MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by loun80
This promo just came back today.

Scotiabank Gold American Express Card: Earn 20,000 bonus points after $750 minimum spend. Plus, first year annual fee waiver

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html
I like it.
• 20,000 points = $200 in travel expenses. It's great that you don't have to use their agency: easy redemption opportunities.
• The Priority Pass lounge access is really nice. EDIT: At the time of writing this post, the site didn't mention usage fees.
• The minimum spend requirement isn't onerous.
• Some will say that it's not the same bonus as has been offered before. (But there's not much point in worrying about offer amounts changing over time. Whatareyougonnadoaboutit?).

Last edited by jerry305; Nov 3, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by loun80
This promo just came back today.

Scotiabank Gold American Express Card: Earn 20,000 bonus points after $750 minimum spend. Plus, first year annual fee waiver

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html
Looks fantastic, but how does one redeem the points? How to you get $200 worth of...something, out of them?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jerry305
The Priority Pass lounge access is really nice.
Not really. You still have to pay the US$65 annual fee and US$27 per visit per person.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:59 pm

CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege is back offering a 50k sign-up bonus. That's the good news. I have the TD version of the card and basically want to play ping pong between the two each year to get points plus zone 2 boarding. Those two features make it worth the $399 annual fee.

However, there's a catch with this new T&C:
1 You are eligible for this offer only if you apply and are approved for your first CIBC credit card. If you are a current or former CIBC cardholder, we may approve your application but you will not be eligible for the offer.

That's new to me. Once in a lifetime bonus on a CIBC card. And not just that, sounds like if you've had any CIBC card (which I have) you won't be eligible. That really sucks.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:36 pm

With the Priority Pass from BMO Master Card, there is no annual fee for the pass, and you get 2 free lounge accesses per year.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:04 pm

anyone have tried switch RBC card? is it possible switch from BA to Avion card with no credit check and get 15K bonus points?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
anyone have tried switch RBC card? is it possible switch from BA to Avion card with no credit check and get 15K bonus points?
Well, i don't have the answer to your specific situation what I've been able to do in the past was 1) get the Avion card pick up 15k points + pay the fee; 2) switch to the no fee RBC rewards card; 3) 4 months later switch back to the Avion card pick up 15k points + pay the fee.

So yes, you can do product switches. However, I tried to repeat the process above a third time (i.e. get my third Avion card) and was shut down. They said I could get it, but no points. Also, I don't know if you can go from a premium card to another premium card, though I don't see why not.

This is a case where calling in is not a bad idea.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Posted where ? Credit card statement or Best Western account?
Best Western account.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
What a bunch of bull, its always like that and some of us are seeing the points at MNBA and they say that the points were transferred at the statement date, yet not posted to BW account by BW. Keeping the card and not using it makes no economic sense to BW. I am sure that by jerking us around the card will be even more inactive. The card's T&C already mentions 6 months to keep the card otherwise the points maybe rolled-back. The manager knows DA.
They won't be rolled back once they are in the BW account, since they no longer belong to MBNA
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Visa is offering $10 credit for every $50 purchase at grocery stores in Manitoba.
Offer ends November 30, 2016.

http://visa.ca/Manitoba
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...399775201.html

The T&C make me think that Visa can't determine if the $50 spend includes gift cards.
*TrialPay/Visa will email you confirmation of registration. Confirmation that your $10 credit is being processed will be emailed to you after your single qualifying purchase of $50 or more, incl. taxes using your enrolled Visa card at a Grocery Store located in Manitoba has been confirmed. Visa Debit cards are excluded. Once enrollment is confirmed, you must make a qualifying purchase within 15 days of enrollment. Grocery Stores include physical retail locations that sell a full line of food products and are identified in the Visa Systems by Merchant Category 5411. Excludes: convenience stores and specialty stores that sell a limited selection of food. Offer may exclude purchases on prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets and postage. Limit 1 per card. Accounts must be open and in good standing during offer and redemption periods.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:31 pm

Thanks! so how they shut down? send you a letter and told you Avion card was canceled? it's like pay $120 annual fee to get 15K AA points, not a super deal, someone said RBC also give pro-rated annual fee back?

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Well, i don't have the answer to your specific situation what I've been able to do in the past was 1) get the Avion card pick up 15k points + pay the fee; 2) switch to the no fee RBC rewards card; 3) 4 months later switch back to the Avion card pick up 15k points + pay the fee.

So yes, you can do product switches. However, I tried to repeat the process above a third time (i.e. get my third Avion card) and was shut down. They said I could get it, but no points. Also, I don't know if you can go from a premium card to another premium card, though I don't see why not.

This is a case where calling in is not a bad idea.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:11 pm

Thanks! so how they shut down? send you a letter and told you Avion card was canceled? it's like pay $120 annual fee to get 15K AA points, not a super deal, someone said RBC also give pro-rated annual fee back?
....meaning no more 15k bonus points,its once per lifetime now....but you can enjoy the card without the 15k points and pay the annual fee.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:13 pm

You can switch,no credit check,no 15k bonus.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:59 pm

Two years ago I switched from RBC avion to RBC BA, and there has been a credit check.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Two years ago I switched from RBC avion to RBC BA, and there has been a credit check.
Then you did'nt switch.You must have had the BA acct open and the Avion closed."Switching" means you keep the same account but switch the product of that account....no lending involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.