Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

MilesBuzz: Canada

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 15, 18, 4:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerry305
Wiki Link
CURRENT PROMOS

Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer
A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information. For a full explanation of how to use the sheet, refer to http://www.pointsnerd.ca/best-current-credit-card-offers-2/

Scotiabank Passport™ Visa
Annual fee $139 + 1 free supplementary card
No Foreign Currency Conversion Fee
Complimentary Airport Lounge Access: Enjoy complimentary Priority Pass™ membership, plus 6 free visits per year from the date of enrolment.
25,000 Scotia Rewards points, after first $1,000 in everyday purchases in the first 3 months (worth $250 on self-booked travel)
http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/pers...nite-card.html

RBC Avion Visa
25,000 Points • First year free.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...rds_aggregator

TD First Class Travel®Visa Infinite* Card
50,000 Points (= $200 to $250 value) • First year free. Offer extended to June 3, 2018.

Best Western Rewards® Platinum Plus MasterCard® There is no annual fee. - Earn 40,000 Best Western Rewards® points on your first purchase – qualifying you for two free nights - Will be awarded "Gold Status" upon first use of your credit card and "Diamond Status" when you spend $10,000 in eligible purchases within one year - 1.99% promotional annual interest rate (AIR) on balance transfers for the first 10 full months - ... Note: the link that's prominently on MBNA's website only offers 20,000 points. Bonus: Best Western has a fantastic promo until the end of January: only 10,000 points per reward night at most properties; availability is becoming more limited for certain properties as this promo continues.

National Bank MasterCard $150 AF, 30,000 points https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...rld-elite.html

MBNA Rewards World Elite MasterCard: FYF ($89 AF), 10,000 bonus points

MBNA Alaska Airlines MasterCard: $75 AF (Sign up through GCR to get $60), 25,000 miles ($1k min. spend), companion fare discount code (US$99 + Taxes). FlyerTalk discussion thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...astercard.html

Capital One® Aspire Travel™ Platinum MasterCard®
Get 10,000 bonus reward miles when you spend $500 on net purchases in the first 3 months after account opening - a value of $100 in travel - No Annual Fee - Platinum MasterCard benefits, including Travel Accident insurance and Baggage Delay coverage
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...-29-14-49-C230

BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard

First year FREE ($120 annual)
3,000 Air Miles (1K when you first use card + 2K when you spend $3K/90 days)
Companion Flight Rebate
Priority Pass membership + two annual complimentary passes ($150 value)

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cr...te-mastercard/

AMEX 2018 discussion https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2018-a.html
Canadian American Express Cards: a separate FlyerTalk thread (2017 discussion)
(2016 discussion on Canadian Amex) separate FlyerTalk thread
(2015 discussion on Canadian Amex) separate FlyerTalk thread

FYF = First Year Free • AF = Annual Fee • GRC = Great Canadian Rebates • RFD = Red Flag Deals
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 14, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: *G
How long did it take you all to receive the TD card? It's been like two weeks since my approved application and nothing yet. I got the "you'll receive your card in a separate letter" mail a few days ago, too...
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
How long did it take you all to receive the TD card? It's been like two weeks since my approved application and nothing yet. I got the "you'll receive your card in a separate letter" mail a few days ago, too...
for me it was just under two weeks. i applied online on a friday and was approved right away. the card came some time in the second week after that, maybe a wednesday?

did you receive the letter with the PIN? my card came the very next day after the PIN.
Old Mar 15, 19, 4:00 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
for me it was just under two weeks. i applied online on a friday and was approved right away. the card came some time in the second week after that, maybe a wednesday?

did you receive the letter with the PIN? my card came the very next day after the PIN.
My card arrived yesterday, so about a week (7 business days) but i too received my separate PIN letter a few days earlier than the card. Then of course it took a further 10 minutes or so to get it activated as i jumped through hoops on the phone with TD.....why they don't just activate the card like every other provider is beyond me, but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Neil791 View Post
… but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
this exactly! the person on the phone kept going on and on and on about me signing up for balance protection insurance. i declined and she kept going. i politely declined again yet she continued to tell me how much i need it. this went on for minutes. not cool at all.
Neil791 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
this exactly! the person on the phone kept going on and on and on about me signing up for balance protection insurance. i declined and she kept going. i politely declined again yet she continued to tell me how much i need it. this went on for minutes. not cool at all.
I agree that the spiel about the balance protection insurance is clearly just a ploy to get you signed up for an otherwise useless service which someone, somewhere is clearly making a profit from.....reminds me of the salesperson insisting you need an extended warranty on your TV which nearly costs the same as the item you just bought...

Good thing i don't intend on keeping the card longer than i need to in order to get the sign up bonus
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:41 am

I have had them both at the same time previously and have receive the promo.
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jubberly View Post
I've been reading numerous opinions on whether or not the terms exclude taking advantage of both TD's FCT and Aeroplan offers at the same time.Some interpret the terms to exclude the offer for the 2nd account if the previous account was opened less than 6 months previously.

My take is that the 6 months is only applicable if its the same type of account ( FCT or Aeroplan),whereas others think that its ANY account and think that if you applied for both the FCT and Aeroplan at the same time that you would only receive the promo for the first application completed.

Have you or anyone else been able to confirm with someone from TD ?
I have had them both at the same time previously and have receive the promo.
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:48 am

My card arrived yesterday, so about a week (7 business days) but i too received my separate PIN letter a few days earlier than the card. Then of course it took a further 10 minutes or so to get it activated as i jumped through hoops on the phone with TD.....why they don't just activate the card like every other provider is beyond me, but i suppose they must want to try and get you enrolled in some of their other products along the way....they are a bank after all and we know they're often times worse than use car salesmen
I applied nearly three weeks ago, I received the first letter with the PIN early last week at the same time that I received the RBC card - for which I applied on the same day as the TD card. I might drop by the local branch to see if it went there instead.
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:58 am

Likely a backlog in the system due to the uptick in interest with the latest promo.....not to mention we're relying on Canada Post which is less than reliable at the best of times....

Did you apply for and receive the RBC Avion card? i've had it for several years due mainly to being a very long time RBC client and truth be told i'm looking at burning the miles i've got and moving auto-pays to other cards as the one good thing about the card is the marketing and little else....unless of course you want to take advantage of the transfer bonus to BA Avios when they offer it...
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:43 pm

Likely a backlog in the system due to the uptick in interest with the latest promo.....not to mention we're relying on Canada Post which is less than reliable at the best of times....

Did you apply for and receive the RBC Avion card? i've had it for several years due mainly to being a very long time RBC client and truth be told i'm looking at burning the miles i've got and moving auto-pays to other cards as the one good thing about the card is the marketing and little else....unless of course you want to take advantage of the transfer bonus to BA Avios when they offer it...
That's exactly what I'm planning to do, yes. I've had the card before and while it's nice it's not worth the annual fee IMHO. But Avios have some very sweet redemption spots and it's definitely worth having a few of them in the bank.

15k OW Tokyo-Seoul in JAL J for me this summer
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Here's the link for the latest Air Miles Mega Miles promo:
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/

If you shop at 5 sponsors, you get 1000 Air Miles ($100 value).
Last year: 1250 Air Miles ($125 value).

Here are the merchants I’ll attempt for the cards I manage.

These first 4 I should be able to do easily...
SHELL • Buy 25 L gas.
SAFEWAY: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
BMO AIR MILES MASTERCARD • I still have this card from my last churn. Need to spend $250. Earn 100 Air Miles for doing so. So that’s alright. Must opt in.
LIQUOR MARTS: Buy a selected product.

SOBEYS: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
IGA: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
REXALL: $40 spend (also 20x Air Miles) April 1 – 7.
HUDSON BAY: Register to auto-convert Hudson's Bay Rewards points to Miles (also +30 Air Miles)... I don't shop at The Bay, so, sure, why not?
LOWE’s: +50 Miles for $100+ spend

(These are based on Manitoba options; your options may differ.)

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 20, 19 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Rewards Canada blog has a review of the SCENE program devaluation.
LINK: https://www.scene.ca/en-ca/updates
LINK: Rewards Canada: Cineplex's SCENE program changing earn and burn rates on April 17 - significantly devalues current balances and the SCENE Visa Card

SCENE's dining offers, however, don't appear to be changing.
But I don't think it would be possible for SCENE to devalue the dining redemptions offer any further.

1000 points earns a $10 off voucher.
With an earn rate of 1 point per $3 in spend, to reach 1000 points will take at least $3,000 in spend.
That $3000+ spend earns you... a $10 off voucher???

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

The offer as I read it is... buy 300 $10 meals, get the 301st meal free.
Can anyone find a worse reward program, for anything, anywhere, ever?
lsquare and sleepybedhead like this.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 21, 19 at 1:16 pm Reason: Add link
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
Rewards Canada blog has a review of the SCENE program devaluation.
Rewards Canada: Cineplex's SCENE program changing earn and burn rates on April 17 - significantly devalues current balances and the SCENE Visa Card

SCENE's dining offers, however, don't appear to be changing.
But I don't think it would be possible for SCENE to devalue the dining redemptions offer any further.

1000 points earns a $10 off voucher.
With an earn rate of 1 point per $3 in spend, to reach 1000 points will take at least $3,000 in spend.
That $3000+ spend earns you... a $10 off voucher???

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

The offer as I read it is... buy 300 $10 meals, get the 301st meal free.
Can anyone find a worse reward program, for anything, anywhere, ever?
Starbucks Rewards just got a HUGE devaluation announced where everything will cost TWICE as much to redeem for (and NO changes to earnings) than it used to... So there's that!
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post

Here's the link for the latest Air Miles Mega Miles promo:
https://airmilesmegamiles.ca/en/

If you shop at 5 sponsors, you get 1000 Air Miles ($100 value).
Last year: 1250 Air Miles ($125 value).

Here are the merchants I’ll attempt for the cards I manage.

These first 4 I should be able to do easily...
SHELL • Buy 25 L gas.
SAFEWAY: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
BMO AIR MILES MASTERCARD • I still have this card from my last churn. Need to spend $250. Earn 100 Air Miles for doing so. So that’s alright. Must opt in.
LIQUOR MARTS: Buy a selected product.

SOBEYS: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
IGA: $50+ spend (also 5x Air Miles)
REXALL: $40 spend (also 20x Air Miles) April 1 – 7.
HUDSON BAY: Register to auto-convert Hudson's Bay Rewards points to Miles (also +30 Air Miles)... I don't shop at The Bay, so, sure, why not?
LOWE’s: +50 Miles for $100+ spend

(These are based on Manitoba options; your options may differ.)
Are you collecting cash or dream miles? Furthermore, is it possible to earn elite status or airline miles by booking flights with dream miles?
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Are you collecting cash or dream miles? Furthermore, is it possible to earn elite status or airline miles by booking flights with dream miles?
AirMiles reward flights do not earn anything. They are treated as award travel.

Search this Thread