MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by loun80
Looking for a suggestion. I currently have the RBC Visa Infinite Privilege card and it is up for renewal October 16. I accepted their offer a year ago because they offered 25,000 points. Now that it is up for renewal for $399 a year, I don't think it is worth it. Is there similar card that offers 1.25x points per dollar spend?
It's tough to find a high rate of reward on spend for Visa or a MasterCard. It'll depend on your total spend vs. the annual fee, and whether you want to use Amex for some spend.

Two that you could consider:
Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World Elite Mastercard®
mbna Rewards World Elite Mastercard

Last edited by jerry305; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:14 am

I've recently moved to Canada and I am wondering if there are any credit cards issued by Scotiabank you can recommend? I am mostly interested in redeeming points for flights. I heard they have a travel agency where you can redeem points collected with their cards? is that similar to the RBC one (I have an Avion Visa Infinite cc from them). What's your thoughts on the Scotia AMEX?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by stan64
I've recently moved to Canada and I am wondering if there are any credit cards issued by Scotiabank you can recommend? I am mostly interested in redeeming points for flights. I heard they have a travel agency where you can redeem points collected with their cards? is that similar to the RBC one (I have an Avion Visa Infinite cc from them). What's your thoughts on the Scotia AMEX?
Certainly do the Scotiabank Amex (first year free).

Scotiabank Amex
30,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points, with your first $750 in everyday purchases in first three months. Plus, first year annual fee waiver.

Yes, you could redeem your rewards points through the travel agency, but that can be a hassle. Easier to redeem your points on travel-eligible spending instead.

Last edited by jerry305; Oct 12, 2017 at 11:04 am Reason: Removed the link, which had gone to Scotiabank's standard website.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by stan64
I've taken advantage of the Scotiabank Gold American Express .I applied thru GCR to get a $50 cash rebate. The deal is:
30,000 Scotia Rewards bonus points, with your first $750 in everyday purchases in first three months. Plus, first year annual fee waiver.

I think the points,for travel are worth between $250-$300.You can use their travel service or book the travel yourself and within 12 months of the travel charge,redeem pounts for a statement credit.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:09 am

MBNA BW Points Posting Question

Two weeks ago, I noticed that my 20,000 bonus + $1000 purchases hadn't been transferred to my BW Account.

I called in to inquire about it only to discover that they didn't have my BW# (even though I provided it on the app...grrr).

They updated it on the phone with me. They told me all my missing points would appear on my BW account within 5 business days, along with my additional 20,000 bonus for making $1000 purchase within 90 days (so ~41,000 points). Two weeks later, none of those points are there.

I'm wondering if the guy on the phone was mistaken, and all those points will not show up until my next statement is generated (as it seems that this is when they do the 'transfer')? Anyone have experience with missing points and how long it takes for them to show up after things are cleared up?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Two weeks ago, I noticed that my 20,000 bonus + $1000 purchases hadn't been transferred to my BW Account.

I called in to inquire about it only to discover that they didn't have my BW# (even though I provided it on the app...grrr).

They updated it on the phone with me. They told me all my missing points would appear on my BW account within 5 business days, along with my additional 20,000 bonus for making $1000 purchase within 90 days (so ~41,000 points). Two weeks later, none of those points are there.

I'm wondering if the guy on the phone was mistaken, and all those points will not show up until my next statement is generated (as it seems that this is when they do the 'transfer')? Anyone have experience with missing points and how long it takes for them to show up after things are cleared up?
I signed up for the 60k bonus so mine could be a bit different. I also have to call in to add my BW#. I received the 20k bonus after my first spend on the next statement but the 40k took a while. I inquired about the remaining bonus and was informed that it will be posted at the end of the 90 days (in fairness the application says it may take 150 days to post). 2-3 days later, I received the points in my account.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
For my BW. it took months before they showed up. Lots of calling back and forth and both sides passing the buck over and over again. Not sure what triggered the eventual transfer but it was a huge headache
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: *void

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I signed up for the 60k bonus so mine could be a bit different. I also have to call in to add my BW#. I received the 20k bonus after my first spend on the next statement but the 40k took a while. I inquired about the remaining bonus and was informed that it will be posted at the end of the 90 days (in fairness the application says it may take 150 days to post). 2-3 days later, I received the points in my account.
Originally Posted by teriyaki
For my BW. it took months before they showed up. Lots of calling back and forth and both sides passing the buck over and over again. Not sure what triggered the eventual transfer but it was a huge headache
Assuming we're all on the same page here, discussing the recent (current still?) MBNA BWR MC 60K promo, the initial 20K will appear on the first statement provided you've made a purchase with the MC. The additonal 20K after $1K and the 20K after another $1K, will both appear after 3 months from date of approval, no need to look before then. These final 40K will post at MBNA site first, and then will appear on your following statement thereafter, and within 2 days they should then be in your BestWestern account. This is, of course, assuming you don't have a mixuup on linking to your existing BW membership account (sorry to hear it wasn't for you, pokee).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry305
It's tough to find a high rate of reward on spend for Visa or a MasterCard. It'll depend on your total spend vs. the annual fee, and whether you want to use Amex for some spend.

Two that you could consider:
Capital One® Aspire Travel™ World Elite Mastercard®
mbna Rewards World Elite Mastercard
Just an update. RBC offered me a $150 annual fee rebate on my RBC Visa Infinite Privilege card so I kept the card.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Assuming we're all on the same page here, discussing the recent (current still?) MBNA BWR MC 60K promo, the initial 20K will appear on the first statement provided you've made a purchase with the MC. The additonal 20K after $1K and the 20K after another $1K, will both appear after 3 months from date of approval, no need to look before then. These final 40K will post at MBNA site first, and then will appear on your following statement thereafter, and within 2 days they should then be in your BestWestern account. This is, of course, assuming you don't have a mixuup on linking to your existing BW membership account (sorry to hear it wasn't for you, pokee).
Yeah, and this mixup is preventing ANY points from posting, and I'd like to book some 10K room awards for next month. I hope it gets sorted out soon! They guy on the phone said the first 20K (that appeared on my statement, but didn't make it to my BW account because of the linking to existing account) should make it over within 5 business days - and it's been double that now. Guess I need to call again..........ugh....
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:52 am

Yeah, and this mixup is preventing ANY points from posting, and I'd like to book some 10K room awards for next month. I hope it gets sorted out soon! They guy on the phone said the first 20K (that appeared on my statement, but didn't make it to my BW account because of the linking to existing account) should make it over within 5 business days - and it's been double that now. Guess I need to call again..........ugh....
Here's my fun update on this whole situation:

I call again to see where my points are - and get a COMPLETELY different story from Rep#2. He says, "You have to wait until your next statement for the points to transfer". Then I say, "Well, no - because my next statement won't have the points that were transferred into the black hole 3 months ago" and he then says, "Well, then you'll have to call Best Western Rewards". Then I reply, "Umm, and say what? Where's my points? They'll just tell me to call you back because you need to inform them what is going on".

The Rep then got extremely argumentative, so I cut it off and asked to speak to a supervisor. Then he goes, "Why? What can they help you with that I am not helping you with?". So then I go into the big song and dance about getting conflicting information, and needing someone to take control of the situation and settle it once and for all. He starts getting super condescending and is still arguing that I don't need to speak to a rep. So I said loudly and firmly, "Please transfer me to a supervisor" and he goes, "Stop shrieking into my ear!" and I sigh and go, "Look, you're being insulting, uncooperative and condescending. Get me to a supervisor, please". He goes, "How am I being condescending?" and I go, "You are because I said so - now transfer me to a supervisor" and he FINALLY does. After close to 10 mins of back and forth.

It then takes 2 mins with a supervisor to clear things up. They will contact BW and get all the points sorted out - she agreed that me calling BW would do nothing (why is it that customers always know this and the Reps don't?). Then she gives me 2500 points for all my hassles. Then she gives me her name and direct line.

Always pays to speak with the supervisor!!! Let's hope it's all sorted out by my 4th statement next week!
heraclitus likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Question about HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

In the details on the HSBC site, it states that you get 3 points per $1 spent. I am able to log in to the HSBC rewards site with my existing HSBC credit card and can confirm that Asia Miles (10:8), KrisFlyer (10:9) and Avios (1:1) are transfer partners. Wouldn't the 3 points per dollar be a really good reward? 3 points per 1 dollar!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:36 pm

Let's hope it's all sorted out by my 4th statement next week!
I am in the same situation. Did not receive the first statements points in my BWA but the subsequent statements' earned points plus 40000 bonus was transferred 1 day after cycle ended. After each statement I called and each time they said they will write a note and sort it out. Not to date>
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:46 am

In the details on the HSBC site, it states that you get 3 points per $1 spent. I am able to log in to the HSBC rewards site with my existing HSBC credit card and can confirm that Asia Miles (10:8), KrisFlyer (10:9) and Avios (1:1) are transfer partners. Wouldn't the 3 points per dollar be a really good reward? 3 points per 1 dollar!
That seems way too generous. Are you certain the points earned on the HSBC Premier WE are the same as your current HSBC rewards points?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Based on what I read on Canadian Kilometers, the BA Avios transfer rate was supposed to work out to 1:1.2 (25,000 HSBC points = 10,000 Avios)

I'd gladly pay the $150 AF if 25,000 HSBC points = 25,000 Avios when you can earn 3 HSBC points per dollar!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.