MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
Thanks! Is there any offer code or anything like that in your letter?
No offer code. But I have a TD Gold Elite Visa card that they are offering to switch to this new TD Cash Back Visa Infinite card. Maybe it's only for existing TD cardholders?

The $3500 maximum would cap the 6% cash back potential to $210. Doesn't really sound that appealing to me. The offer is good until Sep 5th. I'll wait a bit before I decide.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by WKnight
Thanks. I do see the initial 20,000 points in the MBNA Rewards Earning Activity page, and it is tied to the first purchase that I made. I have now surpassed the first $1000, but there is no additional 20,000 tied to the spending that put me over. I did have a small refund, but it's still totaling up to more than $1000. Maybe I'll see the points when the first statement closes.
Transfer occurs after statement closes but earning is usually posted as spent or as target met. Call them about the bonus and see what they say. For me they usually say the bonuses might take upto 90 days. Don't know if its from card opening or meeting the expenditure.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Transfer occurs after statement closes but earning is usually posted as spent or as target met. Call them about the bonus and see what they say. For me they usually say the bonuses might take upto 90 days. Don't know if its from card opening or meeting the expenditure.
That's OK. I'm not in a rush for the points anymore. I'll just wait and see when they actually post at MBNA, and then after that I'll monitor to see when they are actually transferred to BestWestern.com
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:10 pm

Thank you. I did already see 20,000 Best Western points earned attached with my first purchase with the card, plus the small additional points I've been earning with regular spending. I was wondering if the next tiered 20,000 points for spending $1000 within 90 days would appear right away, or do I need to wait for the full 90 days. I suppose I can find out once I reach $1000 in spending, later this week.
Yeah, let us know, because I'm curious, too. If I can get the full 40,000 right away, I may put my car insurance on this card. Otherwise, I'll just putter away using it for leisure stuff...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, let us know, because I'm curious, too. If I can get the full 40,000 right away, I may put my car insurance on this card. Otherwise, I'll just putter away using it for leisure stuff...
Please allow 150 days from the account opening date for the bonus BWR points to be posted to your points account.

That is from the terms on this signup and if last year's 60k offer experience was any indication, it will take a long time to get the points. But YMMV!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by 604flyer
Please allow 150 days from the account opening date for the bonus BWR points to be posted to your points account.

That is from the terms on this signup and if last year's 60k offer experience was any indication, it will take a long time to get the points. But YMMV!
Yeap, the last time it took up to 5 billing cycles.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Yeap, the last time it took up to 5 billing cycles.
Sounds about as bad as my long wait for my Amex Biz Gold bonus.........
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I need help to improve a credit score.

One of the people on my (small) team of churners needs to go get a car loan. But, I recently convinced her to apply for 3 cards (a gold Amex, a BW MBNA MC, and earlier an SPG Amex, in addition to 2 more traditional cards). She also holds a mortgage.

I can't find this info elsewhere for Canada.

• Is the interest rate for a future loan going to be higher because of this mini app-o-rama?
• Should she try to reduce her credit limit? Will it make a difference?
• Should she cancel older cards? Will it make a difference?

Any advice, or direction to a good resource, or PM's, gratefully accepted.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:18 pm

So has anyone applied for the Best Western card after cancelling recently (less than 3 months?) . Were you approved or declined?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
I need help to improve a credit score.

One of the people on my (small) team of churners needs to go get a car loan. But, I recently convinced her to apply for 3 cards (a gold Amex, a BW MBNA MC, and earlier an SPG Amex, in addition to 2 more traditional cards). She also holds a mortgage.

I can't find this info elsewhere for Canada.

• Is the interest rate for a future loan going to be higher because of this mini app-o-rama?
• Should she try to reduce her credit limit? Will it make a difference?
• Should she cancel older cards? Will it make a difference?

Any advice, or direction to a good resource, or PM's, gratefully accepted.
The interest rate will be dictated by her credit score and all the new credit and hard pulls will not help in that dept.

What is the age of each card?

I wouldn't lower the limit either because if anything it will show she is not maxing out her cards (I hope she is not) and wouldn't cancel anything just yet. You may get a lender who will say "you have too much credit" which at that point you can offer to close one or two accounts to appease their concern.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I signed up for the 60,000 promo, so not sure if this applies for the 40,000 promo.

I got the 20,000 posted right after my first purchase, as witnessed at the MBNA Rewards site. Plus my first statement has cycled, and the points were transferred from MBNA to BestWestern.com by the NEXT day, so that's great.

But, I've now surpassed the first $1000, which should merit another 20,000, but unlike the initial 20,000, this middle-tier bonus has not appeared at MBNA Rewards site, so it's unlikely I'll get the points into BW.com after my 2nd statement closes. I expect the same after my second $1000 (total $2000) has been spent. It will probably not be awarded until at least the 3rd statement.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
So has anyone applied for the Best Western card after cancelling recently (less than 3 months?) . Were you approved or declined?
Someone mentioned that MBNA told him to wait 90 days before reapplying after cancelling. This was a recent posting, within the past month or so.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by imverge
The interest rate will be dictated by her credit score and all the new credit and hard pulls will not help in that dept.

What is the age of each card?

I wouldn't lower the limit either because if anything it will show she is not maxing out her cards (I hope she is not) and wouldn't cancel anything just yet. You may get a lender who will say "you have too much credit" which at that point you can offer to close one or two accounts to appease their concern.
Thanks, imverge.

She has two cards that are several years old, an SPG Amex from last year, and two cards in the last month. For the new cards, she'll make the spend required for the churn and then probably not a lot more.

Payment history has been solid.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
She has two cards that are several years old, an SPG Amex from last year, and two cards in the last month. For the new cards, she'll make the spend required for the churn and then probably not a lot more.
Cancelling older cards would lower the average age which would lower the credit score, not increase it. It would also increase the ratio of debt to limit which could also be bad, unless you pay the cards off just before statement posts. The recent hard pulls you can really do nothing about except for waiting it out, I believe after 2 or 3 months it won't have much impact. Right now I'd just hold off and only cancel/lower credit limits if they request it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:45 pm

Someone mentioned that MBNA told him to wait 90 days before reapplying after cancelling. This was a recent posting, within the past month or so.
I don't see that post. and I am looking for an actual data point though..someone applying and then being declined...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.