MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jubberly
Marriott rewards and SPG rewards accounts can now be linked and points transferred between the accounts!
Awesome. Just linked my accounts.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Awesome. Just linked my accounts.
and ? what happened ??
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
and ? what happened ??
Not a whole lot.
But it does give you the ability to transfer points between programs. I am flush with MR and the ability to book SPG properties is great. And also to transfer these points to SPG opens up their transfer partners, along with the transfer bonus. Plus an instant status match bump if you hold a higher status in one of the two, in my case, a nice bump in SPG status.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:59 am

Not a whole lot.
But it does give you the ability to transfer points between programs. I am flush with MR and the ability to book SPG properties is great. And also to transfer these points to SPG opens up their transfer partners, along with the transfer bonus. Plus an instant status match bump if you hold a higher status in one of the two, in my case, a nice bump in SPG status.
^^^
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
and ? what happened ??
It matches your status… I'm SPG Gold through my Amex Platinum and was matched to Marriott Gold.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:47 am

I guess there's no harm in linking for status, but the transfer ratio seems bad...can you get a 15,000 SPG redemption that is equivalent to a 45,000 point Marriott redemption?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:47 am

Woo Hoo! I can transfer 30,000 SPG points to get 90,000 Marriott points.After I get 50,000 enrolment points from a new application for the MR credit card,I'll have 140,000 points....enough for 5 nights at the Courtyard Waikiki,Hawai(would cost approx CAD$ 1200 ) !!!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Woo Hoo! I can transfer 30,000 SPG points to get 90,000 Marriott points.After I get 50,000 enrolment points from a new application for the MR credit card,I'll have 140,000 points....enough for 5 nights at the Courtyard Waikiki,Hawai(would cost approx CAD$ 1200 ) !!!
Yes...this seems to be the big points transfer benefit if you're a marriott fan!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pokee
... the transfer ratio seems bad...can you get a 15,000 SPG redemption that is equivalent to a 45,000 point Marriott redemption?
It depends on where you're traveling and what hotels are available. It's also a great way to get around the 2:1 transfer ratio to United.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I guess there's no harm in linking for status, but the transfer ratio seems bad...can you get a 15,000 SPG redemption that is equivalent to a 45,000 point Marriott redemption?
The transfer ratio is amazing for SPG members on the high end, and ok to decent for Marriott members on the low end. Category 1 and 2 SPG with weekend discounts are really cheap in Marriott terms, and category 9 Marriott and tier 5 Ritz render most of SPG category 6 and 7 overpriced. Hawaii being a prime example
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:29 am

And in terms of earning, you can only get one SPG Amex (in each country, if you're eligible ), but Marriott cards in Canada are seemingly (for now) infinite. Opens up a whole new way to collect a ton of SPG.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And in terms of earning, you can only get one SPG Amex (in each country, if you're eligible )
You can get both Personal and Business cards, at least in the U.S.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:29 pm

And in terms of earning, you can only get one SPG Amex (in each country, if you're eligible ), but Marriott cards in Canada are seemingly (for now) infinite. Opens up a whole new way to collect a ton of SPG.
I have had both AMEX Canada SPG Personal AND Business together concurrently
It's fine

note that AMEX.ca only allows 2 CREDIT cards at once - SPG, Air Miles, SimplyCash. so SPG Personal+Biz would reach the limit already
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You can get both Personal and Business cards, at least in the U.S.
Right. I was just thinking personal as not everyone knows how to/is comfortable with getting a biz card if they don't actually have a business. But the point I was really making is that Amex is one-and-done for cc bonii but Marriott cc in Canada in infinitely churnable as of now, thus opening up a very nice new earning opportunity for SPG points.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:42 am

Right. I was just thinking personal as not everyone knows how to/is comfortable with getting a biz card if they don't actually have a business. But the point I was really making is that Amex is one-and-done for cc bonii but Marriott cc in Canada in infinitely churnable as of now, thus opening up a very nice new earning opportunity for SPG points.
Infintely churnable is a bit of a stretch no? Older reports I recall made Chase sound a bit more tight on time between cards. Has that changed?

In any case I'm lining up for my next Chase Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.