Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
How is the UA Club at CLE, nothing special?
Since CLE was formerly a CO/UA hub, the Club is pretty decent. It is a full service set up.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As of when I came home this evening the C21 passenger loading bridge has been partially removed and is sitting on the ground in front of the gate much like the C7 bridge (which hasn't moved). C11 still has a PLB with United ads down the sides... I wonder if perhaps United is doing some mix-n-matching I.e. moving newer/better maintained/nicer bridges from their abandoned gates to gates they're keeping... or if C21 is just getting abandoned (it's one of the odd gates that shares part of PLB hallway with the next gate over before a fork in the road)

Also, interestingly, a Delta-branded set of air stairs has joined the Delta-branded GPU I mentioned up thread at C3. Wonder if they're just parking surplus crap there or if Delta has somehow made use of C3 which would make next to no sense given their entire presence is on B
Just an extra remote parking area, they would use B7 until SWA took it. They also park the 757s for the NBA charters over there.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Since CLE was formerly a CO/UA hub, the Club is pretty decent. It is a full service set up.
Agreed. It's got everything it needs. Not "SFO Rotunda UC"-sized by any means, but nice- bigger than LAS, DFW or PHX as a couple reference points.

Full bar (with friendly bartenders), spacious TV area, 10-15 mini-cubicles, as well as comfy chairs with adjacent outlets (including at the bar!).
Old May 14, 2016, 7:02 am

Looks like renovations at CLE should be done mid-June:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...novations.html
Old May 15, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
There is a fare war going on for flights to Europe started by Delta with fares in the $600-$700 range all in (see the mileage run forum). AA and then UA matched for many cities. However, UA did not include CLE, even thought both DL and AA include CLE. Why?
Old May 15, 2016, 8:51 am

Ua flight additions for July

Ua is gradually adding flights for the July convention. Cle to Dca and Dca
to Cle have added 737-800 and 320 on several days. IAd to Cle and return
is up to 6 flights on several days. Ewr/ord/den to be added in the next several days. 7/17 and 7/22 are they key days.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
It's been a while since I have had a morning flight out of CLE, but I have one at 7:25 AM on Friday. How soon is it suggested to be there, with all the construction? I'll be taking the train to the terminal, so at least parking won't be an issue. In the past I've tried to arrive about 90 minutes out.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
There is a fare war going on for flights to Europe started by Delta with fares in the $600-$700 range all in (see the mileage run forum). AA and then UA matched for many cities. However, UA did not include CLE, even thought both DL and AA include CLE. Why?
CLE is in some kind of weird limbo-land as far as UA is concerned. It's not a hub anymore, and they keep cutting popular routes anytime competition pops up on them. But when it comes to promos and sales (recent status upgrades, matching fare sales, etc...) it's treated just like any of the remaining hubs.

Someone at UA really desperately wants CLE to still be a hub-captive origin, even as the rest of the industry expands domestic ops here. Though, in truth, UA hasn't really been able to figure out what to do with CLE since 2010... I'm pretty sure they just keep throwing things at the wall in the hopes that something will stick, and they won't have to continuously revise history to later justify their decisions! *shrug*
Old May 16, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Darlox
CLE is in some kind of weird limbo-land as far as UA is concerned. It's not a hub anymore, and they keep cutting popular routes anytime competition pops up on them. But when it comes to promos and sales (recent status upgrades, matching fare sales, etc...) it's treated just like any of the remaining hubs.

Someone at UA really desperately wants CLE to still be a hub-captive origin, even as the rest of the industry expands domestic ops here. Though, in truth, UA hasn't really been able to figure out what to do with CLE since 2010... I'm pretty sure they just keep throwing things at the wall in the hopes that something will stick, and they won't have to continuously revise history to later justify their decisions! *shrug*
AKA a focus city.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by plinth857
It's been a while since I have had a morning flight out of CLE, but I have one at 7:25 AM on Friday. How soon is it suggested to be there, with all the construction? I'll be taking the train to the terminal, so at least parking won't be an issue. In the past I've tried to arrive about 90 minutes out.
If you are PreCheck for security and UA Premier/Business/First for baggage check, 90 mins should be ok. If you have to wait in regular security line or regular baggage check, I would be there 2 hrs early for peace of mind.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
If you are PreCheck for security and UA Premier/Business/First for baggage check, 90 mins should be ok. If you have to wait in regular security line or regular baggage check, I would be there 2 hrs early for peace of mind.
Thanks for the advice. PreCheck yes, and I am going to try my best to not check a bag. All the same, if I arrive at 5:30, I should be fine.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by plinth857
Thanks for the advice. PreCheck yes, and I am going to try my best to not check a bag. All the same, if I arrive at 5:30, I should be fine.
Note that UA has a curbside skycap checkin but it's not obvious since it's at the far south end of the C lobby, past the walled off construction zone. There's a narrow plywood hallway that connects lobby to curbside, down where the TSA PreCheck lane is. Last couple times I checked baggage with UA that curbside was empty - the signage makes people think they need to enter mid-terminal where Southwest is and they never realize there are UA skycaps at the far end.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
UA July 22
CLE to PHL
645am NS
900am NS

$188OW

Yesterday the elite line was mixed with PRE. Pay attention to the left turn in the security line at check point C. It backed the PRE line up unnescessarily. If they are merged together look left to see if there is a line up for pre after waiting five minutes I breezed through PRE. The TSA blamed the non TSA employee at the top of the line for the delay. Meanwhile instead of standing there the TSA staffer could have announced the line was open without waiting instead of chatting with two other co-workers.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Yesterday the elite line was mixed with PRE. Pay attention to the left turn in the security line at check point C. It backed the PRE line up unnescessarily. If they are merged together look left to see if there is a line up for pre after waiting five minutes I breezed through PRE. The TSA blamed the non TSA employee at the top of the line for the delay. Meanwhile instead of standing there the TSA staffer could have announced the line was open without waiting instead of chatting with two other co-workers.
I think the mixed line has existed since PRE moved back to C.

This morning (~7:20-7:30ish) there was a fairly decent line herder trying to form two lanes from the one. The TSA pre line ("left side...TSA Precheck keep to the left please") was nearly to the end of the ropes but not quite spilling out to the lobby; on the other hand, the elite line ("right side...keep the right side open please; luggage in front of or behind you.") was empty save I think two guys I saw make their way forward while I was waiting in the PRE line. I nearly ditched pre (and probably would have gotten through the process 10 minutes faster) but since I had plenty of time stuck with pre.

Biggest crowd I've personally seen since pre moved back to C, usually I've seen 2-3 people max and no line at the Elite split.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:09 pm

Does any data yet exist for Frontier's new flights (PDX, SFO, etc.)? I am very curious... we all know if they don't perform well from the get-go those flights may go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.