MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
10k per night Fall promo at BW is now up! Some hotels are not participating though (like the Stratosphere in Las Vegas). Glad I signed up for the 60k welcome bonus.
Only 10K BWR points for a room Nov. 1--Jan. 31!
This is friggin' sweet.

Credit to this post as well:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28848714-post12.html

Redeem 10,000 Best Western Rewards points for a free night
The free night is valid for stays taking place between November 1, 2017 and January 31, 2018 (Promotion is subject to cancellation or change without notice).

I booked 3 nights in downtown SFO, for 10,000 points per night.
The cash value of that room is US $929 per night (which is ridiculous, sure, but I'm delighted to get a room in SFO when a convention is on).
So, again, I'm using 30,000 BW points for a 3-night stay that would go for USD $2,787. And, BW covers the taxes, too.

The rate is non-cancellable, so I called BW to ask a few things. The CSR on the phone was surprised at the 10,000 point rate I was getting... not sure why, though.

Most hotels in most markets that I surveyed seemed to be at the 10,000 point rate.

This may be the best value-for-a-point deal I've ever gotten.
It's on par with 1200 Air Miles for a roundtrip flight to Churchill.

So, big debt of gratitude to zoqfotpik for pointing this out.^^^
heraclitus and Chris101 like this.

Last edited by jerry305; Oct 3, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I just received an e-mail from Best Western, advertising that their 60'000 signup promo is back! Awesome. I think their last "big" signup promo was 80k )or was it 60 as well? I dont trcall)but 60k for a no-fee card is great either way. Not sure if personalized but here's the details:

" • Get 20,000 bonus points†† after your first eligible purchase--that's already enough points for at least ONE FREE NIGHT**
• Spend $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get an additional 20,000 bonus points†† OR
• Spend $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get a total of 60,000 bonus points†"

T&C's say nothing preventin repeat signups, here's the link:
https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...9&locale=en_CA
This link (from back in the summer) appears to still work.
Anyone have experience trying this link again?

I cancelled my MBNA Best Western MC a few weeks ago.
I'm considering trying out for a second one... not sure if I should wait.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
This is friggin' sweet.

Credit to this post as well:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28848714-post12.html

Redeem 10,000 Best Western Rewards points for a free night
The free night is valid for stays taking place between November 1, 2017 and January 31, 2018 (Promotion is subject to cancellation or change without notice).

I booked 3 nights in downtown SFO, for 10,000 points per night.
The cash value of that room is US $929 per night (which is ridiculous, sure, but I'm delighted to get a room in SFO when a convention is on).
So, again, I'm using 30,000 BW points for a 3-night stay that would go for USD $2,787. And, BW covers the taxes, too.

The rate is non-cancellable, so I called BW to ask a few things. The CSR on the phone was surprised at the 10,000 point rate I was getting... not sure why, though.

Most hotels in most markets that I surveyed seemed to be at the 10,000 point rate.

This may be the best value-for-a-point deal I've ever gotten.
It's on par with 1200 Air Miles for a roundtrip flight to Churchill.

So, big debt of gratitude to zoqfotpik for pointing this out.^^^
The rate is cancellable (it says free cancellation under my reservation)? I cancelled one of the points reservations I made online. I booked SF as well. 4 nights in November. Great deal.

Although what are your dates / what's your hotel that the rates are so high?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DealAddict
The rate is cancellable (it says free cancellation under my reservation)? I cancelled one of the points reservations I made online. I booked SF as well. 4 nights in November. Great deal.

Although what are your dates / what's your hotel that the rates are so high?
My rate is non-cancellable. Dunno why. Hotel probably has the same policy for cash and for non-cash rates at that time.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:48 am

Question

My rate is non-cancellable. Dunno why. Hotel probably has the same policy for cash and for non-cash rates at that time.
That's weird. So when you check your reservation online, there is no cancel button?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:42 pm

Oh that IS sweet!!! I thought my $500 a night for 30k points redemption I did in NYC was a sweet deal....yours is phenomenal! This is what points redemption is all about!

Last edited by pokee; Oct 6, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:22 pm

This 10K Best Western promo couldn't have come at a better time! Getting free 60K after spending $2K and now can look forward to using them in the next couple of months!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DealAddict
That's weird. So when you check your reservation online, there is no cancel button?

The reservation says non-cancellable.
At this point, I plan to keep the reservation.

If I review the reservation, there's a big CANCEL button. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.

Yes, most times cancelling a reservation online is a 2-step process, so I could hit the CANCEL button and hope there is a second stage to cancellation.
But I don't want to (literally) press my luck to find out if the button works.

Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Best card for a hotel purchase?

Next month, I'll be paying for a hotel banquet function at a hotel on a credit card.
The hotel is not affiliated with a large chain.

In terms of points/rewards, what's the best card to use?
I'm thinking my legacy MBNA card, 2 cents per dollar, or
Amex Gold Personal: 2 MR per dollar spend.

Am I missing something out there with a better return on hotel spend?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:11 pm

Best card for a hotel purchase?

Next month, I'll be paying for a hotel banquet function at a hotel on a credit card.
The hotel is not affiliated with a large chain.

In terms of points/rewards, what's the best card to use?
I'm thinking my legacy MBNA card, 2 cents per dollar, or
Amex Gold Personal: 2 MR per dollar spend.

Am I missing something out there with a better return on hotel spend?
I'd go Amex Personal. Can you split the bill? Maybe get a few cards that have big sign-up bonuses but only after big minimum spend thresholds , like the Amex Biz gold.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:20 am

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post my query...

The first VISA credit card I've had was an Aeroplan one. If I cancel the Aeroplan VISA and get another Visa card, will that maintain my long term credit history with VISA?

I've been told that one should always keep the oldest product as it helps to maintain a better credit rating.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by znke252
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post my query...

The first VISA credit card I've had was an Aeroplan one. If I cancel the Aeroplan VISA and get another Visa card, will that maintain my long term credit history with VISA?

I've been told that one should always keep the oldest product as it helps to maintain a better credit rating.
Your "credit history" isn't with VISA, it's with the specific card you have at your specific bank. You can ask the bank to "convert" your Aeroplan Visa into a different card which might keep the history going, but no guarantees.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:18 am

I notice that the 60K promo is still up, although the expiration says Aug 31. Any one got one recently?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Looking for a suggestion. I currently have the RBC Visa Infinite Privilege card and it is up for renewal October 16. I accepted their offer a year ago because they offered 25,000 points. Now that it is up for renewal for $399 a year, I don't think it is worth it. Is there similar card that offers 1.25x points per dollar spend?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by loun80
Looking for a suggestion. I currently have the RBC Visa Infinite Privilege card and it is up for renewal October 16. I accepted their offer a year ago because they offered 25,000 points. Now that it is up for renewal for $399 a year, I don't think it is worth it. Is there similar card that offers 1.25x points per dollar spend?
it really depends on what you plan to use the points for. Off the top of my head:

Amex Biz Plat - $399 fee but you'll get 75k welcome bonus via referral and earn 1.25x transferable to Aeroplan and BA Avios.

Amex Personal Plat - $299 (2 x $200 travel credit if you only keep 1 yr) i believe sign up bonus is 60k via referral and again earn 1.25 transferable to AP and Avios

SPG AMEX - $120 25K sign up bonus and you get a plethora of airline transfer options and you get the extra 25% when you convert 20k pts

AMEX Cobalt - the new comer $120 ($10 a month) if you spend in the dining/groceries category you get 5x the pts transferable to SPG at 2:1 so it's like earn 2.5 spg pts in that category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.