MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I just received an e-mail from Best Western, advertising that their 60'000 signup promo is back! Awesome. I think their last "big" signup promo was 80k )or was it 60 as well? I dont trcall)but 60k for a no-fee card is great either way. Not sure if personalized but here's the details:

" • Get 20,000 bonus points†† after your first eligible purchase--that's already enough points for at least ONE FREE NIGHT**
• Spend $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get an additional 20,000 bonus points†† OR
• Spend $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get a total of 60,000 bonus points†"

T&C's say nothing preventin repeat signups, here's the link:
https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...9&locale=en_CA

Last edited by Smiley90; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I just received an e-mail from Best Western, advertising that their 60'000 signup promo is back! Awesome. I think their last "big" signup promo was 80k )or was it 60 as well? I dont trcall)but 60k for a no-fee card is great either way. Not sure if personalized but here's the details:

" • Get 20,000 bonus points†† after your first eligible purchase--that's already enough points for at least ONE FREE NIGHT**
• Spend $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get an additional 20,000 bonus points†† OR
• Spend $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get a total of 60,000 bonus points†"

^^^

Here's a rewards chart:
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/re...em-awards.html

60,000 BW points will get you:

3-4 room nights, or
US $250 in BW gift cards, or
around US $200 in gift cards (not all merchants available from Canada) or
(not as optimal...) 12000 Aeroplan points, or around C $200 in gift cards for Canadian retailers.

So definitely find a way to generate $2000 in spend.

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 4, 2017 at 7:05 pm Reason: To add (not all merchants available from Canada)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Does your mail say what date its valid till?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Does your mail say what date its valid till?
yes, sorry, didn't think to include it because I figured the link would say it. But here it is:

"But hurry--this offer expires on August 31, 2017. Thank you for being a member of Best Western Rewards and we look forward to welcoming you again at one of our hotels very soon! "
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:11 am

Oh blah. I just signed up for the 40K offer not that long ago.

I don't know if I should try and sign up again right before the promo expires?

Last edited by DealAddict; Jun 26, 2017 at 4:25 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Can you get a 2nd BW card if you already have one?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:15 am

Yes you can. I did that last year.

The question for me now is whether I can get a 3rd BW Rewards card whilst holding 2.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by flyer05

The question for me now is whether I can get a 3rd BW Rewards card whilst holding 2.
Flyer, maybe better to say it was possible in the past, but maybe not as easy any more. See the datapoints in this and the MBNA Alaska Airlines MC thread. MBNA had once been one of the most easiest to do multiple concurrent churns, but in the past year they have been much more 'iffy'.

I had 3 Alaska cards at one time in the past, and the most recent time that I had 2 concurrent BWR cards was a year ago. But based on MBNA's clandestine actions during our recent card apps, I'm now proactively closing down my MBNA cards before re-applying for a new one.

If you try to get a concurrent MBNA card nowadays, it might still work, but I'd say it's a lot more YMMV these days. I'm sure I will be proven wrong with a recent datapoint, but would more than welcome the "stuff it" replies.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:26 am

JJJ, what you've said is definitely true regarding the Alaska cards. Those were being repeatedly exploited to no end, and we've all heard that MBNA is now enforcing the one-at-a-time rule for that card. I haven't heard any datapoints to suggest that this is true for the BW Card as well, though you're right that it's probably best practice to be more conservative than before when it comes to MBNA apps going forward.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:18 am

They declined me when I tried. I'm probably going to close the card I have before reapplying on the 31st of aug
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: *void
JJJ, what you've said is definitely true regarding the Alaska cards. Those were being repeatedly exploited to no end, and we've all heard that MBNA is now enforcing the one-at-a-time rule for that card. I haven't heard any datapoints to suggest that this is true for the BW Card as well, though you're right that it's probably best practice to be more conservative than before when it comes to MBNA apps going forward.
I thought I had posted our recent issues with MBNA BWR cards, but it may be mired in the swamp of this thread. On my most recent application for the BWR card, MBNA spent a week pondering what my fate would be. Then auto-closed my then-existing BWR card, and then approved the new one. My wife was not so lucky. They declined her and lowered her other MBNA card limits...all this was done without any notifications from MBNA.

I have ~20 MBNA cards in my bureau report, and wife has a dozen or more in hers. Maybe they are watching us 'burners' more closely than newer applicants and have flagged our accounts?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:26 am

BW hotel redemption starts at 8,000 points, so potentially you can redeem 7 nights for 56k points, which you can find plenty in Asia. That's one week worth of accommodation for free!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I thought I had posted our recent issues with MBNA BWR cards, but it may be mired in the swamp of this thread. On my most recent application for the BWR card, MBNA spent a week pondering what my fate would be. Then auto-closed my then-existing BWR card, and then approved the new one. My wife was not so lucky. They declined her and lowered her other MBNA card limits...all this was done without any notifications from MBNA.

I have ~20 MBNA cards in my bureau report, and wife has a dozen or more in hers. Maybe they are watching us 'burners' more closely than newer applicants and have flagged our accounts?

This is exactly what happened last year. Limit lowered, card closed. So I think this year I'm going to cancel one before reapplying
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by DealAddict
This is exactly what happened last year. Limit lowered, card closed. So I think this year I'm going to cancel one before reapplying
Given there is ~2 months until this deal is set to expire, is the BW a cancel and re-apply within a short timeframe card, not a wait 90+ days and re-apply situation?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:25 am

i cancelled about 2 months ago , signed up for card again , got message that they let me know in 10 to 15 days or call them , i went for 40000 pts with no spending limit ,dont use card alot ,so to me its a better deal than the offer for 60000 pts .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.