MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by flyer05
Useful info as always JJ! Guess that means I need to rid myself of my existing 2 BW cards in order to ever get a new one... does MBNA allow product switches?
It would be prudent to, unless you want to pave a new path with an attempt to get a 3rd concurrent card?

MBNA used to do product switches, but stopped when they moved over to the TD servers a couple of years ago. I believe they were going to start them back up again, but to date I haven't heard of anyone being allowed to convert their cards. Anyone have a recent success story to share here?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Thanks Chris. I got the $300 new account promos for both RBC and CIBC last year. I was due to shut down the CIBC account at end of May, but didn't get around to it, so I think I won't be eligible for this new CIBC promo. Do you know the terms? Can I close down the account today, and then open it again in Aug, and still qualify for the $300?
Nope you wont be eligible. If you had close down before May 1st before the promo would have started, you would be eligible.

"This Offer is only open to residents of Canada who: (i) have reached the age of majority; and; (ii) at the
beginning of the Offer Period, were not a holder (or joint holder) of a CIBC chequing account, as determined by
CIBC at its sole discretion on the basis of its official records"

One thing I notice at the bottom of the terms, if you shut down after receiving the reward they can invoice you at their discretion as you need to keep the account open for a full year.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Chris101
Nope you wont be eligible. If you had close down before May 1st before the promo would have started, you would be eligible.

"This Offer is only open to residents of Canada who: (i) have reached the age of majority; and; (ii) at the
beginning of the Offer Period, were not a holder (or joint holder) of a CIBC chequing account, as determined by
CIBC at its sole discretion on the basis of its official records"

One thing I notice at the bottom of the terms, if you shut down after receiving the reward they can invoice you at their discretion as you need to keep the account open for a full year.
Chris, thanks for the info! Much appreciated! Saves me the trouble.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Has anyone applied for the Amex Airmiles Platinum Credit Card (2000 airmiles awarded after minimum spend) a second time and received the airmiles?
I cancelled this card a year ago. I read that this welcome bonus is supposed to be only given to first time card holders but......
I have...couple months ago,airmiles bonus received again.I applied thru GCR for a $50 cash rebate.Previous card was closed 15 months ago.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
I have...couple months ago,airmiles bonus received again.I applied thru GCR for a $50 cash rebate.Previous card was closed 15 months ago.

Although I have a GCR account, Ive never used it. I find that when they have a promo available for a particular card, the welcome bonus miles offered was much less. If I compared the rebate amount to the value of the points I'm loosing, the points are worth a lot more.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chris101
Although I have a GCR account, Ive never used it. I find that when they have a promo available for a particular card, the welcome bonus miles offered was much less. If I compared the rebate amount to the value of the points I'm loosing, the points are worth a lot more.
The only cards I've applied for via GCR are the MBNA Alaska MC and Scotiabank Amex and Visa where the bonuses were the same offered via direct apply.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:16 pm

Exclamation

My Chase Marriott Visa is now being reported under Scotiabank on my credit report!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by imverge
My Chase Marriott Visa is now being reported under Scotiabank on my credit report!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...cotiabank.html
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Interesting. Thanks for the data point. I just got a MBNA BW a couple of months ago at 40K, thought I'd pull the handle again but based on this I think I might just leave it alone. Looks like MBNA is closing the door on multiples?
I am not sure.

They were very snarky when I tried to apply for "too many cards" with them a few months ago. The rep was actually unbelievably rude.

Given that I had actually closed my first card a few days before I applied for the new different (60,000 points) best western card, I wasn't even trying to do multiples of the same card.

According to the rep, however, they will decline you for a second card of the same type.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
@alexteacher , sorry to hear. I tried to give a warning about MBNA's newer policies regarding duplicate cards, from a couple of weeks ago. I won't quote all of them, but start reading the posts from around here.

Myself, I was lucky last year that they closed my older existing card and gave me the new one anyways. Sad they couldn't do it for you as well. I know you've mentioned some quick turnaround times between cancel/re-apply in the past. Better to try and stick to a 30-90 day wait period from now on, I suppose.

@flyer05 , you were looking for a datapoint for the MBNA BWR cards, well here you go. Multiple/duplicate cards of the same product are getting muted by MBNA.
Hi JJJ,

Yeah, I wasn't going for a multiple. They botched the closing of one card. But I was definitely going for a quick application of a same branded card. I had read that others held the two cards together, so I thought there was no shame in trying.

I do wonder, despite what the rep said, whether I would have been approved for the second card of the first had indeed been closed.

I will PM you why I go for quick turnarounds sometimes. It's a personal reason and not related to strategy...or else I would share.

And datapoint for everyone:

My mother referred me to a new Amex Biz Plat. I have held before. After calling in, I was approved. About one week later, I have now (today) received an email that my card is on its way, and my mother already received the referral points.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Amex Gold Rewards referral points ends TODAY.

User markandrew posted this on another forum:

I note the language on the Amex Gold Rewards referral now has a deadline of July 10th to apply. Seems they are withdrawing or mixing up the referral programme on that card only after that date. I hope above all that we do not lose the chance to refer from the other MR cards to the Gold Rewards - that would be a tough loss.

Here's that post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28536732

Terms & conditions on Amex's website now says:
"To be eligible for this referral bonus, your friend must apply for the Card by July 10th , 2017. We can still accept applications after this date but you may or may not be eligible for a bonus. See Referral Program Terms for details."

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 10, 2017 at 1:18 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jerry305
Amex Gold Rewards referrals end TODAY.

User markandrew posted this another forum:
I note the language on the Amex Gold Rewards referral now has a deadline of July 10th to apply. Seems they are withdrawing or mixing up the referral programme on that card only after that date. I hope above all that we do not lose the chance to refer from the other MR cards to the Gold Rewards - that would be a tough loss.

Here's that post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post28536732

Terms & conditions on the website say this:
"To be eligible for this referral bonus, your friend must apply for the Card by July 10th , 2017. We can still accept applications after this date but you may or may not be eligible for a bonus. See Referral Program Terms for details."
just to re-iterate, this language only appears when referring FROM a personal gold, not from a different card. Eg the language doesnt show when I try and refer from my plat, so hopefully plat -> gold stays alive.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:27 pm

my wife just got declined for Alaska card for too high credit with MBNA, then she ask for transfer existing limit from BW Card also get declined, escalate also won't budge..................very strange though since I know I have done several times before, last year when I apply BW card MBNA just auto reduce limit on my Alaska and put rest on BW without even inform me, ...............

so should I Cancel her BW card now to reapply or reduce BW card limit to reapply? How do you guy do it now? got the card and reduce to the mini 5K limit?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
my wife just got declined for Alaska card for too high credit with MBNA, then she ask for transfer existing limit from BW Card also get declined, escalate also won't budge..................very strange though since I know I have done several times before, last year when I apply BW card MBNA just auto reduce limit on my Alaska and put rest on BW without even inform me, ...............

so should I Cancel her BW card now to reapply or reduce BW card limit to reapply? How do you guy do it now? got the card and reduce to the mini 5K limit?

Thanks!
Can you share the details of the credit limit of all the cards?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88

Thanks!
I'd cancel BW card and wait to reapply for Alaska in 60 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.