MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:22 pm

I just noticed that Amex gift cards at Shoppers now have no foreign conversion fees (only usable in Canada and US). I'm liking this as I want to get rid of my Marriott card at renewal as Marriott points aren't any real use to me.

Yes the processing fee comes out to $10.11 and Amex isn't taken everywhere but it is certainly a nice option.

I tend to buy the $500 cards (paying with Amex gold) mainly for my Costco shopping so at least I know I'm getting the double MR points with the drug store spend. The extra 500 points (hopefully 750 with an Avois transfer) is worth the extra $10 to me to keep building my MR stash.

Anyway, just an FYI for any US bound travellers.

Last edited by tommy99; Jul 9, 2014 at 6:16 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:33 pm

If you're just going to use the Amex gift cards at Costco, you could just get a Costco cash card in Canada

When using the Cash Card in the US, Costco shouldn't charge the 2.5% exchange rate either (but hard to verify as the receipt converts the remaining balance to USD too). Only 1 point per $ spent at Costco Canada I suppose, so depends how others value 1 Avios/Aeroplan
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:15 pm

Smile CapOne Aspire Travel World master card Canada

Hi folks,

Are there any promotional credits or annual fees waiver deals available on CapOne Aspire Travel world at all? This is for Canada.

Any other similar cards that offer better value? Annual fees is fine (although 1st year waiver will help :-) Will be using this card mostly to book airlines tickets, buy food etc. so mostly for business trips.

Thanks for sharing any deals.

Cheers!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Apply off Great Canadian Rebates and you should make $75 or so for applying.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 14, 2014 at 9:37 am Reason: referral requests not allowed
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
[Canada] Capital One's Purchase Eraser, what is considered travel-related?

My card is from Canada, and I'm looking to use my points toward something but I am not sure what. I understand flights and hotels are clearly considered travel, but what else is there?

Also, what about paying the taxes and surcharges for a reward flight (Aeroplan)?
Do rental cars count as well?
Limo services?

What else is there?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Capital One's Purchase Eraser, what is considered travel-related?

Did you contact Capital One and ask your question for an answer directly from the source??
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Car rentals, limos, taxis...all qualify

All airline purchases qualify

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Jul 14, 2014 at 9:02 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:46 pm

Just throwing this out there. Do you think Amex is concerned that people are cancelling their Plat card (that is if they are, I am just assuming) now that many of us will have to pay the $699 fee together with the (big) loss of the Marco Polo benefit?

My wife and I both had the card and were paying the $399 fee. For us that was a good deal for what we received. The $699 fee is very steep even taking into consideration the $200 travel credit. We did a mini RTW recently and although the Aeroplan-Star Alliance flights were all in business (so impressed with EVA Air btw) our many inter-Asia flights were mainly economy using Avios. But having Oneworld Sapphire access to lounges and other priority perks was absolutely outstanding, it made our many airports visits so much more pleasant and added to excitement of travelling.

In the end it really was the loss of Marco Polo that made us both cancel our cards.

Are there any other people that that have cancelled or, are contemplating cancelling the Amex Plat card, due to Marco Polo (and the fee)?

And although no one knows what Amex is doing, do you think they are working feverishly trying to get a replacement for Marco Polo (or adding other major benefits) that justify the large fee?

I am very content with my Gold and I am not saying I won’t reapply again as I wouldn't mind another signup bonus but, IMO, providing status in one of the alliances is key, more so now having experienced it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by tommy99
Just throwing this out there. Do you think Amex is concerned that people are cancelling their Plat card (that is if they are, I am just assuming) now that many of us will have to pay the $699 fee together with the (big) loss of the Marco Polo benefit?

My wife and I both had the card and were paying the $399 fee. For us that was a good deal for what we received. The $699 fee is very steep even taking into consideration the $200 travel credit. We did a mini RTW recently and although the Aeroplan-Star Alliance flights were all in business (so impressed with EVA Air btw) our many inter-Asia flights were mainly economy using Avios. But having Oneworld Sapphire access to lounges and other priority perks was absolutely outstanding, it made our many airports visits so much more pleasant and added to excitement of travelling.

In the end it really was the loss of Marco Polo that made us both cancel our cards.

Are there any other people that that have cancelled or, are contemplating cancelling the Amex Plat card, due to Marco Polo (and the fee)?

And although no one knows what Amex is doing, do you think they are working feverishly trying to get a replacement for Marco Polo (or adding other major benefits) that justify the large fee?

I am very content with my Gold and I am not saying I won’t reapply again as I wouldn't mind another signup bonus but, IMO, providing status in one of the alliances is key, more so now having experienced it.
I think you should write AMEX about this, maybe if enough of us give this as a reason for cancelling they might do something about it.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by ibopm
I think you should write AMEX about this, maybe if enough of us give this as a reason for cancelling they might do something about it.
That's the problem. It was a steal back then and obviously wasn't good for Amex. At this price level I'd be happy if we got cx gold thrown in, but it's still a decent card regardless if you are in their target market.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Can you pay YQ charges on Aeroplan reward flights with the Capital One Aspire Travel Purchase Eraser credit?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ibopm
Can you pay YQ charges on Aeroplan reward flights with the Capital One Aspire Travel Purchase Eraser credit?
I think so, but I haven't actually tried it as I charged my recent few rewards to TD Aeroplan card for the Trip insurance stuff (which I'm sure Cap1 will NOT cover, where TD is more likely, even if I am not 100% certain)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:11 am

I was just alerted on RFD that the Amex Costco cards are no longer available for application. Confirmed this on the Amex Canada website.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by prmetime
I was just alerted on RFD that the Amex Costco cards are no longer available for application. Confirmed this on the Amex Canada website.
That is interesting. This is the second credit card that was discontinued by American Express Canada in 2014. The first being the American Express ChoicePlus Card.

I hope they have some good promotions or new products coming up soon.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by prmetime
Weird, I still see it http://www.americanexpress.com/canad...-trueearnings/. Wonder what happens to current cardholders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.