MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How long did it take you all to receive the TD card? It's been like two weeks since my approved application and nothing yet. I got the "you'll receive your card in a separate letter" mail a few days ago, too...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
How long did it take you all to receive the TD card? It's been like two weeks since my approved application and nothing yet. I got the "you'll receive your card in a separate letter" mail a few days ago, too...
for me it was just under two weeks. i applied online on a friday and was approved right away. the card came some time in the second week after that, maybe a wednesday?

did you receive the letter with the PIN? my card came the very next day after the PIN.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Originally Posted by BenSenise
for me it was just under two weeks. i applied online on a friday and was approved right away. the card came some time in the second week after that, maybe a wednesday?

did you receive the letter with the PIN? my card came the very next day after the PIN.
My card arrived yesterday, so about a week (7 business days) but i too received my separate PIN letter a few days earlier than the card. Then of course it took a further 10 minutes or so to get it activated as i jumped through hoops on the phone with TD.....why they don't just activate the card like every other provider is beyond me, but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neil791
… but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
this exactly! the person on the phone kept going on and on and on about me signing up for balance protection insurance. i declined and she kept going. i politely declined again yet she continued to tell me how much i need it. this went on for minutes. not cool at all.
Neil791 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
this exactly! the person on the phone kept going on and on and on about me signing up for balance protection insurance. i declined and she kept going. i politely declined again yet she continued to tell me how much i need it. this went on for minutes. not cool at all.
I agree that the spiel about the balance protection insurance is clearly just a ploy to get you signed up for an otherwise useless service which someone, somewhere is clearly making a profit from.....reminds me of the salesperson insisting you need an extended warranty on your TV which nearly costs the same as the item you just bought...

Good thing i don't intend on keeping the card longer than i need to in order to get the sign up bonus
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:41 am

I have had them both at the same time previously and have receive the promo.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
I've been reading numerous opinions on whether or not the terms exclude taking advantage of both TD's FCT and Aeroplan offers at the same time.Some interpret the terms to exclude the offer for the 2nd account if the previous account was opened less than 6 months previously.

My take is that the 6 months is only applicable if its the same type of account ( FCT or Aeroplan),whereas others think that its ANY account and think that if you applied for both the FCT and Aeroplan at the same time that you would only receive the promo for the first application completed.

Have you or anyone else been able to confirm with someone from TD ?
I have had them both at the same time previously and have receive the promo.
jubberly likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My card arrived yesterday, so about a week (7 business days) but i too received my separate PIN letter a few days earlier than the card. Then of course it took a further 10 minutes or so to get it activated as i jumped through hoops on the phone with TD.....why they don't just activate the card like every other provider is beyond me, but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
I applied nearly three weeks ago, I received the first letter with the PIN early last week at the same time that I received the RBC card - for which I applied on the same day as the TD card. I might drop by the local branch to see if it went there instead.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:58 am

Likely a backlog in the system due to the uptick in interest with the latest promo.....not to mention we're relying on Canada Post which is less than reliable at the best of times....

Did you apply for and receive the RBC Avion card? i've had it for several years due mainly to being a very long time RBC client and truth be told i'm looking at burning the miles i've got and moving auto-pays to other cards as the one good thing about the card is the marketing and little else....unless of course you want to take advantage of the transfer bonus to BA Avios when they offer it...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Likely a backlog in the system due to the uptick in interest with the latest promo.....not to mention we're relying on Canada Post which is less than reliable at the best of times....

Did you apply for and receive the RBC Avion card? i've had it for several years due mainly to being a very long time RBC client and truth be told i'm looking at burning the miles i've got and moving auto-pays to other cards as the one good thing about the card is the marketing and little else....unless of course you want to take advantage of the transfer bonus to BA Avios when they offer it...
That's exactly what I'm planning to do, yes. I've had the card before and while it's nice it's not worth the annual fee IMHO. But Avios have some very sweet redemption spots and it's definitely worth having a few of them in the bank.

15k OW Tokyo-Seoul in JAL J for me this summer
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Here's the link for the latest Air Miles Mega Miles promo:
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/

If you shop at 5 sponsors, you get 1000 Air Miles ($100 value).
Last year: 1250 Air Miles ($125 value).

Here are the merchants I’ll attempt for the cards I manage.

These first 4 I should be able to do easily...
SHELL • Buy 25 L gas.
SAFEWAY: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
BMO AIR MILES MASTERCARD • I still have this card from my last churn. Need to spend $250. Earn 100 Air Miles for doing so. So that’s alright. Must opt in.
LIQUOR MARTS: Buy a selected product.

SOBEYS: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
IGA: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
REXALL: $40 spend (also 20x Air Miles) April 1 – 7.
HUDSON BAY: Register to auto-convert Hudson's Bay Rewards points to Miles (also +30 Air Miles)... I don't shop at The Bay, so, sure, why not?
LOWE’s: +50 Miles for $100+ spend

(These are based on Manitoba options; your options may differ.)

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 20, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Rewards Canada blog has a review of the SCENE program devaluation.
LINK: https://www.scene.ca/en-ca/updates
LINK: Rewards Canada: Cineplex's SCENE program changing earn and burn rates on April 17 - significantly devalues current balances and the SCENE Visa Card

SCENE's dining offers, however, don't appear to be changing.
But I don't think it would be possible for SCENE to devalue the dining redemptions offer any further.

1000 points earns a $10 off voucher.
With an earn rate of 1 point per $3 in spend, to reach 1000 points will take at least $3,000 in spend.
That $3000+ spend earns you... a $10 off voucher???

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

The offer as I read it is... buy 300 $10 meals, get the 301st meal free.
Can anyone find a worse reward program, for anything, anywhere, ever?

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 21, 2019 at 1:16 pm Reason: Add link
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry305
Rewards Canada blog has a review of the SCENE program devaluation.
Rewards Canada: Cineplex's SCENE program changing earn and burn rates on April 17 - significantly devalues current balances and the SCENE Visa Card

SCENE's dining offers, however, don't appear to be changing.
But I don't think it would be possible for SCENE to devalue the dining redemptions offer any further.

1000 points earns a $10 off voucher.
With an earn rate of 1 point per $3 in spend, to reach 1000 points will take at least $3,000 in spend.
That $3000+ spend earns you... a $10 off voucher???

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

The offer as I read it is... buy 300 $10 meals, get the 301st meal free.
Can anyone find a worse reward program, for anything, anywhere, ever?
Starbucks Rewards just got a HUGE devaluation announced where everything will cost TWICE as much to redeem for (and NO changes to earnings) than it used to... So there's that!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jerry305

Here's the link for the latest Air Miles Mega Miles promo:
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/

If you shop at 5 sponsors, you get 1000 Air Miles ($100 value).
Last year: 1250 Air Miles ($125 value).

Here are the merchants I’ll attempt for the cards I manage.

These first 4 I should be able to do easily...
SHELL • Buy 25 L gas.
SAFEWAY: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
BMO AIR MILES MASTERCARD • I still have this card from my last churn. Need to spend $250. Earn 100 Air Miles for doing so. So that’s alright. Must opt in.
LIQUOR MARTS: Buy a selected product.

SOBEYS: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
IGA: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
REXALL: $40 spend (also 20x Air Miles) April 1 – 7.
HUDSON BAY: Register to auto-convert Hudson's Bay Rewards points to Miles (also +30 Air Miles)... I don't shop at The Bay, so, sure, why not?
LOWE’s: +50 Miles for $100+ spend

(These are based on Manitoba options; your options may differ.)
Are you collecting cash or dream miles? Furthermore, is it possible to earn elite status or airline miles by booking flights with dream miles?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Are you collecting cash or dream miles? Furthermore, is it possible to earn elite status or airline miles by booking flights with dream miles?
AirMiles reward flights do not earn anything. They are treated as award travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.