MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Chase is discontinuing all cards in Canada, including the Amazon and Marriott Visa.
All cardholder accounts will be closed March 15, 2018.
Marriott Visa cardholders can expect a new, sweetened offer from Amex for an SPG card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-card-83.html

The Marriott Visa is (was) a popular no-foreign-exchange-fee card.
If you're in the market for no-foreign-exchange-fee cards, there's some discussion of other cards on page 78 of the Marriott Visa thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...a-card-78.html
I wonder what this 'sweetened' offer will be? It better be something that's an improvement over the 'regular' SPG bonus! AND...what if we've already held the SPG Amex, will we still be eligible for this 'sweet' offer?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:12 pm

Does the MBNA Best Western 60K offer work?

I applied recently with a 60k application link. I got 20k after first charge, after reaching 1k spend I did not get the next 20k. Might it post on a few days? Should I contact MBNA costumer service? Or, is this a lost case?

Thanks In Advance
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by joseph789
Does the MBNA Best Western 60K offer work?

I applied recently with a 60k application link. I got 20k after first charge, after reaching 1k spend I did not get the next 20k. Might it post on a few days? Should I contact MBNA costumer service? Or, is this a lost case?

Thanks In Advance

Usually takes a few days after the points post after your statement is produced. But usually no longer than that.
Since you know that they recorded the account number correctly (since you got the first 20k points), then if you have a statement in hand showing $1k in total spend so far, then yes, it's worth a call.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:49 pm

Thanks Jerry305, for responding to my question. The $1k spend missed the statement, so those points will definitely not show on the BW site. However, I am able to see on MBNA's site my points balance (above 21k, meaning they posted points for over 1k spend), and even there it did not post the second 20k.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joseph789
Thanks Jerry305, for responding to my question. The $1k spend missed the statement, so those points will definitely not show on the BW site. However, I am able to see on MBNA's site my points balance (above 21k, meaning they posted points for over 1k spend), and even there it did not post the second 20k.
Sounds right.

Your first 20k should show at first transaction.
Your next 20k, and the additional 20k, will not be triggered until the next statement date... and it's possible to earn them both on the same statement.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:50 pm

Sounds right.

Your first 20k should show at first transaction.
Your next 20k, and the additional 20k, will not be triggered until the next statement date... and it's possible to earn them both on the same statement.
​​​​​​​That's helpful info. Thank you!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Looking for advice: Since Chase is discontinuing the 0% FOREX fee Amazon.ca Visa, any suggestions for a replacement card? I've been hunting far and wide, but it seems we Canadians are SOL when it comes to a card that doesn't tack on the 2.5% FOREX fee, other than that one.
(I already know about the HomeTrust Visa, but unfortunately it's not available to me as I live in Quebec. And the Rogers cards aren't a good deal for me, since my cell phone is with Telus/Koodo.)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by segacs
And the Rogers cards aren't a good deal for me, since my cell phone is with Telus/Koodo.)
The fine print of the Rogers/Fido cards say you can apply the credit to your account balance each December (if you notify them), so it isn't restricted to applying against Rogers products.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by segacs
Looking for advice: Since Chase is discontinuing the 0% FOREX fee Amazon.ca Visa, any suggestions for a replacement card? I've been hunting far and wide, but it seems we Canadians are SOL when it comes to a card that doesn't tack on the 2.5% FOREX fee, other than that one.
(I already know about the HomeTrust Visa, but unfortunately it's not available to me as I live in Quebec. And the Rogers cards aren't a good deal for me, since my cell phone is with Telus/Koodo.)
I thought about getting a Rogers or Fido card, but when I read the Terms of Service, they clearly say they DO add a 2.5% ForEx fee:

From the "Disclosure Summary for Rogers Platinum Mastercard"
All transactions made in a foreign currency are converted to Canadian dollars at the rate established by Mastercard International in effect on the date that we post the transaction to your Account (which may not be the same date as the date of the transaction) plus an amount equal to 2.5% of the transaction amount after it has been converted to Canadian dollars.

From the "Disclosure Summary for Fido Mastercard":
All transactions made in a foreign currency are converted to Canadian dollars at the rate established by Mastercard International in effect on the date that we post the transaction to your Account (which may not be the same date as the date of the transaction) plus an amount equal to 2.5% of the transaction amount after it has been converted to Canadian dollars.

Maybe they used to have no ForEx fee, but they clearly do now.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
I thought about getting a Rogers or Fido card, but when I read the Terms of Service, they clearly say they DO add a 2.5% ForEx fee:

From the "Disclosure Summary for Rogers Platinum Mastercard"

From the "Disclosure Summary for Fido Mastercard":

Maybe they used to have no ForEx fee, but they clearly do now.
You do pay a 2.5% foreign exchange fee, but you get 4% rewards back.

Discussion from page 230 of this forum:
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:57 am

You do pay a 2.5% foreign exchange fee, but you get 4% rewards back.

Discussion from page 230 of this forum:
Ahhh.......They're not ForEx free, they just have a better incentive.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

There's a new batch of PointBreaks hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inn hotels, for now till April 30, 2018.

PointBreaks are reward stays available starting at 5,000 points.
They also include offers for 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points... I'd consider 10,000 or 15,000 as "not bad", but 5,000 can be a great deal.

If you don't have points, you can purchase 5,000 points for US $67.50 from the IHG website. (Higher quantities get slightly cheaper.)

Better yet, (I believe) there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points (2 nights' worth) for US $70. This workaround is discussed in other threads. PM me if you have questions.

Other methods are discussed starting on page 262 of this thread.
EDIT. REVISED TO:
Other methods are discussed starting around post 3925 of this thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28224184-post3925.html

Full list of PointBreaks hotels in Canada, US & overseas:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/cont...OG-NEW-PREVIEW

Hotels in Canada available for
5,000 points:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Saskatchewan
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Edmonton Arpt - Conference Ctr

for 10,000:
Candlewood Suites Calgary Airport North
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton-International Airport

for 15,000:
Holiday Inn Calgary-Macleod Trail South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary South-Macleod Trail S
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Regina

Last edited by jerry305; Feb 4, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Other methods are discussed starting on page 262 of this thread.
This thread only has 113 pages...
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

I think it depends how many posts per page you have set.

For me, there are 903 pages in this thread.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kalderlake
I think it depends how many posts per page you have set.

For me, there are 903 pages in this thread.
which is why it's best to mention the post number which is found in the upper right of each post. those numbers don't change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.