MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, and the equivalents that I don't use.
I applied for the Best Western card Saturday and got the "please wait 10-15 days for a reply". I called today and a credit analyst answered, apparently he's above a normal rep, he said I just got the Alaska card a month ago(and I closed my previous one within 6 months) and pretty much grilled me over my application. After a 10 minute chat confirming my income and good credit score, he decided to approve it but only for 5k. I've never been put through the wringer like that before but he pretty much attributed to both cards being with MBNA.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I have had 2 BW credit cards (not at the same time) and with this 60k promotion I applied on behalf of my husband who has a good credit rating and never having had the card before. We got the same "wait and see" message and a week later got a letter saying he was rejected.
He called and was told I had (mistakenly!) reported his personal income at 700k instead of 70k!!! Yikes, that must have raised a red flag. After some time on the phone he agreed to send in proof of $70k income and we hope he will get the card and the points.
I plan to apply again before the promotion ends in August (I cancelled previous card in June) and will be more careful....
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
I have had 2 BW credit cards (not at the same time) and with this 60k promotion I applied on behalf of my husband who has a good credit rating and never having had the card before. We got the same "wait and see" message and a week later got a letter saying he was rejected.
He called and was told I had (mistakenly!) reported his personal income at 700k instead of 70k!!! Yikes, that must have raised a red flag. After some time on the phone he agreed to send in proof of $70k income and we hope he will get the card and the points.
I plan to apply again before the promotion ends in August (I cancelled previous card in June) and will be more careful....
But has your husband ever had ANY MBNA card, either current or in the past? I'm not surprised they flagged the income value, but I am surprised they asked for income proof, especially if he already has an MBNA file.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
No, he has never had a NBNA card of any kind so nothing on file for him.
i am the prime churner in the family but involve him when it is beneficial. He does appreciate the travel though!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

60 days? I will ask her cancel BW today and reapply BW/Alaska in the end of August
Originally Posted by imverge
I'd cancel BW card and wait to reapply for Alaska in 60 days.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:28 am

Hey guys, I signed up for Best Western rewards MC for first time, made a purchase, and now I have 40,000 points in my MBNA online banking account. How do I redeem these points, or transfer them to my BWR account? I tried calling MC and BW customer service but they can't help me.

Me not so smart.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by NaturalHatTrick
Hey guys, I signed up for Best Western rewards MC for first time, made a purchase, and now I have 40,000 points in my MBNA online banking account. How do I redeem these points, or transfer them to my BWR account? I tried calling MC and BW customer service but they can't help me.

Me not so smart.
1. This is a new one for me.
2. If I had 40,000 BW points, I'd value that at about $150 to $250.
But 40,000 MBNA points is worth $400, I believe.
Since you've already made a good faith effort to convert the points to what they should be, with no luck, it's your call if you want to attempt to redeem them. So you can see the points in your account? Are you able to start a reward redemption?

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 12, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Since you've already made a good faith effort to convert the points to what they should be, with no luck, it's your call if you want to attempt to redeem them.
I meant, I have 40,000 BW points, but the only way to see them is in my MC online banking account. I can see the points but no way to book a hotel with them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Since you've already made a good faith effort to convert the points to what they should be, with no luck, it's your call if you want to attempt to redeem them.
I meant, I have 40,000 BW points, but the only way to see them is in my MC online banking account. I can see the points but no way to book a hotel with them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:23 am

I think he means MBNA on line banking account and rewards referring to BWR.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I think he means MBNA on line banking account and rewards referring to BWR.
Sorry. Never had an MBNA banking account. I dunno how the interface shows points.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Sorry. Never had an MBNA banking account. I dunno how the interface shows points.
How do you get to your file for credit cards from MBNA. Each card has a reward folder and in fact directs you to your points activities etc. BWR rewards are different than MBNA' s other cards but still are very explicit.

In fact how to you see your credit card's activity on line for any Bank issues cards. Its called online banking sign-ins.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by NaturalHatTrick

Me not so smart.
Not a problem at all. You simply create a BW account, write down your account number, then call MBNA and ask them to link your account & transfer the points. I've had to do this before when my rewards number wasn't registered properly upon opening the card account. Might take 1-2 statements for your points (and Gold status) to transfer over so just be patient for that.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
But has your husband ever had ANY MBNA card, either current or in the past? I'm not surprised they flagged the income value, but I am surprised they asked for income proof, especially if he already has an MBNA file.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.
I guess if your income was really 700k, they'd want to verify it so they could offer you a high credit limit. If your income is 700k, you probably wouldn't be very happy with a 10k limit
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:36 am

I had instant approval for the MBNA Best Western card. The card finally arrived after 2 weeks. I signed up with the 60,000 points promotion. I have already spent over $1,000. So, I should get the initial 20,000 when my first statement posts. But what about then next 20,000 for the first $1,000 spending? Will I have to wait for the 90 days or it will be on the first statement as well? Anyone know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.