MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Marriott Rewards Plus Points: Social media promo

On Facebook and on Twitter, I maintain two accounts:
one I use for real stuff, and one I use for internet promotions like the following.

Marriott Rewards Plus Points
Earn points by promoting Marriott Rewards on social media.

A Flyertalk forum on this topic started up yesterday here. Marriott's website says this program is in beta, but most participants on the forum have reported no problems.

I saw nothing in the Terms & Conditions that limits this promo to US residents.

Last edited by jerry305; May 10, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305

On Facebook and on Twitter, I maintain two accounts:
one I use for real stuff, and one I use for internet promotions like the following.

Marriott Rewards Plus Points
Earn points by promoting Marriott Rewards on social media.

A Flyertalk forum on this topic started up yesterday here. Marriott's website says this program is in beta, but most participants on the forum have reported no problems.

I saw nothing in the Terms & Conditions that limits this promo to US residents.
Patrick of rewardscanada.ca has also blogged about this. Similar to social rewards used by the total rewards group in Vegas. Unfortunately limits you to 2000 points monthly.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
since the marriott rewards program has many points partners, what is the best partner to choose? i chose aeroplan for now.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
since the marriott rewards program has many points partners, what is the best partner to choose? i chose aeroplan for now.

If you're referring to the Marriott Rewards Plus Points program, then don't choose an airline partner at all. You won't get any points if you do.

FAQ page (located at https://www.marriottrewardspluspoints.com/faq#q4
4. Can I earn airline miles using Plus Points?
No. You can only earn points through Plus Points. If your earning preference is set to miles, you can change your earning preference to points to participate in Plus Points.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: ACE50k,HHSilver, BW Diamond, Marriott Gold, National EE, Accor, IHG, SPG, Choice, Hertz#1Gold
Quick question...

If I have the CIBC Aero Classic card and want to upgrade to the gold one, do I get the signup bonus?

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dolphin2
Quick question...

If I have the CIBC Aero Classic card and want to upgrade to the gold one, do I get the signup bonus?

Thanks!
I'd call CIBC and ask
If so, simply upgrade without credit check
If not, well, apply for Aero Gold and get 15K bonus, take a credit hit

Let us know, good luck
Old May 15, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

UPS Store:
250 bonus miles on in-store purchase

"Until May 31, 2014, earn 250 bonus Aeroplan Miles on your next transaction as a Get More member at The UPS Store. Not a Get More member? Sign up and you also get 500 bonus miles upon your first transaction as a Get More member."
Link to promo at Aeroplan website

So if you happen to be near a UPS Store, pick up $1+ worth of envelopes, markers, mailing supplies, etc. Show your Get More card. Get 251 miles.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:08 am

Do I get the 750 with one transaction at ups or do I need one for the 500 get more promotion the one for the 250 promotion?
Old May 16, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger3592
Do I get the 750 with one transaction at ups or do I need one for the 500 get more promotion the one for the 250 promotion?
You may need 2 transactions.

From the T&C:
Upon your first transaction as a Get More member, 500 bonus miles will be applied to your Aeroplan Account. From May 5 to May 31, 2014, earn an additional 250 bonus miles on your next transaction.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:25 am

I got 901 according to aeroplan app.
150 for first use with ups/aeroplan
251 for promotional use in May
500 for first use of get more

Nice.... A little mad that they charged me $2 to print a page but really nice to get the aero miles
Old May 16, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Roger3592
Just need to do one txn. Just make sure the clerk knows what he/she is doing. They should be able to tell you on the spot that you got 500 sign up points by using the BMGM card for the first time, and also that you got 250 as part of the current spending promo.

We discussed it here and in the few pages that followed, including instructions on how to get the BMGM card. Points will post very quickly...if you conduct the txn by say 9am, it may even show up in your AP account by 10:30am, an hour or so later.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
there needs to be a disclaimer up there with the marriott chase card. literally the hardest and most stringest issuer, after 30 mins on the phone, rep wouldnt overlook the fact i had 2 equifax hits in past month but my score 732 going into the application. my first rejection of a credit card app ever.

whats the time period to wait without taking any new inquiries on equifax, because she told me i was on par with what they wanted, just recent inquiries threw my app off..so is it 3 or 6 months? really wish i was more careful and would of done the chase before i did BMO world, would of gotten approved for chase that way
Old May 18, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by microcosm
there needs to be a disclaimer up there with the marriott chase card. literally the hardest and most stringest issuer, after 30 mins on the phone, rep wouldnt overlook the fact i had 2 equifax hits in past month but my score 732 going into the application. my first rejection of a credit card app ever.

whats the time period to wait without taking any new inquiries on equifax, because she told me i was on par with what they wanted, just recent inquiries threw my app off..so is it 3 or 6 months? really wish i was more careful and would of done the chase before i did BMO world, would of gotten approved for chase that way
It's "would have" or "would've", not "would of"

Chase Marriott is very stingy, yes, I got denied also as they won't even re-activate my cancelled card within 3 months of cancellation (it's a new credit check anyway)
They tell you to re-apply after 6 months

Instead, apply for Chase Amazon (Free, $20 Amazon.ca credit) if you want the no-FX-fee feature. I did and got approved within few hours
Old May 18, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's "would have" or "would've", not "would of"

Chase Marriott is very stingy, yes, I got denied also as they won't even re-activate my cancelled card within 3 months of cancellation (it's a new credit check anyway)
They tell you to re-apply after 6 months

Instead, apply for Chase Amazon (Free, $20 Amazon.ca credit) if you want the no-FX-fee feature. I did and got approved within few hours
semantics.
anyways regarding chase, or cc's in canada, chase marriott cc has to be by the far the most profitable (and according to accounts above churnable) card in canada, 50k = 5 nights (+ i believe there is some promo where its like 3-4nights and get 1 free) + 1 free night e certificate.. damn thats worth atleast $600-700 with FYF + only 1 Equifax pull...
Old May 18, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by microcosm
semantics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.