MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by pokee
In the past few years I've used them mainly on Alaska (flights to Hawaii and LA) and in Cathay Pacific (direct flights to NYC).
What's the number of Avios required for YVR-HNL? WS is currently selling tickets for $398 for YVR-HNL return.

CX is 25,000 Avios one way for YVR-JFK right?

Any other good use of Avios in North America? I got a lot that I want to burn.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

12.5k one way in economy YVR to JFK, double for premium economy, triple for business, quadruple for first

12.5k one way Bellingham to Maui, or Seattle to any Hawaii airport. If you add on YVR to Seattle, that's another 7.5k each way since Avios is per segment
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
12.5k one way in economy YVR to JFK, double for premium economy, triple for business, quadruple for first

12.5k one way Bellingham to Maui, or Seattle to any Hawaii airport. If you add on YVR to Seattle, that's another 7.5k each way since Avios is per segment
Ouch. So there's no way to go from YVR-HNL on the cheap with Avios? At a minimum I have to get to Bellingham?

Any other worthy North American redemption?

Thank you.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Avios is per segment, I suppose flying direct is the only way to get a good redemption. So after a quick search on BA's website, I guess YVR-ORD,SFO,LAX, and JFK represent the best redemption.

Is YVR-NRT at 25,000 Avios one-way plus tax worth it? I'm guessing it'll be 50,000 Avios return. YVR-HKG is 30,000 Avios+plus one-way.

Anything else?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Any YYZ outbound flights? Seems like YYZ-NYC availability is quite scarce
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
BMO Airmiles World Elite MC offer is back - 3K miles, FYF and companion ticket. My wife already has this card, can I use the same Airmiles # to apply for this card?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Just a quick heads up about two Air Canada promotions.

$50 statement credit offer when booking a flight on aircanada.com and paying with Masterpass. Note you can use any credit card with Masterpass including Amex.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/ai...asterpass.html

Sobeys in Ontario is selling Air Canada gift cards at a 10% discount. Variable reload up to $500. May be helpful for meeting credit card minimum spend requirements. Sobeys accepts Amex also.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by tobegold
BMO Airmiles World Elite MC offer is back - 3K miles, FYF and companion ticket. My wife already has this card, can I use the same Airmiles # to apply for this card?
I had the card in the past, am I disqualified? Are points credited once spend is met. I don't remember how these were credited in the past.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Is there any realistic chance of getting an upgrade on AC using Aeroplan points? Is it worth trying to upgrade from a class O ticket (FCO - YYZ) if I do it immediately after purchasing the ticket, 355 days in advance of my travel date? I have relatively few Aeroplan points left, as I figure they're soon going to be of little use, so I don't have the 55,000 required for a Business Class seat back from Rome, and I can't get a Premium Economy seat with points anyway, so I'll be paying cash for the ticket. Should I spend my remaining points on toasters, or is an upgrade actually a possibility?
Probably best to ask this over on the Air Canada Aeroplan Forum. Lot's of helpful advice there.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Probably best to ask this over on the Air Canada Aeroplan Forum. Lot's of helpful advice there.
Calliopeflyer - your inquiry has been moved to the AC forum.

MileageAddict
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Having the same issue. Calculator page shows normal transfer rate and promo page just redirects to the general transfer partners page. Perhaps this transfer bonus is targeted?
Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Thanks for that. Did the same and it worked perfect, 30% Avios bonus is really cool!
Originally Posted by transportprof
I find Avios very valuable for short haul flights in Asia, Australia and Europe.
Originally Posted by sxc234
out of curiosity, how are Canadians using Avios these days?

I just transferresd 75k MR from amex to avos and got 22k bonus. It took 2 days. On the front page in the promo banner it says transfer for 30% bonus but nowhere during the transfer process did it ever say bonus. It just said 75k = 75k. I just had to wait until my balance changed and saw 75k + bonus deposit at once.
Great value for hopping around NZ and Australia and within europe
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:12 pm

I transferred twice this week, no problem at all

1st test 1000 AMEX MR > 1300 Avios in 2 days
11/6 Transferred 1000 AMEX MR to Jerry's Avios. 11/8 +1300 in jerry

2nd xfer 90K > still waiting
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I transferred twice this week, no problem at all

1st test 1000 AMEX MR > 1300 Avios in 2 days
11/6 Transferred 1000 AMEX MR to Jerry's Avios. 11/8 +1300 in jerry

2nd xfer 90K > still waiting
Is it safe to transfer my AMEX MR to a family member's AVIOS account, with the same address?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
Is it safe to transfer my AMEX MR to a family member's AVIOS account, with the same address?
The beauty of BA avios is that you can hold a household account. See this link here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca...e-whole-family.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
This offer expires December 3... it worked great for me.

TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card
https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/

Get up to $315 cash back on $3500 spend.
Earn 9% in Cash Back Dollars on eligible gas and grocery purchases and recurring bill payments for the first 3 months2 up to a total spend of $3,500. Must apply by December 3, 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.