FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:34 pm
msNJV

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Vit007
Hello,

My credit score is 730+, last cc application (BMO AirMiles World Elite) was at the end of January. I am in Ontario. I would like to apply for a couple of Cards and would like some opinions.

1. The American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card w/ 2,000 AIR MILES bonus. I presently have two Amex cards: Starwood and plain AirMiles card (had this for 10+ years). Will Amex approve me for the 3rd card? Would I be able to self refer to this card, and if not, what is the best sign up additional money I can get? I do not believe I can change my plain AirMiles card to AIR MILES®* Platinum and get a sign up bonus.
2. Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa® Card. I've got this card in November 2014, cancelled in October 2015. I should be able to get 50K sign up bonus now (minus free night certificate), correct? I've read about Chase being strict with accepting applications with >5 credit pulls in the past 5 years; not sure if it is for US or applies to Canada as well.

Do Amex and Chase do credit pulls from different bureaus? Any preference to which card I should apply first?

Thanks!
You can only have a maximum of 2 personal credit cards and I think the platinum airmiles is a credit and not a charge card, you'll have to drop your SPG in order to apply for the Air Miles Platinum You're better off with one of the charge cards (Gold, Platinum)