MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
Amex cobalt fixed redemption chart

Oh, ok, thanks folks....i thought there was an actual chart.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pokee
Maybe...how easy is the app? I don't want to dick around with sending them pay stubs/tax returns (like I have to with Scotiabank and then still get declined). I think I've been spoiled with my easy Amex and MBNA churning apps....

My credit score is excellent, but I hold a lot of cards.
Two thumbs down on my experience with the HSBC card. I have had the card about 6 months. The credit limit is so low that I can't book a business class ticket and a hotel stay without going over the limit. I called to get them to raise the limit and first thing they asked about was my other accounts with HSBC of which I have none. Ultimately I got a letter that the increase was declined and when I called in to ask why they said it was due to infrequent use - because I don't use the card enough. What a pile of crap. I tried. I have had multiple transactions declined while travelling because I would exceed the limit. I guess I will be cancelling this turkey when the annual fee comes due. I do like no forex fees so I will probably go for the Scotia but I have learned my lesson and will first check the limit.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Two thumbs down on my experience with the HSBC card. I have had the card about 6 months. The credit limit is so low that I can't book a business class ticket and a hotel stay without going over the limit. I called to get them to raise the limit and first thing they asked about was my other accounts with HSBC of which I have none.
I had a similar issue applying for the HSBC credit card. However, I had several accounts with them with substantial amounts in them to boot. When I applied I was rejected in spite of me having a dozen cards and a near perfect credit score. About 2 weeks after I received the letter someone from HSBC called to apologize and offer the card at which point I rejected them! Meanwhile AmEx had no problem issuing me another card, this time for the UK (where I moved to study), no questions to answer just scan passport provide details of existing relationship with AmEx over the phone and 2 weeks later my UK card arrived!

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I do like no forex fees so I will probably go for the Scotia but I have learned my lesson and will first check the limit.
Have you checked out the Brim Financial card? I got that card for specifically that feature and it's got no annual fee to boot. It also earns cash rewards at a rate of 1% and has a bunch of other features like free Boingo global wifi and $500 mobile device insurance. They also have cards with annual fees from $100-$200 like Brim World and Brim World Elite which carry the same features but also have lounge access, increased insurance, etc. They also run promotions from time to time, I ended up getting a year of Amazon Prime free after spending $1000 on the card. IMHO the no annual BRIM card is the best, particularly if you are like me and hold other cards/status that provide better benefits (i.e. AE Gold).

Safe Travels,

James
allbrosca likes this.

Last edited by MileageAddict; May 11, 2019 at 11:49 pm Reason: referral link removed
Old May 17, 2019, 5:38 pm

I am wondering if anyone holding the AMEX SPG card has applied for the new AMEX Bonvoy card and received the 60 000 bonus points?
Old May 22, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Airmiles ticket follow up

Originally Posted by tobegold

AC and LH, always on flights to Europe including connections within Canada and Europe. About 12 years ago was even able to use upgrades to business class on AC from YVR to LHR for wife & son (came through last minute at the gate), I was travelling with them on a separate ticket (RBC Avion redemption) which was upgraded months prior. This was when upgrades were generous compared to now on AC. Always check ticket terms as often they explicitly state the ticket will not earn miles, especially on an all segment operated by LH issued ticket.

In addition to our trip to Turkey, we redeemed for a trip to Australia on Air New Zealand for the fall. The BMO Airmiles World Elite card giving effectively 2 for 1 redemptions on both trips. Unfortunately the fare bucket on Air NZ earns nothing on TK but gets 25% on UA.
We returned from our Turkish vacation on the weekend, all flights (LH and TK) posted to my TK and my wife’s Aeroplan accounts.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Just a reminder that this promo ends Sunday June 2...

Originally Posted by NL709
Great new offer from TD Canada Trust. Up to 30,000 Aeroplan miles and FYF.

Get up to 30,000 Aeroplan Miles Plus, 1st year Annual Fee Rebate for Primary Cardholder. Conditions apply. Offer ends June 2, 2019.

Apply online by June 2, 2019 to get a full Annual Fee Rebate1 for the Primary Cardholder for the first year and up to 30,000 Aeroplan Miles (that's equivalent to 2 short- haul roundtrip flight rewards1) as follows:
Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you make your first Purchase with your Card
+
15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account opening

http://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ban...infinite-card/
Old May 29, 2019, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

There's a new batch of PointBreaks hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inn hotels, for now till August 31, 2019.

PointBreaks are reward stays available starting at 5,000 points.
There are offers for 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points.

If you don't have points, you can purchase points from the IHG website.
Better yet, (I believe) there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points (2 nights' worth) for US $70. This workaround is discussed in other threads. PM me if you have questions.
Other methods are discussed starting around post 3925 of this thread...

Full list of PointBreaks hotels in Canada, US & overseas:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks ​​​​

Hotels in Canada available for
for 5,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bonnyville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Drayton Valley

for 10,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Medicine Hat Transcanada Hwy 1

for 15,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Toronto-Mississauga
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa-Orleans
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Was trying to take advantage of the 35% transfer bonus promo when transferring Marriott Bonvoy > Aeroplan.

Transferred 120,000 expecting I would get 67,500 Aeroplan points.
Checked today, only received 50,000.

Is it normal for the extra points to be delayed?
Or what's the best way to address the discrepancy - contact Marriott or contact AE?

Last edited by CanadianMike; Jun 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Was trying to take advantage of the 35% transfer bonus promo when transferring Marriott Bonvoy > Aeroplan.

Transferred 120,000 expecting I would get 67,500 Aeroplan points.
Checked today, only received 50,000.

Is it normal for the extra points to be delayed?
Or what's the best way to address the discrepancy - contact Marriott or contact AE?
Because of the way AP phrased it, I would have expected either 64'000 (40'000*1.35 + 10'000) or 67'500 ((40'000+10'000)*1.35) points - either way, more than the 50 you received without the bonus.

Given that the promo expired yesterday though, when did the points deposit? If today, then technically you missed it and 50'000 would be correct.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Because of the way AP phrased it, I would have expected either 64'000 (40'000*1.35 + 10'000) or 67'500 ((40'000+10'000)*1.35) points - either way, more than the 50 you received without the bonus.

Given that the promo expired yesterday though, when did the points deposit? If today, then technically you missed it and 50'000 would be correct.
I initiated the transfer on June 23rd or 24th (prior to the promo ending).
On my Aeroplan portal the point deposit is dated June 24th.

But I'm 90% sure the promo ended on the 25th?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I initiated the transfer on June 23rd or 24th (prior to the promo ending).
On my Aeroplan portal the point deposit is dated June 24th.

But I'm 90% sure the promo ended on the 25th?
I still have the email. I just checked and it says:
Bonus offer valid only on conversions received from Marriott BonvoyTM loyalty program points into Aeroplan Miles made between June 20 and June 26, 2019 (23:59 EDT).

Did you just receive the points today? It doesn’t matter when you initiated the transfer, it is when Aeroplan receives them.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:34 pm

Yea again, not sure. I hadn't logged in to check until today.
The transaction date where the points were deposited says June 24th though - is that the deposit date or date of transfer?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yea again, not sure. I hadn't logged in to check until today.
The transaction date where the points were deposited says June 24th though - is that the deposit date or date of transfer?
No clue. I do have the email if you need it. This is the whole text of the fine print at the bottom:

Bonus offer valid only on conversions received from Marriott BonvoyTM loyalty program points into Aeroplan Miles made between June 20 and June 26, 2019 (23:59 EDT). All the other hotel loyalty programs are not eligible for this bonus miles promotion.

Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be issued by Aeroplan as follows: once the total Aeroplan Miles are earned by exchanging points from the Marriott BonvoyTM program during the promotion, the bonus miles that will be deposited will represent 35% of the total miles earned from the exchange. Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4 to 6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of June 26th, 2019.

While the conversion of Membership RewardsŪ points from American Express Card members accounts into Aeroplan Miles is still possible, it is not eligible for this bonus miles promotion.

Bonus Aeroplan Miles received from the exchange of Marriott BonvoyTM points or any other hotel loyalty program points into Aeroplan Miles are not eligible for status in the Aeroplan program. Please note that the Marriott BonvoyTM program has hotel and flight redemption packages where Aeroplan Miles are issued however these said packages are not eligible to receive conversion bonuses
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Anytime I've transferred points during a bonus period, the bonus points have posted separately. I would give it a week or so.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:13 pm

Appreciate the replies! I'll wait it out and see how long it takes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.