have too many cards on my credit report. I have been rejected because I already had that card, or because I already had 3 or 4 cards with the same issuer.

So, for me, any card that has a good signup bonus, and is from an issuer that I haven't got a card with right now, is worth considering.

Keep a spotless payment record, and accurate income information. Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

I've definitely ramped it up over the past couple of years... basically been taking any and all 1st year free CCs with Aeroplan or Amex points attached to them, as well as the Marriott Rewards card (which came with EXCELLENT benefits, at least pre-devaluation). Right now I'd say I have about a dozen open CC accounts, maybe 3 of which I use regularly. My wife has bit less than that.

I can't say that I've encountered any adverse effects as a result of all this... then again, other than mortgages on home and business properties I don't really use credit that much... in my entire life I think I carried a CC balance over to the next month maybe twice, and even those were on a Capital One low-interest card that is no longer offered. To me, CCs are strictly a vehicle for acquiring points for leisure travel and are treated as such. Every statement gets paid in full.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I've definitely ramped it up over the past couple of years... basically been taking any and all 1st year free CCs with Aeroplan or Amex points attached to them, as well as the Marriott Rewards card (which came with EXCELLENT benefits, at least pre-devaluation). Right now I'd say I have about a dozen open CC accounts, maybe 3 of which I use regularly. My wife has bit less than that.

I can't say that I've encountered any adverse effects as a result of all this... then again, other than mortgages on home and business properties I don't really use credit that much... in my entire life I think I carried a CC balance over to the next month maybe twice, and even those were on a Capital One low-interest card that is no longer offered. To me, CCs are strictly a vehicle for acquiring points for leisure travel and are treated as such. Every statement gets paid in full.
Thanks Jerry 305 & Heraclitus.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
No, there's no fee for either. The Get More card is a simple frequent-buyer card. Be sure that the UPS Store clerk records your 9-digit number into their system, for you to be able to get credit.
Don't forget that you only have to spend $1 + HST to get the full 650 bonus APs.

I went in after receiving the card and bought a #1 padded envelop for $1.15 + HST and got all the points!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:37 am

No, there's no fee for either. The Get More card is a simple frequent-buyer card. Be sure that the UPS Store clerk records your 9-digit number into their system, for you to be able to get credit.
So can you get the card on the spot at UPS and use it right away for a purchase, or do you have to apply and then wait for a card to get sent to you first?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

So can you get the card on the spot at UPS and use it right away for a purchase, or do you have to apply and then wait for a card to get sent to you first?

Apply online at http://www.getmoresavemore.ca/
You'll get an instant email with a little card you can print out with your 9-digit Get More number.
Heads up: be sure that the clerk actually enters your number into the system (as well as giving you the 10% or whatever discount).

FAQ from http://theupsstore.ca/small-business...ked-questions/
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: *void
First, sign up for the UPS Buy More Get More membership here:
http://theupsstore.ca/small-business-solutions/get-more

You'll get an email with your BMGM number right away...write it down (card gets delivered in about 4-6 weeks, or longer!). If you're doing this for multiple accounts, use Google Chrome's Incognito mode, so that it doesn't cache your BMGM info, preventing you from signing up for a 2nd BMGM account. Or, clear your cookies/cache or use a different browser.

Bring the new BMGM number with you to the UPS store, along with your Aero number. Look for things that are at least $1 (minimum). I have bought things such as envelops, Exacto Knives, glue sticks, pens, etc....but each store has different stock and different prices. You'll have to see what's available at your UPS store.

I have used this promo for all 7 of the accounts that I have to maintain for my family, 651 points each time. The UPS clerk will log into their system, punch in the BMGM number, your first/last name, and then ask for your Aero number (so, I guess the names must match??). They will tell you RIGHT on the spot that you got 150 + 500 points. I just did two of these yesterday morning, at 10am. When I checked my AP.com accounts, at 10:30am, they points were ALREADY posted online...super fast postings!

BTW, you can't churn this with multiple BMGM accounts on the same Aero account.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by seanman571
Don't forget that you only have to spend $1 + HST to get the full 650 bonus APs.

I went in after receiving the card and bought a #1 padded envelop for $1.15 + HST and got all the points!
How long did take them to post the bonus APs
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: *void
How long did take them to post the bonus APs
If the clerk does it RIGHT, logs onto the system properly, keys in your BMGM, name and AP# correctly, they will tell you right on the spot that you got the 150+500 points. The points will show up at AP.com at the next sweep, so at 10:30a or 9:30p, depending on your locale.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the tips, JJonahJ!

I set up an account and then an hour later I popped into the local UPS Store over lunch to buy a few supplies... but when I gave them the BMGM number to enter (as received in the e-mail), they said it came up as not a valid number?

I wonder if it was just too soon? Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.