Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Thanks for the report pauleknight! Looking forward to this MR with csfing1 (and others?) coming up! First time doing it but wondering about the specific question about the following:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

The guy writing down the names of the people getting transit boarding passes asked me straight up if I was on a mileage run and I had to say yes.

Does that pose a problem to admit that?

Last edited by thoiboi; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:55 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Thanks for the report pauleknight! Looking forward to this MR with csfing1 (and others?) coming up! First time doing it but wondering about the specific question about the following:

Does that pose a problem to admit that?
No, they are used to that. If you are going to be doing another MR later have even told them I will see them on next MR.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your report

Did you see the orchid garden and koi pond? They also have a movie theater. Butterfly garden (can't see much at night), a glad you found the lounge chairs where you could relax a bit. Am assuming you explored T2&3. Anyone else going check the Lounge Buddy ap which is free and it will tell you what lounges are available and the price and if you have higher price cc you may have access to some of the lounges.

Thanks for your report and it was great that you had a whole row to yourself in EC . Have a Great Day! Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: delta skymiles
Currently sitting at T1 changi right now. As previously mentioned above by fellow members, the lounge now only accepts biz pax, I did use it once before on my mr in 2013. Wasn't particularly keen on finding space to relax cuz need to stretch some legs and hit my step track goals on fitbit and sync it to pact.
My routing yyz-JFK-NRT-sin-NRT-sea-JFK-yyz and decided to do this because local time now November 6th is my birthday. Got my BPs from sin-NRT-sea at JFK before my long haul outbound. The sky club near gate 11 is much smaller than the one near 25, but they had fried dumpling and shrimp sushi which are really nice to have. Had economy comfort with middle open on JFK-NRT, but my butt still hurt lol. Had an entire row on NRT-sin, managed to snatch some fine sleep.
For wifi, I went to the info desk and registered with my passport if you don't wanna switch back from airplane mode of your smartphone.
Psrice 1010 cad, miles will earn 21500mqm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by xihuang91
Got my BPs from sin-NRT-sea at JFK before my long haul outbound....
Happy Birthday!

So you got your return boarding passes at JFK even before leaving to travel TO SIN? How/where? At a JFK SkyClub?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Burj
Happy Birthday!

So you got your return boarding passes at JFK even before leaving to travel TO SIN? How/where? At a JFK SkyClub?
Thank you
I changed my seat before I board so I went to the check in counter at the gate asked for a new BP. In my app, the trip was divided as yyz-JFK-NRT-sin-NRT-sea, and sea-jfk-yyz, the agent said it was in time to check in for the two inbound legs as well so he got me the BPs for the legs to sea.
It was a Japanese agent at JFK
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xihuang91
Currently sitting at T1 changi right now. As previously mentioned above by fellow members, the lounge now only accepts biz pax, I did use it once before on my mr in 2013. Wasn't particularly keen on finding space to relax cuz need to stretch some legs and hit my step track goals on fitbit and sync it to pact.
My routing yyz-JFK-NRT-sin-NRT-sea-JFK-yyz and decided to do this because local time now November 6th is my birthday. Got my BPs from sin-NRT-sea at JFK before my long haul outbound. The sky club near gate 11 is much smaller than the one near 25, but they had fried dumpling and shrimp sushi which are really nice to have. Had economy comfort with middle open on JFK-NRT, but my butt still hurt lol. Had an entire row on NRT-sin, managed to snatch some fine sleep.
For wifi, I went to the info desk and registered with my passport if you don't wanna switch back from airplane mode of your smartphone.
Psrice 1010 cad, miles will earn 21500mqm
Happy Birthday! Thanks for your post. Am going to try a pad called Seat Lite made by Gelco which I got from Travelsmith to see if I am more comfortable. Didn't really use it in J on last run but it should make a difference. Tried sitting on blankets and pillows which helped some but was not enough. Have a great MR! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Nov 5, 2014 at 11:04 am Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Csfing1
Happy Birthday! Thanks for your post. Am going to try a pad called Seat Lite made by Gelco which I got from Travelsmith to see if I am more comfortable. Didn't really use it in J on last run but it should make a difference. Tried sitting on blankets and pillows which helped some but was not enough. Have a great MR! Cheers!
Thank you
Let us know how the pads work for you. As long I am able to lie down I am fine in Y, I always keep eye on open rows lol so kinda hate getting eyes from agent for switch BPs
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nichelle
I'll be platinum next year with rollover miles because of this thread. And I will book another by year end if the schedule allows. There's real vacation travel between now and then so not sure If I can make it work. I'm not looking to make diamond but would love more rollover miles and the bonus miles while I can get them.
How was your MR and how did you like Changi (SIN) airport? Hope your trip went well, share your observations and comments with us.

Safe travels! Cheers!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAEXP, CZ G, MU PLT, CA PLT, Hyatt D, Hilton D, Marriott PP
If you are interested here are the facts for our MR, if you aren't please ignore.

Oct 26-29, 2014 SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO 25,318 MQM

56,966 RDM for DM
50,636 RDM FOR PM

4:38:34.50 SFO JFK
13:46:56.13 JFK NRT
7:00:56.89 NRT SIN
6:16:13.91 SIN NRT
12:02:40.45 NRT JFK
5:38:51.13 JFK SFO

49:24:13.01 total flight time. PLEASE NOTE how many hours flying of the 72, there was $45 for parking and $10 toll

Price for ticket $1029.60 ai 4.07 cpm per person or $2059.20 for both tickets, got UG on 5 of the 6 legs, only one we missed was first SFO JFK. Actual price paid was $450 less as we had as we had credits for that amount. If you subtract the $450 you than get a 3.18 cpm which is pretty good!

Happy Travels! If you are making a MR let us know! Cheers!
I found new fare dep on the following every Sun-Wed LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX 25,086 MQM , 5 days min stay, and but it's only $865.7 ai. I have ticketed a trip dep on Nov 26 and return on Dec 4.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
How was your MR and how did you like Changi (SIN) airport? Hope your trip went well, share your observations and comments with us.

Safe travels! Cheers!
I'm home! And I wish I'd done this run long before now.

My itinerary was:
SFO-MSP-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-SFO

I had to add a positioning flight to get to SFO.
Total miles traveled: 28,974

Upgrades cleared for the domestic legs (with the exception of the Transcon JFK-SFO of course - interesting flight). I selected bulkhead seats for the international portions and kept watching availability using the Delta app before and during the trip. I moved seats a couple of times to make sure the seat next to me was empty.

All flights were smooth and I think I've now watched every movie on Delta that I was interested in. Other than sleeping, that kept me occupied. Making my way through Changi was pretty easy. I stopped at a couple of the shops that were open and made some purchases for friends. I then checked into the hotel in Terminal 1. I'd reserved a single and the woman at the desk informed me that due to availability "We've upgraded you!" And when I walked into my upgraded room, instead of one single bed, there were three! Yippee! I could reenact 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears'.

Anyway, after I calmed down from the excitement of 3 separate beds, I just wanted to take a shower and freshen up. The next surprise was my room only had large bath towels. I called the desk and they informed me that the laundry would be ready "in the morning". Quite honestly, I wish I had skipped the hotel. The only thing I really wanted was a shower. Overall, the hotel set up is quite fine. And as long as they have towels, the shower is good.

I didn't make it to as many parts of the airport as I wanted. I wandered down to terminal 3 and picked up a wi-fi password and did some more shopping. When the ticket desk opened, I wanted to get my boarding passes ASAP. The attendant there was great and fun to talk to. Very pleasant with a great sense of humor! He asked if I was doing this for miles and what my 'level' would be. He also said that he sees many more 'runners' towards the end of the year and that I was the third one so far on the flight, Hmmm...

I shopped the gift stores in NRT each way and visited the skyclub. On the flight from NRT to JFK, a flight attendant welcomed me with "Welcome back!" Ha. And a very nice woman sat behind my bulkhead seat. From checking the seat map, it looked like she'd be the only one in the row so we started chatting about how lucky she was. She mentioned she was doing a mileage run and we both were so excited to meet someone doing a MR! We'd been on the same flight over but had no idea. She just started doing MR's and is doing THREE Singapore runs. She leaves on Sunday for the next one.

So, there was the second runner. That means there was at least one more on that flight. If you're lurking here, come on out!

All in all, it was a good experience. It was a lot of flying but I met some great people on the flights, slept well, watched too many movies and am now glad to be home.

Sorry for the long post!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Smile Thanks for your report

Originally Posted by nichelle
I'm home! And I wish I'd done this run long before now.

My itinerary was:
SFO-MSP-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-SFO

I had to add a positioning flight to get to SFO.
Total miles traveled: 28,974

I didn't make it to as many parts of the airport as I wanted. I wandered down to terminal 3 and picked up a wi-fi password and did some more shopping. When the ticket desk opened, I wanted to get my boarding passes ASAP. The attendant there was great and fun to talk to. Very pleasant with a great sense of humor! He asked if I was doing this for miles and what my 'level' would be. He also said that he sees many more 'runners' towards the end of the year and that I was the third one so far on the flight, Hmmm...

I shopped the gift stores in NRT each way and visited the skyclub. On the flight from NRT to JFK, a flight attendant welcomed me with "Welcome back!" Ha. And a very nice woman sat behind my bulkhead seat. From checking the seat map, it looked like she'd be the only one in the row so we started chatting about how lucky she was. She mentioned she was doing a mileage run and we both were so excited to meet someone doing a MR! We'd been on the same flight over but had no idea. She just started doing MR's and is doing THREE Singapore runs. She leaves on Sunday for the next one.

So, there was the second runner. That means there was at least one more on that flight. If you're lurking here, come on out!

All in all, it was a good experience. It was a lot of flying but I met some great people on the flights, slept well, watched too many movies and am now glad to be home.

Sorry for the long post!
Thanks for the interesting report. Did the lady doing the MR have the same itinerary as you? If not where did she start and how did she learn about MR, from reading FT? See if you can join us for the MR Nov 24-27 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX. Hope you have recovered from your run and can plan for the next one!

Happy Travels! Cheers!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Thanks for the interesting report. Did the lady doing the MR have the same itinerary as you? If not where did she start and how did she learn about MR, from reading FT? See if you can join us for the MR Nov 24-27 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX. Hope you have recovered from your run and can plan for the next one!

Happy Travels! Cheers!
She was traveling out of Salt Lake City. We shared the JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK portion. She was aware of FlyerTalk but didn't seem to know about the mileage run section. We exchanged email addresses so I pointed her this way and have sent her a link to this thread. Hopefully she sees it.

How I wish I could join you on the next one. But it conflicts with a wonderful vacation. I'm going to look at some late December dates and see if I can make something work. If not, then at least I finally did the SIN run this year.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Based on new money/job news its not likely i can do another of these in nov, POSSIBLY 1 in Dec. Means ill no longer be pushing for DM this year, but rather maximize my rollover and push for it early next year (maybe get a few of these in jan/feb)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Smile Prices Nov 10 11 pm PST

Best price tonight for 2014 is LAX Dep Nov 24-27 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX $1056.70 ai 25,096 MQM 4.21 cpm Nov 24-27
$1170.70 ai 4.66 cpm Nov 17-20
$1076.70 ai 4.29 cpm Jan 12-15, 19-22
$867.70 ai 3.46 cpm Feb 2-5
$1292.70 ai 5.15 cpm

Other dates in 2014 and Jn and Feb 2015 are $1285.70 or higher fo
SFO Dep SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO 25,318 MQM
$1251.70 ai 4.94 cpm Nov 24-27
$945.70 ai 3.73 cpm Jan 26-29, Feb 2-5, 9-12
Other dates higher!

Happy Travels! Please get your quadrivalent Flu shot! Have a Super week! Cheers!

Last edited by Csfing1; Nov 11, 2014 at 2:24 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.