MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Thinking about it. Got a lot of SPG miles but a lot of AP too....
keep in mind the Starwood sale and the potential for "changes" to the program.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
keep in mind the Starwood sale and the potential for "changes" to the program.
Changes are due to occur in 2018 not 2017. I wouldn't be converting SPG to Aeroplan now if you have lots of Aeroplan already
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
This might have been asked before, but curious:

How many days does it take for the MBNA Best Western bonus to credit? I'm looking to convert them to Aeroplan to get the bonus. 60k = 8k + 1k bonus = 9k aeroplan.

Deadline for AP bonus is August 11
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bmabnorth
This might have been asked before, but curious:

How many days does it take for the MBNA Best Western bonus to credit? I'm looking to convert them to Aeroplan to get the bonus. 60k = 8k + 1k bonus = 9k aeroplan.

Deadline for AP bonus is August 11
I would take the 2 or 3 free nights... better value then 9k aeropesos IMHO...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
Originally Posted by hearna
Hmm, yeah, definitely an argument. For me BW points are useless though and I'm going to get the Marriott card anyway.

The main use for me here is to have these points as "topper-uppers". I'm about 8-9k short of a redemption with Aeroplan and I need some Aadvantage and I've already churned a whole bunch of other cards so need some breathing room.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by hearna
+1

Only reason I got the card was I have a couple of trips with an overnight layover. Instead of using my Marriott or Starwood points or cash even for a short airport stay I would rather burn these BW points. I'll get 3 nights in total at 3 different airports.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:35 pm

Has anyone successfully used the MBNA BW 40k offer link recently? Just wondering if it is still considered "active" versus the 20k offer.

I also saw a 60k offer being promoted back in May and the link appears to still be active but I don't see any mention of an expiry date???
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by bjywong
Has anyone successfully used the MBNA BW 40k offer link recently? Just wondering if it is still considered "active" versus the 20k offer.

I also saw a 60k offer being promoted back in May and the link appears to still be active but I don't see any mention of an expiry date???
Used it today. Application went to pending so I called the recon line right away and she said it was already approved and confirmed the 40k. Also, the 40k verbage was on the application and I have a screenshot of it so I'm not anticipating any problems.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by bjywong

The original expiry date was July 10, but I believe the link is still active so in theory should work.

In one of my recent experiences applying for the card I was only granted a credit limit of $1000. The (relative) absurdity of reaching a $2000 minimum spend on a $1000 credit limit was quick to convince the phone rep to move some credit around to increase it to $2000.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:34 am

Looking for advice on how to proceed.

My wife and I cancelled our marriott cards in Jan 2016 . She just applied for it again online, (3rd churn) and was asked to call in. When she did they said she wont be entitled to the pts as they would just re-open her old card. She asked to be considered a new applicant and they declined stating if she wanted the pts she will have to pay the AF.

I thought 6 months was enough of a wait... it was the first time we churned. Any new developments i'm not aware of? Any advice? should she wait another month and retry?

I'm holding off on my app now because of this

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rsoares28
Looking for advice on how to proceed.

My wife and I cancelled our marriott cards in Jan 2016 . She just applied for it again online, (3rd churn) and was asked to call in. When she did they said she wont be entitled to the pts as they would just re-open her old card. She asked to be considered a new applicant and they declined stating if she wanted the pts she will have to pay the AF.

I thought 6 months was enough of a wait... it was the first time we churned. Any new developments i'm not aware of? Any advice? should she wait another month and retry?

I'm holding off on my app now because of this

Thanks
Chase is a bit tighter with respect to churning cycles - 1 year is more safe of a wait. There have been some reports of people successfully churning within six months, but also a fair few of accounts being reopened like yours.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Chase is a bit tighter with respect to churning cycles - 1 year is more safe of a wait. There have been some reports of people successfully churning within six months, but also a fair few of accounts being reopened like yours.
Thanks for the reply. For our 2nd churn we waited 6 months and had no issues. I guess we'll both hold off until Jan 17.

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:44 pm

I don't know where to post this question, but I will post it here since I don't know any other Canadian forum on FlyerTalk.

What is the american equivalent of "Interac e-Transfer"? Is there one? Are instant transfers from one US bank account to another US back account possible?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by emilio911
I don't know where to post this question, but I will post it here since I don't know any other Canadian forum on FlyerTalk.

What is the american equivalent of "Interac e-Transfer"? Is there one? Are instant transfers from one US bank account to another US back account possible?

Thanks for your help!
US banks are independent from each other and not regulated, so I don't think there's a 'central' system within it.

Your best shot might be MoneyGram or WU.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:28 pm

You could use PayPal as an intermediary, or mobile deposit checks, the former takes a few days while the latter is dependant on your receiving bank's policies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.