Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Nobody's saying UA should exit CLE. It's the non-hub flying that the investors are taking issue with.
Namely BOS, CHS, CUN, DCA, FLL, LGA, MCO, MKE, SJU, and RSW.
I agree. They have been known to cut several routes with minimal explanation as to why they did. Perhaps it will soon happen to the remaining non-hub routes.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Does anyone know the story behind the Eastern Airlines 737 parked at JetBlue's gate (what is that C4 or C6?) this morning?

I did a double take as I was walking by and it had all of the probes covered so it looked like someone was planning on it sitting there for a while....
Not 100% sure but might have been a charter for the U.S./Japan womens soccer teams that played at Browns stadium Monday.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Didn't UA recently make an announcement about their intentions to keep CLE as it currently is through 2019? I think it might have even been in this thread somewhere.
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_gate_o.html

Commitment to 14 C gates, financial obligations for concourse D, keeping the United Club open. Nothing about keeping a certain number of flights or destinations.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA
A Few Cosmetic UC changes

Looks like a few changes in the United Club that I noticed: new lighting and set up for food offerings, new monitors (color and TV screen style) displaying departure and arrival information including code share flights and flights to destinations with 1 stop (e.g., CLE-RSW 1857 with 1 stop in EWR).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: WN A List, Mileage Plus Silver, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
hi all! i don't normally post but i read this thread all the time. great info!

I landed at SFO monday morning and saw the Eastern Airlines 737 there out on the tarmac - so it must be either the cavs or golden state's charter. i took a pic but can't post it - i'm not saavy enough to get it hosted somewhere.

a fun throwback plane to be sure!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:11 am

Warriors have a Delta 757, so probably Cavs?

Edit - Looks like two Delta 757s went OAK-CLE yesterday, so Eastern plane might be a different charter
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA
Just came across this news update: http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/audit-reportedly-finds-united-fulfilled-agreement-to-maintain-cle-hub.html
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
The above based on this article I think: United Airlines Won’t Be Punished Over Decision to Close Cleveland Hub

United Airlines complied with a legal agreement it signed in 2010 that was supposed to require it to keep its Cleveland hub open for at least five years, even after it closed that hub in 2014, according to an auditor’s report commissioned by Ohio’s attorney general.

While the report is confidential, the attorney general’s office released a summary suggesting United did not violate its agreement, which called for the carrier to operate a certain number of flights for a five-year period after its merger with Continental Airlines. The state’s then-attorney general, Richard Cordray, sought the agreement, fearing the merged airline would quickly drop the Cleveland hub, cutting jobs and hurting the region’s economy.

Under the agreement, United was not supposed to cut more than 10% of its Cleveland schedule for two years after the merger close date. In years three, four and five, United was permitted to slash its flights, but only if it could prove its Cleveland hub was losing signifiant money. The standards for what constituted Cleveland’s profitability were complicated, though in essence the agreement created a sliding scale, with United permitted to cut more flights if the hub lost more money.
Local Public Radio WCPN going to cover it this morning: http://www.ideastream.org/programs/sound-of-ideas
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Warriors have a Delta 757, so probably Cavs?

Edit - Looks like two Delta 757s went OAK-CLE yesterday, so Eastern plane might be a different charter
The Cavs fly a Delta charter flight 8924:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8924

IIRC Delta has the exclusive NBA contract, every team uses DL except for Mavs and Heat(?)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by B211
hi all! i don't normally post but i read this thread all the time. great info!

I landed at SFO monday morning and saw the Eastern Airlines 737 there out on the tarmac - so it must be either the cavs or golden state's charter. i took a pic but can't post it - i'm not saavy enough to get it hosted somewhere.

a fun throwback plane to be sure!
It looks like the "new" Eastern actually has a half dozen or so 737s in its fleet so it could have been related or it could be a completely different plane... But it is fun to see that paint scheme in the air again!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Another Eastern 737 came in from Miami last night EA 940. Not sure what this aircraft is for.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The shrinkage continues. Was on a connecting flight CLE - EWR this November to FRA. The original flight was on a 738. Just got an email that I am being changed to a E70 and will now have a 4hr layover instead of the original under 2hrs.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Another Eastern 737 came in from Miami last night EA 940. Not sure what this aircraft is for.
Looks like there's a scheduled departure to OAK as EA 4194 @ 12:10 EDT, ETA at 1:46 PM PDT. Wonder if it's a fan group charter for tonight's game
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Looks like there's a scheduled departure to OAK as EA 4194 @ 12:10 EDT, ETA at 1:46 PM PDT. Wonder if it's a fan group charter for tonight's game
Or maybe media/press?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:10 am

No shrinkage--total flights to Ewr is at 7 for November. Shifting of flight times of mainline
To Fra think about changing at IAD--fewer delays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.