MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by crimsona
Regular Aerogold got transferred to a grandfathered TD platinum with $120 annual fee and 1 mile per $1

The public TD Platinum has $89 annual fee and 1 mile per $1.50
Uggg...that suck'eth!! I didn't pay attention to the package that came with my converted TD Platinum Visa. Definitely going to burn this one.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Is there any VISA/MC GCs sold in Canada that can be used on websites that specify a US CC? I need to load my Spotify Premium account.

I'm not fully sure what category this should go in, I thought this was probably the most appropriate.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Is the biggest sign up bonus there's ever been on the Best Western card 50K? The bonus now is 20K. Any guesses on when a bigger bonus may come around?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:34 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is the biggest sign up bonus there's ever been on the Best Western card 50K? The bonus now is 20K. Any guesses on when a bigger bonus may come around?
It was 60K bonus last summer for MBNA BW card.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by alc
Quote:

It was 60K bonus last summer for MBNA BW card.
Right. More specifics on Page 4 of this forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-canada-4.html

Last edited by jerry305; Jun 16, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:46 am

It's been 'forever' at 20K on the mbna.ca and GCR website ($60 cash rebate).

As for past (recent) promos, my 'rough**' notes are:
  1. Aug 29 - Oct 05, 2012, spend $1000 by Oct 31st for 50,000 BWRs
  2. Jun 10 - Jul 31, 2013, spend $1000 by Jul 31st for 50,000 BWRs, spend another $1000 by Aug 31st for extra 10,000 BWRs (i.e. 60,000 BWRs after $2,000 spending)
  3. Sep 21 - Nov 30, 2013, spend $1000 by Nov 30th for 50,000 BWRs
**I may be off on the exact dates.

So, looking at those dates, would you say that it's getting close to time for another elevated 50K promo to appear for the this card? Someone mentioned that they got a targeted offer about a month ago...otherwise, it's still 20K at GCR+$60 cash, and nothing else but crickets.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I am beginning to wonder if this is the case NOW! Met my $500 minimum spend last billing cycle for Amex Gold (second churn) and still no bonus! Other people are noticing the bonuses aren't posting immediately like they used to. Good news is that my spouses' referral bonus posted immediately...
I am into my second month (and billing cycle) after having met the $500 minimum spend, and STILL no 25K welcome bonus. I've sent an inquiry by secure message, but just wondering if anyone else has had issues with getting the 25K bonus on a churn. This is my second time holding this card and I waited 8 months before reapplying...
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by siaa380
Is there any VISA/MC GCs sold in Canada that can be used on websites that specify a US CC? I need to load my Spotify Premium account.

I'm not fully sure what category this should go in, I thought this was probably the most appropriate.
I have an alternate billing address in the US with my BMO MC in Canada. Not a problem for online purchasing where the billing and shipping address must match.
YMMV
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
I just got my first statement from Chase for the Marriott card and it says I got the 50,000 points transferred to Marriott. However, I went online and found that there were 0 points there.

So I called the number on the statement, and the guy said that I had gotten the points and redeemed them on the statement date. But I told him this was impossible because today was the first day I got the statement. So then he gave me the Marriott Rewards number and I called them instead.

The Marriott Rewards line has this weird automated robot, but I was eventually able to get a person. And the person says that it may take 4-8 weeks from my first purchase to get the points and so he told me to stay put for a while longer.

Anyone else experienced this? It's ridiculous!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by ibopm
I just got my first statement from Chase for the Marriott card and it says I got the 50,000 points transferred to Marriott. However, I went online and found that there were 0 points there.

So I called the number on the statement, and the guy said that I had gotten the points and redeemed them on the statement date. But I told him this was impossible because today was the first day I got the statement. So then he gave me the Marriott Rewards number and I called them instead.

The Marriott Rewards line has this weird automated robot, but I was eventually able to get a person. And the person says that it may take 4-8 weeks from my first purchase to get the points and so he told me to stay put for a while longer.

it takes a few days from statement date to the points showing up. usually mine appear on the 18th
my statement date is the 11th
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
Originally Posted by ibopm

it takes a few days from statement date to the points showing up. usually mine appear on the 18th
In fact, it seems that ALL Canadian cardholders of the Chase Marriott Visa cycle on the 11th, bill appears online on the 12th, and points get posted by Chase to Marriott and then the Marriott account sees the points on either the 18th or 19th.

ibo, relax, your points will be there soon.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Originally Posted by Cerenity
In fact, it seems that ALL Canadian cardholders of the Chase Marriott Visa cycle on the 11th, bill appears online on the 12th, and points get posted by Chase to Marriott and then the Marriott account sees the points on either the 18th or 19th.

Thanks for the assurances guys. I guess I was more pissed off that the rep told me I had received and redeemed the points. What an accusation!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:57 am

is the mariott card lucrative? I need a card with no foreign exchange fees, and that seems like best one. what do you think?

also, can I "convert" the mariott points somehow?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:11 am
alc

Originally Posted by zer0k1
is the Marriott card lucrative? I need a card with no foreign exchange fees, and that seems like best one. what do you think?

also, can I "convert" the Marriott points somehow?
In Canada, I think Chase Canada is still the only CC issuer that offer no FX fee and only the following cards from Chase are FX free:

- Amazon VISA
- All Sears M/C
- Marriott VISA

Amazon give you 1% rebate, so if you think you can get 1 cent return $1 spend on Marriott VISA (1/2/5 points per $1, depending what you are buying) then Marriott will be better. Amazon and the Basic Sears M/C do not have Annual Fee, so that might be better if you do not want to deal with Chase Canada approval department after you get the card at first.

You can convert Marriott points to others FFP:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...avel_unwind.mi
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Yep...mine, too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.