MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
It's better than 'usual' because now it's FYF across the board, whereas it was targeted FYF in the past. I liked this card, except for a few issues:
- need to spend another $2000 to get the full $300 value (as you mentioned, but no biggie)
- when I wanted to product-switch it to a no-fee card after my FYF was expiring, NBC wouldn't let me do it without another credit pull.

But, their way of getting the travel credit knocks the socks off the annoying BMO World Elite MC! So much easier to do, online and on your own, without some lame required booking website to go through. Plus if you do travel a lot, the "up to $250" savvy traveller Airport credits make up for the lower earning rates on spending, and even on the the $150 AF. The out-of-Canada medical coverage for up to 60 days is a nice perk too! One more thing, which I never got to use, is the NBC international travel lounge in YUL.

So, for the 'right' person, this is a really good card to get, not just to churn.

Someone should update this thread's wiki. An older lamer offer is listed there.
Very impressive benefits!

eg. Take advantage of an extended warranty that triples the original warranty period up to a maximum of two additional years4

.....and many more!

Can you redeem the points for any travel related purchase ?

Last edited by jubberly; May 17, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...rld-elite.html

I was gonna say "same old, same old..." but this offer is better than last year. It's still not quite $300 in points immediately on activation, but it's close.

30,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card.
$1 spend generates 1.5 points.

Redemption table:
11,000 points = $100
33,000 points = $300
50,000 points = $500

So, on activation, you'll have $200 in points. With $2000 spend, you'll earn 3000 points, enough to get to 33,000 points = $300.

This card seems like a good value.
Not what I read.

A maximum of 30,000 points will be awarded per World Elite® credit card account. The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date.

So,as I understand,you get the 10,000 points,with no min.spend requirement.....after having to pay the 2nd year's annual fee.

So for a churner,its a 20k point promo..........

Last edited by jubberly; May 17, 2016 at 9:31 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jubberly
Not what I read.

A maximum of 30,000 points will be awarded per World Elite® credit card account. The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date.

So,as I understand,you get the 10,000 points,with no min.spend requirement.....after having to pay the 2nd year's annual fee.

So for a churner,its a 20k point promo..........
Where are you reading that?
That looks the old wording.

The fine print that I see for this card, using the link on my post, or the link in the wiki, offers 30,000 points upfront.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Where are you reading that?
That looks the old wording.

The fine print that I see for this card, using the link on my post, or the link in the wiki, offers 30,000 points upfront.

T&C
The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date.
anyway, RFD has a thread on this
I have this card myself, spent the $2K to used my $200 already

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/nbc-w...ments-1930081/

TL;DR Churn - If you plan to churn, you need $1350 spend (including travel) to redeem the $200 travel credit.
TL;DR Keeping the card - If you spend under $40k and redeem less than 50k points (50k spend), effective cashback value is ~ 1.36%

Conclusion: The value of this card lies in whether you make use of the annual rebates.
However, based on the low cashback/rewards value, IMO other rewards cards should be considered.
I'll pass on this card/offer

Breakdown of NB welcome bonus - I find it easier for me to process:
* Year 1: FYF $0 fee + 20k Points (~$181-200)
* Year 2: $150 fee + 10k Points (~$91-100)
* Year 3: $150 fee

Annual travel rebates up to $250 as follows:
IE: $100 parking, $50 seat selection, $100 baggage check

Certain pages advertise $450 value - broken down as $150 FYF + $300 in 30k points across 2 years.
The 30k bonus is only worth $272 if you don't plan to spend $13k to reach the higher redemption tier (see below)
The biggest factor IMHO is how much you make use of in the annual travel rebate (parking/seat selection/baggage)
NB appears to have a decent list of insurance coverage. EG: Purchase protection / extended warranty, travel medical, trip cancellation, flight delay, baggage loss/delay, vehicle rental (Collision Damage Waiver)
Note: Additional cards are $50/year (waived as part of FYF)

[Edit]

If you want to liquidate the 20/30k welcome bonus, you can only redeem in increments of 11k = $100

Liquidation options:
* Redeem 11k - Year 1: Redeem for $100 of travel and forfeit the rest
* Redeem 22k - Year 1: Earn 2k points ($1,334 spend) to redeem for $200 of travel
* Redeem 33k - Year 2: Earn 3k points ($2,000 spend) to redeem for $300 of travel (plus annual fee in year 2)
* Redeem 50k - Year 2: Earn 20k points ($13.4k spend) to redeem for $500 of travel (plus annual fee in year 2)

Earning tiers:
* $0 to $40,000: 1.5 points per dollar in purchases
* $40,001 to $80,000: 2 points per dollar in purchases
* $80,001 and more: 1.5 points per dollar in purchases
* +0.5 points on purchase volumes in foreign currencies

Point redemption tiers:
* 11,000 points: $100
* 50,000 points: $500
* Over 50k, redeem 10k @ $100

I've gotten a headache after looking into the details - thankfully the point redemption credit seems pretty straight forward
The good news is that the travel redemption looks to be posted as a credit after being charged - so you should still earn points on the spend
If you can consistently make use of the travel rebates (parking/seat selection/baggage), it basically pays for the annual fee...
However, it still doesn't address the poor rate of return (cashback value in travel redemption)
This might be good for some, but I'll be passing on this one
Old May 18, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerryhung

T&C

anyway, RFD has a thread on this
I have this card myself, spent the $2K to used my $200 already

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/nbc-w...ments-1930081/

Thanks, jerryhung.
I took it for granted that the cardholder didn't have to wait until Year 2 of card ownership for the "welcome bonus" to be fulfilled.

Last edited by jerry305; May 18, 2016 at 9:19 am
Old May 18, 2016, 5:01 pm

RBC just launch a promo for 30K Asian Miles with 7.5K spending requirement, that's crazy!

do they even have a marketing department? how they can think of this kind of promo?
Old May 18, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
RBC just launch a promo for 30K Asian Miles with 7.5K spending requirement, that's crazy!

do they even have a marketing department? how they can think of this kind of promo?
No other credit card earns Asia Miles directly....as far as I know,in Canada.

Most punters wouldn't think of applying for cards with points that can be transferred to Asia Miles
Old May 18, 2016, 6:39 pm

RBC has pretty extreme spending requirements. I'm almost finished getting the Avios promotion and they are the only bank that consider plastiq.com as a cash advance! I really have to focus my spending to the card to meet the 9K promo.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by spark787
RBC has pretty extreme spending requirements. I'm almost finished getting the Avios promotion and they are the only bank that consider plastiq.com as a cash advance! I really have to focus my spending to the card to meet the 9K promo.
Plastiq is a cash advance? Glad I didn't try that method. Managed to get up to $8500 in my first day with the card, but that isn't normal for me. Most of it was a large multiple car biz insurance policy...and maybe I overpaid by a few hundred. Will get a cheque back in a month or so.

What is a bit asinine is that I had to call while at the teller to activate the card (picked up in branch) before I can enter a PIN . So I'm getting looks from the line behind me for talking on a cell while the phone rep starts the spiel about insurance and such. I manage to get a word in that I'm IN the bank and need to go. So PIN gets put in and I leave. I quickly find that it doesn't work (could be the LARGE ins.policy?). Call in and find that my card isn't activated yet!

Used to be card activation was an automated call. Now it's an attempt to sell insurance. TD is the worst but MBNA is a close 2nd.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Plastiq is a cash advance? Glad I didn't try that method. Managed to get up to $8500 in my first day with the card, but that isn't normal for me. Most of it was a large multiple car biz insurance policy...and maybe I overpaid by a few hundred. Will get a cheque back in a month or so.

What is a bit asinine is that I had to call while at the teller to activate the card (picked up in branch) before I can enter a PIN . So I'm getting looks from the line behind me for talking on a cell while the phone rep starts the spiel about insurance and such. I manage to get a word in that I'm IN the bank and need to go. So PIN gets put in and I leave. I quickly find that it doesn't work (could be the LARGE ins.policy?). Call in and find that my card isn't activated yet!

Used to be card activation was an automated call. Now it's an attempt to sell insurance. TD is the worst but MBNA is a close 2nd.
For RBC,you can only activate via automated call from your home line(that you provided on the application form).

I activated my TD First Class yesterday...forced to speak to a rep,no automation option.Actually felt annoyed that the rep was going to send me the "package" after he gave me the protection insurance spiel.I said hold it,I'm completely not agreeing to any "trial period",I do not want to enrol in any optional insurance and do not give permission.After I made it crystal clear I was finally able to conclude the call and get back to my cup of tea !
Old May 19, 2016, 9:55 am

Re:RBC I listed my cell on my application. Going to ditch the landline in a few months.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Re:RBC I listed my cell on my application. Going to ditch the landline in a few months.
An RBC rep once told me to call back after asking if I was on a cell phone saying that naughty people with scanners can pick up the call and hear all the answers to their security questions they use to identify callers and can then take over your account.

Made sense to me and is also why I dont do online banking using an unsecured wi-fi in a public location.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:53 am

I know for sure in the analog days this was possible. Not sure about today's digital signal phones.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I have an Alaska MBNA already and applied for the BW 60k offer. Online said reconsideration so I waited.

Today I had to go to Canada Post with photo ID to verify my identity and received this:

Name:  06paVYP.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  527.9 KB
That's new. Buuuuut I got approved so yay! That definitely also puts the rumours about "1 MBNA card only" to rest. Odd that they would need me to verify my ID when I already have an account but it's likely because I moved and my Alaska card still has my old address.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
i think its probably 1 card per type?

I recently also applied for & was auto approved for BW MBNA while already holding an Alaska MBNA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.