Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: UA
CAVS Parade Traffic

Took me about 1:15 to park at a Snow Rd. facility and get shuttle to CLE. Tons of CAVS fans going to CLE for RTA train and parking at airport and Snow Rd. lots. All parking is either near or at capacity. I'm sure that many passengers couldn't check bags because of cut off time and probably missed flights, although they left in a reasonable amount of time to get to CLE. Go CAVS!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Local news is reporting some flights out of CLE delayed this morning because crews can't make it to the airport due to Cavs traffic.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:27 am

Is there a "Late arriving aircraft due to LeBron James" message?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
Local news is reporting some flights out of CLE delayed this morning because crews can't make it to the airport due to Cavs traffic.
I actually feel sorry for the folks flying into CLE today, that don't know this is going on. At one point around 9:30am, the reported wait for the RTA red-line into town was ~4 hours. Once people gave up on that, it became impossible to get a taxi as well, as everyone was hopping in taxis and Uber to get as close to downtown as possible. All on-site parking lots were full before 10am, and the off-site ones were filling up fast.

I'm really happy for the home team, but wild horses couldn't drag me any closer to downtown today, than I already am.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The city looked awesome with those 1.3 million people downtown. Good PR for the city.

Working in business for many years numbers can always be modified to make them what a business wants them to read. How about a few years before the hub closure announcement a airline executive said Cleveland was one of the more profitable hubs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2016 at 12:47 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Lots of hubbub today on FOX8 about "unveiling" the changes and "construction walls finally down"... of course, no real change generally disappointed with how insignificant the changes really are as far as comfort or convenience goes.

I'm also [unreasonably exceptionally] perturbed that it appears TSA PRE has permanently moved to the B checkpoint for no apparent reason other than forcing C concourse passengers to involuntarily detour through the "food court" on their way to gates. Curious who the best contact to voice my dissatisfaction with that decision is...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Lots of hubbub today on FOX8 about "unveiling" the changes and "construction walls finally down"... of course, no real change generally disappointed with how insignificant the changes really are as far as comfort or convenience goes.

I'm also [unreasonably exceptionally] perturbed that it appears TSA PRE has permanently moved to the B checkpoint for no apparent reason other than forcing C concourse passengers to involuntarily detour through the "food court" on their way to gates. Curious who the best contact to voice my dissatisfaction with that decision is...
I just used TSA Precheck last week at the C checkpoint.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I just used TSA Precheck last week at the C checkpoint.
Yep, precheck was open at C on Wednesday and Friday last week. Used it both times.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Yep, precheck was open at C on Wednesday and Friday last week. Used it both times.
As did I... but as of this morning there was no Pre Check signage at C, B is "Pre Check Only" and the ticket counter agents were directing Pre Check pax to B... My understandig is effective today this is the new scheme but I'd love to be wrong... I hated the B TSA pre when it was "temporary", really would not enjoy it as a permanent change...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was there on CAVS weds, all the peoples going downtown on the RTA were clogging all the nearby roads, as well as all the rental car shuttles. The entire baggage claim area was flooded with a line to the RTA. Fortunately, the PRE in A was 2 people deep and it took no time to get thru.

I'm all happy that everyone was properly using public transport, but they really ought to have had a better way to deal with people actually using the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As did I... but as of this morning there was no Pre Check signage at C, B is "Pre Check Only" and the ticket counter agents were directing Pre Check pax to B... My understandig is effective today this is the new scheme but I'd love to be wrong... I hated the B TSA pre when it was "temporary", really would not enjoy it as a permanent change...
I thought I heard the airport manager on WCPN a couple weeks ago saying Precheck would be open at A/B/C through the end of the RNC. Oh well...
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I thought I heard the airport manager on WCPN a couple weeks ago saying Precheck would be open at A/B/C through the end of the RNC. Oh well...
Per the airport official Facebook page, they're only doing B from now on.

Security Checkpoint B will re-open today as our TSA Pre-Check checkpoint at 4 a.m. TSA Pre-Check will no longer be available at Checkpoints A & C.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Per the airport official Facebook page, they're only doing B from now on.
You can put this firmly in the "rumor" bucket for now, but I was speaking with a CLE airport employee on Saturday, and he indicated the plan was for Checkpoint B to be exclusively both TSA PreCheck and Premiere.

I didn't think to pump him for additional info at the time, since I only have to deal w/ PreCheck 99.5% of the time these days, but it sounded like A & C would be the big long lines only for standard Y pax, and the (theoretically) shorter lines for (most?) airlines' Premier pax and all TSA PreCheck would be B hereafter.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox
You can put this firmly in the "rumor" bucket for now, but I was speaking with a CLE airport employee on Saturday, and he indicated the plan was for Checkpoint B to be exclusively both TSA PreCheck and Premiere.

I didn't think to pump him for additional info at the time, since I only have to deal w/ PreCheck 99.5% of the time these days, but it sounded like A & C would be the big long lines only for standard Y pax, and the (theoretically) shorter lines for (most?) airlines' Premier pax and all TSA PreCheck would be B hereafter.
I sure hope they add more lanes than the 2 xray belts that they had at B - and more than 3 ID checkers - they could barely keep up with PreCheck at busy times, let alone adding UA, DL, AA, and WN elites to the mix.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:08 pm

I sure hope they add more lanes than the 2 xray belts that they had at B - and more than 3 ID checkers - they could barely keep up with PreCheck at busy times, let alone adding UA, DL, AA, and WN elites to the mix.
With construction being "finished" I'm not sure how they could -- 2 belts, 1 metal detector, one ATD is what they're running with. This morning @ ~9:30 was hardly what I'd call "busy" but still had a decent queue going (about 3 zig-zags plus some people spilling out onto the stairs. Took about 25ish minutes to get through compared to <5 last time I was at C.

Was not helped by having a single ID checker and a random TSA stander-arounder who seemed to have no purpose in life other than to reconfigure the queues about every 10 minutes. (Not sure why he couldn't be persuaded to use the other podium to also check IDs but nothing about the TSA makes sense if you spend too much time thinking about it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.