MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
GCR doesn't offer rebates on TD products though, do they?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:06 am

With regards to MBNA going to TD in October. I already have the Alaska Air card but was thinking of applying for another one as some people here have had success holding two and getting the two bonuses. Should I apply while it is still MBNA or hold off when it is under the TD program? Obviously I am just looking for opinions here as nobody will really know.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:11 am

Milesbuzz: Canada

have the same question...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by tommy99
With regards to MBNA going to TD in October. I already have the Alaska Air card but was thinking of applying for another one as some people here have had success holding two and getting the two bonuses. Should I apply while it is still MBNA or hold off when it is under the TD program? Obviously I am just looking for opinions here as nobody will really know.
Whoa. MBNA is going to TD? Crap!!! That'll probably stop the gravy train of Alaska Air applications. I'd say get in on it right now while you can... I don't think TD is NEARLY as lax on multiple applications.

[edit] not to mention TD is a Visa / Aeroplan shop, so I can't see them continuing to offer an Alaska Air MasterCard.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Whoa. MBNA is going to TD? Crap!!! That'll probably stop the gravy train of Alaska Air applications. I'd say get in on it right now while you can... I don't think TD is NEARLY as lax on multiple applications.

[edit] not to mention TD is a Visa / Aeroplan shop, so I can't see them continuing to offer an Alaska Air MasterCard.
This is what I was worried about as well. Do we know the last possible date to apply for a MBNA Alaska Air app? I will try and squeeze in two more...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
This is what I was worried about as well. Do we know the last possible date to apply for a MBNA Alaska Air app? I will try and squeeze in two more...
Since no changes have been announced, I suspect there isn't really a "cutoff" time. Problem is there isn't enough time to do two more apps, as that's barely a month to the switch.

I think I will apply for another one in mid-September sometime and then just wait for it to transition to TD and see what happens after. Maybe apply once again in the ensuing mess.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:26 am

Hmmm, I cancelled my MBNA Alaska last month
with this news, maybe I should get one in before end of Sept (via GCR)

Then once it switches to TD, maybe apply a NEW one?

CIBC->TD Aeroplan switch deja vu? ha
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:42 am

TD bought out MBNA's portfolio 3 years ago. For all intents and purposes, we've been TD customers for years. They have no need to provide any incentive to stay. They've just taken their sweet time integrating MBNA's business

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-b...ness-1.1068716
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pointshogger
Were you provided the reason yet? They usually send a letter explaining why you were denied. Once you know the reasons, then you can take the next step.

Otherwise, I believe you can try to apply again in 6 months. If one of the reasons, for example, is because of your credit score, then you'll know that's what you need to improve.
Not yet, waiting for letter.

I was wanting to get the IHG Plat status for a stay in Sep, then use it as a jumping point for Hyatt Diamond. I hope I get the letter soon.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:37 pm

I have an MBNA Choice Privileges MasterCard that I got specifically to transfer points to WN. Being Canadian, and not being eligible for a WN cc, this has been a great work-around. MBNA/TD will no longer be associated with Choice after September 27, so I think I will just cancel my card. It was great while it lasted.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:03 pm

Did you receive a letter stating that?

Wonder what's happening with Alaska Airlines then...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by crimsona
Did you receive a letter stating that?

Wonder what's happening with Alaska Airlines then...
If you're referring to dorif's comment about MBNA dumping the Choice Privileges MC, there was a little discussion about it here.

But, it's not quite the same situation...MBNA will no longer partner with Choice, but neither will TD take it over.

Yes, they did send out letters and stated that Sep 27th, 2014 would be the final day to use the card (final points in Oct statement), and that our cards would be converted to the MBNA Rewards card instead. Blehh.

I guess MBNA is pulling back on the low-return cards....Choice, because not many people are interested in their hotel chain, and Alaska, because it was way too easy to churn for points.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

for fudges sake are you guys fricken sure TD Is taking over MBNA?

I know they bought out the company but i was hoping they would let it operate as a subsidiary independently like scotia to tangerine or loblaws is going to shoppers and hundreds of other examples, otherwise they will literally KILL MBNA... which to TD seems not a bad option after all as its less competitiveness they have to put up with and they got MBNA for a pretty deep discount
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:44 am

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...g/mbnanews.jsp
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 am

http://www.mbna.ca/document/PDF/9315...2_FINAL_nc.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.