MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:41 pm

1st of July tomorrow….Hoping for a nice 50% transfer bonus to Avios
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
I'm trying to max the 2-4-1 short hauls. But aside from coming up with 'new' travel that I wasn't really planning, I keep coming to the conclusion that I should let them expire.

I'm in Ontario with three three kids. Three short hauls in two adult accounts. Connections to hubs like Atlanta or Boston are just as or better with Avios.

I was considering a trip from YOW to Thunder Bay or maybe drive to YUL and head to the east coast. But those are the best new travels that I could come up with. AC doesn't go to to Nunavut anymore. The only Manitoba destination is Winnipeg. AC taxes just suck out all the initial enthusiasm for the 2-4-1. If I had domestic plans, they'd be great though.

What are your plans for TD 2-4-1? Or your opinion of the value? Thanks all!
The difficulty in redeeming good value for the 2-for-1 has been discussed before...
http://www.creditwalk.ca/aeroplan-sh...l-suckers-bet/
Not easy to justify this type of redemption, unless you want to get somewhere REALLY out of the ordinary (yes JerryHung, ATL is REALLY out of the ordinary! )

Hmmm, I thought that Nunavut was still possible from YOW/YUL, but not with AC metal, but rather with First Air? Non?

Anyway, remember, you have until Dec 31st to redeem the 2-for-1 voucher, to book travel into the latter months of 2015, so don't give up on them too soon! Maybe something will come up, like 24hr daylight adventures!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
@pointshogger @duberville

It is nice to read a blog which is not just focused on credit cards
Yes, agreed on this.

Question though - why is the Capital One IHG card not listed in the WIKI above? Seems like a good deal to get 60000 IHG points.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by injian
Yes, agreed on this.

Question though - why is the Capital One IHG card not listed in the WIKI above? Seems like a good deal to get 60000 IHG points.

Sounds like a plan... I've edited the wiki above.

60,000 IHG points:
Capital One IHG® Rewards Club World MasterCard®

If you time it right, this card's signup bonus could be worth 12 nights.
See IHG PointBreaks thread here.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
The difficulty in redeeming good value for the 2-for-1 has been discussed before...
Not easy to justify this type of redemption, unless you want to get somewhere REALLY out of the ordinary (yes JerryHung, ATL is REALLY out of the ordinary! )
I am in Atlanta right now and I actually quite enjoyed it so far (3 day trip)
People should come and visit

Get a cheap car rental (3 day $90 CAD)
Cheap hotel ($60 CAD/night) near ATL
City Pass ($75 pp) for 5 attractions
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ml262
I book quite a fair amount of travel domestically and I always book direct on the airline's website.

Now that I think about it I can get much more by booking through portals like TDrewards Expedia page and still collect the status/award miles I would have received when booking direct.

How do you book your travel to maximize points? Thanks in advance.
Book on ExpediaForTD.com for 4.5% return (9X amount in TD points. 10K = $50).
For airline, you'd still get status. For hotel, it's YMMV, you can email/call hotel to add your FFP #

Originally Posted by microcosm
those of you that are familiar with cc scores for churning in canada, tell me whats the impact of having like 10 newly added accounts (mostly cc's) added at once, worst case scenario to my understanding is it reduces avg age but even then how "bad" is it to have so many new accounts for say in consideration of future cc applications.

lastly im not worried about overstretching my credit, so how long should I keep these cc's before cancelling them, im thinking like 6 months because id like to do new apps after that period
I think I read that each application is -3 to -5 points? to 10 apps is -50 points max maybe?
and you should rest for a while to rebuild score after 10 CC apps

Hey jerryhung,

I've had the TD Travel Infinite Visa for years when I finally discovered how to properly have travel insurance coverage..... With one of many cc's of course. But who knew?

It's no fee with my $5,000 minimum account. As well as a TD US Visa and a no fee US dollar account. And the free cheques. So I feel I get value.

But... Now that I've discovered the all the other cards that have great coverage, do you think right off the top that the TD First Class would be better then the Travel Infinite? We don't really use it for much anymore but keep it active since it's one of two we've had for years. More detail please?
Get both TD cards, since they're FREE
I've had TD FC since 2007/2008?
TD Aeroplan's free 15K and 2-for-1 is nice bonus

I'm trying to max the 2-4-1 short hauls. But aside from coming up with 'new' travel that I wasn't really planning, I keep coming to the conclusion that I should let them expire.

I'm in Ontario with three three kids. Three short hauls in two adult accounts. Connections to hubs like Atlanta or Boston are just as or better with Avios.

I was considering a trip from YOW to Thunder Bay or maybe drive to YUL and head to the east coast. But those are the best new travels that I could come up with. AC doesn't go to to Nunavut anymore. The only Manitoba destination is Winnipeg. AC taxes just suck out all the initial enthusiasm for the 2-4-1. If I had domestic plans, they'd be great though.

What are your plans for TD 2-4-1? Or your opinion of the value? Thanks all!
I bought 3 tickets YYZ-ATL direct (so 30K + $600 total). It's the furthest point from YYZ
Yes, YQ sucks, but revenue flights were $2000 for 3 tickets!!!
and I've visited all the nearby cities (NYC, Chicago, Washington DC)

note: You'd find that Avios isn't that useful to non-AA cities. There are no DIRECT YYZ-ATL/BOS flights on AA, only YYZ-LGA/JFK/ORD/MIA/DFW/LAX
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I am in Atlanta right now and I actually quite enjoyed it so far (3 day trip)
People should come and visit

Get a cheap car rental (3 day $90 CAD)
Cheap hotel ($60 CAD/night) near ATL
City Pass ($75 pp) for 5 attractions
I agree with Jerry and I used Aeroplan miles to buy ticket to ATL for May long weekend. Hubby had to book a ticket last minute to go for conference and I joined him. Cheapest ticket was $650. So I paid 15K+Tax. I was there for 3.5 days and enjoyed it.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Is Priority Club points different from IHG Reward Club points? I applied for the Cap One IHG for my parents and put their IHG membership number where it asked for PC #. Hope it's the same.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by injian
Is Priority Club points different from IHG Reward Club points? I applied for the Cap One IHG for my parents and put their IHG membership number where it asked for PC #. Hope it's the same.
Priority Club is the old name i think

my card says Priority Club Rewards on it, and C1 online login says Priority Club points, but the C1 website where i applied calls it IHG Rewards Club
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Hmmm, I thought that Nunavut was still possible from YOW/YUL, but not with AC metal, but rather with First Air? Non?

Anyway, remember, you have until Dec 31st to redeem the 2-for-1 voucher, to book travel into the latter months of 2015, so don't give up on them too soon! Maybe something will come up, like 24hr daylight adventures!
Indeed. I've used it before to fly to Kansas City and Des Moines, both the farthest west I think you can go AC short-haul. Saved me $100 per ticket, which wasn't bad. But I definitely agree that most people will actually be losing out on using this for redemptions to non-niche or non-borderline destinations.

Edit: I also recall short-haul being applicable to some random islands in eastern Quebec, no? And that being a fantastic redemption given the very high flight cost.

/ Ontario-centric
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
1st of July tomorrow….Hoping for a nice 50% transfer bonus to Avios
Sigh. Looks like we're going to have to keep on waiting for the time being.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by jerry305

Sounds like a plan... I've edited the wiki above.

60,000 IHG points:
Capital One IHG® Rewards Club World MasterCard®

If you time it right, this card's signup bonus could be worth 12 nights.
See IHG PointBreaks thread here.
im going to look through thread you linked but 60k points gets you 3 or 4 nights as it says on the website, and the annual fee is $120 and not waived. Secondly this is fricken loser capital 1, they will hit your equifax and transunion, especially since i value each hit to be absolutely minimum $200, i refuse to let these banksters have at me

also theyre credit inquiry sensitive, dont have any in past 3 months, something that doesnt work well with churners (like me) schedule, no inquiries on either EQ or TU for 3 months, LOL
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
I agree with Jerry and I used Aeroplan miles to buy ticket to ATL for May long weekend. Hubby had to book a ticket last minute to go for conference and I joined him. Cheapest ticket was $650. So I paid 15K+Tax. I was there for 3.5 days and enjoyed it.
I've been to ATL a few times using Aeroplans. 25K for me though (from YVR), but well worth it considering the cost is usually $600+. I've even splurged for J to ATL twice, because it's such a looong day (usually connecting in IAH, ORD or DEN), which is great value, even if J on United isn't terribly exciting!

ATL is one crazy airport. I recommend NEVER checking a bag when you go. One of mine got lost there (but I did get it back several days later).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Sigh. Looks like we're going to have to keep on waiting for the time being.
I really want to book some flights by the end of the summer, but now I am wondering if I should wait until October...that seems to be the next likely date of the bonus. BUT....I am beginning to wonder if it's just NOT going to happen ever again. The bonuses sucked us in, and now they've yanked away the dangling carrot...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
im going to look through thread you linked but 60k points gets you 3 or 4 nights as it says on the website, and the annual fee is $120 and not waived. Secondly this is fricken loser capital 1, they will hit your equifax and transunion, especially since i value each hit to be absolutely minimum $200, i refuse to let these banksters have at me

also theyre credit inquiry sensitive, dont have any in past 3 months, something that doesnt work well with churners (like me) schedule, no inquiries on either EQ or TU for 3 months, LOL
I value 60,000 at roughly $400-$500 (I am sure there are some better deals to be had, but not in the cities I could use them in). Subtract $120 annual fee, and it comes close to making your $200 per hit minimum. I am still contemplating this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.