Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerry305
Got it.
Thanks for updating the wiki, JJonahJ.
Yeah, kind of sad to see it go.

I still have one more welcome Cat1-4 eCert that I couldn't find a use for, so I was able to call Marriott to extend it another year. I'd been reading recently that others have been told NO to the extension of these eCerts, so I guess I was one of the lucky ones (kudos and thanks to suggestions from NotJustDreaming).

I can't see myself keeping the card for another year though. The $120 annual fee would pay for itself with the anniversary Cat 5 eCert for those who can use this, but we also struggled to use these effectively during the past few years, and had to extend them as well. Plus, who knows if they will continue to issue these anniversary eCerts. I know it's a benefit listed in the terms, but maybe Chase will just chisel it out of there, like the way they appear to be clearing a path to make their way (slink away) out of Canada.

Amex appears to be making moves to drop their Aeroplan affiliation (see announced changes coming Sep 27?). And with their current somewhat-surprising enhanced 25K welcome offer on the Amex SPG cards (till Oct 18), I wonder if they are culling in the cattle now, and then will herd them over to a new Amex Marriott offering, dropping SPG altogether, or a hybrid card (is that even possible)? Remember when CIBC and Aimia were discussing their future relationship in 2013? CIBC ran their FYF promos on the Aeroplan cards to bring in as many new clients as they could, and then sold them in 2014 to the new player in the game, TD. Similarly, it seems like Amex is swelling the SPG card client numbers using this 25K promo for some ulterior motive too.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by thyeri
What about the other Chase Canada cards (with no FX fee)?
Originally Posted by msp3
There's always that featureless amazon.ca card...
The other Chase card in Canada is the Amazon.ca Visa (no FX fees). New applications for it got shuttered earlier this year as well, in April 2017.

At least it earns SOMETHING (1% / 2% at Amazon.ca) while saving the 2.5% FX fees. I like the instant $20 statement credits once you reach 2K points accumulated.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:58 pm

I have a category 1-4 e-certificate from signing up for the this card last year. Has anyone been able to book a higher category 5 room, and then ask a rep to apply the certificate and add 5000 points to get it booked?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Application form is still accessible through Google Cache, try this link: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

If you check the source code or use "inspect element", you can see the different offer codes available.

Who's gonna apply ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 6, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
The other Chase card in Canada is the Amazon.ca Visa (no FX fees). New applications for it got shuttered earlier this year as well, in April 2017.

At least it earns SOMETHING (1% / 2% at Amazon.ca) while saving the 2.5% FX fees. I like the instant $20 statement credits once you reach 2K points accumulated.
​​​​​​
I didn't know that. So there are no more cards in Canada with no FX fees??
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thyeri
​​​​​​
I didn't know that. So there are no more cards in Canada with no FX fees??
No
You have the Rogers/Fido card which offset the FX fees by giving a higher cash back but that's all.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:35 pm

Any indication how much longer we'll get to enjoy our Chase cards? I have both the Marriott and the Amazon cards, and love both.....
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
No
You have the Rogers/Fido card which offset the FX fees by giving a higher cash back but that's all.
I believe there's an HSBC card now that is also no FX fees, but has an annual fee. You can find it here

Edit: And for no annual fee, Home Trust preferred visa. Landing page here and disclosure shows the 0% foreign transaction here

Last edited by viracocha; Sep 7, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:41 pm

The HSBC one has a $50 rebate if you are premier, and a $100 annual travel credit. Some could make it work
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305
Thanks!
I also tried it from a different browser; I think that was necessary.
I received the dreaded...
Thank you for applying for a Marriott Rewards® Visa®.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with a decision on your application at this time, as it requires further review.
You will receive notification of the status of your application within ten (10) business days.
Should you require further information, please call 1-888-296-9882 and quote reference number ___.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Please let us know if you get approved!

I'm one the fence regarding cancelling this card and reapplying in 6 months. One one hand I want to cancel in order to reapply in 6 months and get another 50,000 Marriott Rewards points, but on the other hand I am afraid that Chase will discontinue this card within the next 6 months and I don't want to lose this account because of the no-FX fee feature and the annual hotel certificate which compensates for the annual fee.
The good news: I got my card today!!! Score!!!
The bad news: I dunno if this information is helpful any more.

Curiously, my credit limit is only $1,000.
Which, frankly, is perfect for me.
But I'm surprised to see a card issued with that low a limit.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pokee
Any indication how much longer we'll get to enjoy our Chase cards?
I never use my Amazon card any more, but I'd hate to lose it because it was my first Canadian card, so it would damage my credit rating if they took it away.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I never use my Amazon card any more, but I'd hate to lose it because it was my first Canadian card, so it would damage my credit rating if they took it away.
They stopped accepting new applications for the Chase Amazon.ca Visa back in April, and it's still operational today, 6 months later. But for how long?

I did call Chase about the Marriott card and asked the front line rep what's up, and after she put me on hold she just gave me the regular "it's business as usual for now", and did not offer any insight on how long they would keep the card going, but said "IF we do discontinue the card, BUT NOT saying we will, but IF we do discontinue the card we will give you at least 30 days notice". Whoopie Doo.

People are chattering about keeping the Marriott card, paying the annual fee to get the anniversary e-cert and keeping the card for the non-FX feature. I'd hate to then see Chase pull the card off the scene 2 months after I paid my AF.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Sep 8, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:03 am

I don't remember how much heads up I was given when Chase closed all Bestbuy visa cards, but I think it was well beyond thirty days
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
I don't remember how much heads up I was given when Chase closed all Bestbuy visa cards, but I think it was well beyond thirty days
Kudos to you, CRIMSONA. The FIRST person (I recall) in April who correctly predicted Chase would stop/cancel the Marriott Visa, back when the Amazon.ca Visa stopped accepting new applications.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
I've been approved in two seconds online on August 24, using the French link. No news since then.
So I got the card today, with an ambitious credit limit of 19000$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.