MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
PAP's? Who has a lot of those that are credit cardable. IE utilities. I guess you could pay monthly on car insurance but it's cheaper to do a single payment anyway.

My worry is the 2% Capone and MBNA are dead cards walking. THAT WOULD HURT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll add to that my grandfathered 1.5%Capone World Elite, 0$ annual fee :/
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
I wouldn't worry about that. In order to become a MasterCard acquirer, they had to prove that there is pretty much 0 chance they ever do bankruptcy (if they ever do, it's because there's a major financial crash that affects multiple financial institutions at the same time).

What pisses me off again ..... is that it's not available to Quebec residents. like all the good cards
A new card issuer going bankrupt isn't exactly on my radar...I am more concerned with lack of proper customer service and established/tested online account access. There's nothing worse than trying to deal with issues when you cannot reach someone to help, or when they are new staff that aren't skilled/experienced in dealing with issues. I'll stick with Amex, thanks very much.........
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
A new card issuer going bankrupt isn't exactly on my radar...I am more concerned with lack of proper customer service and established/tested online account access. There's nothing worse than trying to deal with issues when you cannot reach someone to help, or when they are new staff that aren't skilled/experienced in dealing with issues. I'll stick with Amex, thanks very much.........
Yeah, but you're comparing oranges to apples now. Of course AMEX is superior, but much more expensive (but very good for churning though ).

I see Brim as an excellent competitor to the Fido card, now that the Amazon card and the Marriott cards are gone.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emilio911
Of course AMEX is superior
Debatable.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
In customer service? I've had nothing but excellence from all of their reps. Anecdotal evidence of course, but would probably rank them tops among all interactions with a call centre in any industry.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Hey guys,

I got tired of not being able to tell which credit cards had the best sign-up bonus without having to search across multiple sources so I created a Google Sheet with all the information you need as a Canadian to make an informed decision. The sheet includes the sign-up bonus, minimum spend, days to meet the spend, annual fee, if first year is free, and other pertinent information.

The best thing about the sheet is that you are able to multi-soft meaning if you want to find a card that offers Aeroplan, is First Year Free, has the lowest minimum spend requirement, and is a Visa ... you can find that by sorting across multiple columns.

As I intend on keeping this list updated, I have locked it down so it is read-only. As a result, you will need to go to Data --> Filter views --> Create new temporary filter view. This will enable filtering.

Another very powerful column is CPM (cents per mile) or the cost to obtain the sign-up bonus. The lower the CPM, the better the value.

You can find the table at http://www.pointsnerd.ca/credit-card-table
jerry305 likes this.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Feb 20, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: blogspam removed
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Looking for some historical insight regarding Aeroplan co-branded cards. I intend to apply for an aeroplan card with travel insurance in the next few months before booking a mini-RTW. I will charge the taxes to the card to be covered for trip interruption, flight and/or baggage delays. This is for a trip that is scheduled to last a few months so medical insurance from the card will not apply for the whole duration.

I may have difficulties satisfying the Visa Infinite income requirements (though I have been approved for BMO WE and MBNA WE), so I am at least looking at the TD Platinum Visa which has decent coverage.

From what I recall, the TD Platinum Aeroplan never had the annual fee waived, so it would be my go-to card unless a better offer comes up on a Visa Infinite card.
Does anyone remember when was the last time TD had a FYF offer on aeroplan cards (I believe they were on during spring last year)?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Looking for some historical insight regarding Aeroplan co-branded cards. I intend to apply for an aeroplan card with travel insurance in the next few months before booking a mini-RTW. I will charge the taxes to the card to be covered for trip interruption, flight and/or baggage delays. This is for a trip that is scheduled to last a few months so medical insurance from the card will not apply for the whole duration.

I may have difficulties satisfying the Visa Infinite income requirements (though I have been approved for BMO WE and MBNA WE), so I am at least looking at the TD Platinum Visa which has decent coverage.

From what I recall, the TD Platinum Aeroplan never had the annual fee waived, so it would be my go-to card unless a better offer comes up on a Visa Infinite card.
Does anyone remember when was the last time TD had a FYF offer on aeroplan cards (I believe they were on during spring last year)?
I don't know enough to answer your question about fee waivers, but I'd point out that most credit card medical insurance programs have a clause whereby if you are away for longer than the maximum coverage period, then none of your trip is covered for medical occurrences. This is different from what you suggest above, so please double check the fine print. It would suck to think you're covered and then not be due to such a technicality.
jerry305 and Hyacinthe like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:24 pm

RBC Avion visa first year free + 25k points

Just updated WiKi with new RBC Avion Visa 25K point + No annual fee for the first year!

•
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Just updated WiKi with new RBC Avion Visa 25K point + No annual fee for the first year!

•
Get 25,000 Welcome Points Upon Approval? plus get the 1st year annual fee waived? - RBC Royal Bank
"Apply Now" leads to old page with 15K only, so maybe it's not updated yet
Special Offer: Sign up now for 15,000 bonus RBC RewardsŪ points1
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Get 25,000 Welcome Points Upon Approval? plus get the 1st year annual fee waived? - RBC Royal Bank
Thanks for pointing this out.
As of right now, for me at least, this link does direct me to the 25,000 point bonus.
So to anyone trying the link, yes, be sure you're getting a 25,000 offer.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
The link is 25K... maybe clear your cache?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:39 pm

How much does it cost to transfer Avion points to partner airlines? (ie AA, CX, etc)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

Merci beaucoup!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:15 pm

AMEX Business Platinum Card Changes

Just got a letter in the mail stating they are increasing annual fee from $399 to $499 but also introducing complimentary Priority Pass lounge visits for card holder and a guest (similar to Personal Platinum) which is a $99 USD annual value and each visit being complimentary is a $27 USD value person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.