MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by flyme2

However, the travel coverage dealing with lost or delayed luggage is deceptive in that it will only come into effect if you have purchased the entire cost of the trip with the NBC M/C. By entire, I mean every hotel night and the r/t airfare.

This is really good to know, thanks! Is this communicated anywhere in the document that was mailed with the card?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
What if you stayed with family or had a vacation property? Not everybody needs a hotel...
That was one of my arguments. I was directed to the language in the Insurance Certificate that stated:
This benefit shall cover loss of or damage to the baggage owned by a covered person during a trip in or outside the province of residence, when the cardholder charges all of the cost of accommodation and principal transportation to his account.
I was told by Canassurance, the underwriter of the policy, that for the baggage policy to be in effect, paid accommodations must be included as part of the trip and must be paid 100% with the NBC World Elite Mastercard. If the trip involves staying with family, using points for any part of the accommodations, camping, connecting to a cruise paid with another c/c or even a same day return flight without requiring accommodations, then you are not covered. I was as incredulous, as I am certain, anyone reading this would be, at just how disingenuous the claim for "6 hour baggage delay" coverage actually is.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
That was one of my arguments. I was directed to the language in the Insurance Certificate that stated:
This benefit shall cover loss of or damage to the baggage owned by a covered person during a trip in or outside the province of residence, when the cardholder charges all of the cost of accommodation and principal transportation to his account.
I was told by Canassurance, the underwriter of the policy, that for the baggage policy to be in effect, paid accommodations must be included as part of the trip and must be paid 100% with the NBC World Elite Mastercard. If the trip involves staying with family, using points for any part of the accommodations, camping, connecting to a cruise paid with another c/c or even a same day return flight without requiring accommodations, then you are not covered. I was as incredulous, as I am certain, anyone reading this would be, at just how disingenuous the claim for "6 hour baggage delay" coverage actually is.
Do all the cards that provide trip cancellation/delay/interruption have this kind of restriction, that the entire trip must be paid with the card that provides such insurance benefits ?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Do all the cards that provide trip cancellation/delay/interruption have this kind of restriction, that the entire trip must be paid with the card that provides such insurance benefits ?
The TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card requires only the flight to have been paid, and is tolerant by allowing the option of TD points to be considered as part of the payment.

(1) by charge to Your Account, (2) by redemption of TD Points earned under Your TD Travel Rewards Program or (3) by a combination of (1) and (2).

I have never encountered NBC's particular verbiage in any other insurance certificate.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
Not from my experience. I have claimed with CIBC Aeroplan and also with AMEX Gold in the past for baggage delay & flight delay, respectively, and I only paid for my flights in full each time with these credit cards.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
They forgot to update/close the FRENCH version of the 50K offer, (or they want to attract more customers from Quebec?) :

https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/fr

Note: you can switch language back to English in the application form.

Think they will still award 50K points ? I applied and got instant approval..let's see. If you apply, make sure to take screenshots!
Thanks. Just applied through this link and got instantly approved - will report back if I get the 50k points.
I print-screened everything just in case.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Cruban
Thanks. Just applied through this link and got instantly approved - will report back if I get the 50k points.
In case anyone else is reading this and thinking about opening the Chase Marriott Visa card, there's no need to use the French link, as the regular 50K promo was revived last month, as reported in the card's own dedicated thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-card-62.html

The regular 50K promo link is accessed from here:
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
In case anyone else is reading this and thinking about opening the Chase Marriott Visa card, there's no need to use the French link, as the regular 50K promo was revived last month, as reported in the card's own dedicated thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-card-62.html

The regular 50K promo link is accessed from here:
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm
Thanks for your due diligence, JJJ! One of us applied last month through that link and got a repeat 50K bonus. No free night, but the points. 3 more of us got approved and should be getting the bonus this month. One more of us will apply later this month.

Keep in mind, only apply for this card while you are physically in Canada. Apps from outside Canada are not approved. It's the only card I've come across where this is the case.

With the U.S. version of this card now subject to the infamous 5/24 rule, this card serves well to extend the life of one's MR points.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Keep in mind, only apply for this card while you are physically in Canada. Apps from outside Canada are not approved.
Or use a VPN.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:53 pm

You should definitely go up the ladder with this one...

I had a similar issue with VISA Desjardins' cell phone insurance. I got it resolved by complaining to the GIO ( https://scadcanada.org/ ). However, they told me that if the insurance company still didn't want to pay after my complaint, the only one that could say that the insurance certificate was not meeting "an ordinary person's expectations" was a judge sitting in a court of law (such as a small claims court). (Proof that they are they are the only ones with this kind of verbiage would be an excellent proof)

I also read somewhere on flyertalk that a guy had an issue with Capitalone's insurance. He got it resolved by going up the ladder within Capitalone Mastercard (up to Capitalone's Ombudsman).

You should definitely try.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by emilio911
You should definitely go up the ladder with this one...

I had a similar issue with VISA Desjardins' cell phone insurance. I got it resolved by complaining to the GIO ( https://scadcanada.org/ ). However, they told me that if the insurance company still didn't want to pay after my complaint, the only one that could say that the insurance certificate was not meeting "an ordinary person's expectations" was a judge sitting in a court of law (such as a small claims court). (Proof that they are they are the only ones with this kind of verbiage would be an excellent proof)

I also read somewhere on flyertalk that a guy had an issue with Capitalone's insurance. He got it resolved by going up the ladder within Capitalone Mastercard (up to Capitalone's Ombudsman).

You should definitely try.
What ? Did you expect the VISA Desjardins cell phone insurance to cover a device even though you didn't buy it with the Visa Desjardins card ? Or was it a different issue ?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by Cruban
Just noticed the discrepancy between the two languages...good find guys, and good idea to print screen!

I'll also apply and report back if I don't get the 50K point bonus promised on the french page.

Cheers!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:19 am

What ? Did you expect the VISA Desjardins cell phone insurance to cover a device even though you didn't buy it with the Visa Desjardins card ? Or was it a different issue ?
Nah ... It was about how they calculate the deductible. Their "insurance certificate" is a mess.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:39 pm

In case anyone might benefit....Starwood preferred points transfer to aeroplan ,with bonus points promo is back.July 11-August 15.

Yes,yes,I know....but someone might need the aeroplan points, pronto, for a redemption.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Thinking about it. Got a lot of SPG miles but a lot of AP too....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.