MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
You are right. Back in 2012 I got 50000 avios with 5000$ spent within three months. I was interested in the card at that time, but found it not so usefull and very expensive considering its low benefits.
Thanks for verifying this info. I might be enticed at 50000 level being in YVR where I can use it for AS flights as well. But at $1 spending = 1 pt I'm better off using my Amex Gold MR which I use for $1/2 pts purchases only and can transfer to Avios if I wish to.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by prmetime
Thanks for verifying this info. I might be enticed at 50000 level being in YVR where I can use it for AS flights as well. But at $1 spending = 1 pt I'm better off using my Amex Gold MR which I use for $1/2 pts purchases only and can transfer to Avios if I wish to.
I have this card and like it because the 2-4-1 on points each year provides good value imo.

Most of the points I collect are amex MR points, but can transfer them to avios account to make best use of the 2-4-1
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Mr prmetime and I both received the RBC BA 15K + 15K after $5000 spend in the first 2 months offer. I doubt that I will take them up on this offer as I believe the past couple of years the offer was for 50K and 45 K respectively (please correct me if I am wrong). Big spend requirement as well and no offer of FYF.
For a better long-term card, the RBC Platinum/Infinite Avion gives 1 RBC Rewards for $1 spend and normally lets you convert to Avios at a 1:1 ratio. However, they usually run promos letting you convert at a 1:1.5 ratio, meaning that <650 mile flight only costs $3,000 spend on the RBC Avion (which has the same issuer and annual fee as the BA card!). Bonus 15k points ~ 22.5k BA Avios

Only downside is the delay in converting from RBC Rewards -> BA.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
For a better long-term card, the RBC Platinum/Infinite Avion gives 1 RBC Rewards for $1 spend and normally lets you convert to Avios at a 1:1 ratio. However, they usually run promos letting you convert at a 1:1.5 ratio, meaning that <650 mile flight only costs $3,000 spend on the RBC Avion (which has the same issuer and annual fee as the BA card!). Bonus 15k points ~ 22.5k BA Avios

Only downside is the delay in converting from RBC Rewards -> BA.
Thanks for the response. Yes I'm aware of this card and may apply in the future. However, I actually prefer cards that allow me to transfer to multiple airlines such as BA and AP as this allows for much better flexibility.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:28 am

Hey guys, just got rid of my Marriott Rewards Visa and now only have an AMEX; need a new MC or VS as backups;

Any good free promos running at the moment with juicy sign up or spend bonuses?

I deal with SPG/Marriott and Aeroplan, but would consider something that can transfer or that I can at least cash in for decent gift cards
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Aeroplan, Marriott Gold Elite, Nexus
Originally Posted by hearna
Hey guys, just got rid of my Marriott Rewards Visa and now only have an AMEX; need a new MC or VS as backups;

Any good free promos running at the moment with juicy sign up or spend bonuses?

I deal with SPG/Marriott and Aeroplan, but would consider something that can transfer or that I can at least cash in for decent gift cards

MBNA Alaska Mastercard combined with the GCR bonus is an easy way to get a free round-trip in North America. 25K signup bonus (the usual rate)
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I have this card and like it because the 2-4-1 on points each year provides good value imo.

Most of the points I collect are amex MR points, but can transfer them to avios account to make best use of the 2-4-1
Can you book the 2 for 1 ticket using points?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by bilingualMK
MBNA Alaska Mastercard combined with the GCR bonus is an easy way to get a free round-trip in North America. 25K signup bonus (the usual rate)
If your flying out of Detroit there are almost no Alaska airlines flights ( one to Seattle )
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
No. You must use cash for the primary ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by peacestar
Yes, that is what the appeal for the card is for me. Each year I earn a 2-4-1 by spending 30k. Get one ticket on points, get another ticket (same itinerary/class, BA metal) for no points.

Fees on BA are high, but if you are flying in first I think it is still worth it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Just read Pointshogger's blog on the potential demise of Sears . I've held my Sears card for 30+ years and am wondering if I open another Chase credit card if it will maintain my credit history with them. Thoughts??
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Enough
Just to let y'all know, I have started a blog (today) that meshes finances with travel, and has a particular focus on Canadian travel.

http://www.dcta.ca
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Just read Pointshogger's blog on the potential demise of Sears . I've held my Sears card for 30+ years and am wondering if I open another Chase credit card if it will maintain my credit history with them. Thoughts??
Thanks for reading prmetime!

I am also curious to hear thoughts from everyone.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
Just to let y'all know, I have started a blog (today) that meshes finances with travel, and has a particular focus on Canadian travel.

http://www.dcta.ca
I look forward to having another Canadian blog! Best wishes!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Thanks for reading prmetime!

I am also curious to hear thoughts from everyone.
Always great to read Canadian blogs in this hobby...I especially like the fact you're in YVR!

Last edited by prmetime; Jun 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.