Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA
FYI gate c29 has new gate agent stand and equipment. Very sleek! A sign of hope!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
FYI gate c29 has new gate agent stand and equipment. Very sleek! A sign of hope!
Wait a second, that's UA territory. I don't think they would ever put anything new into the crap hole that is CLE. (Just kidding ). Got any pictures of it?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by oscar555
Wait a second, that's UA territory. I don't think they would ever put anything new into the crap hole that is CLE. (Just kidding ). Got any pictures of it?
Yes, United. No pics sorry. LGA has similar equipment.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Yes, United. No pics sorry. LGA has similar equipment.
As someone who never uses LGA, I'm unsure of what that entails... is it similar to the new podiums in concourse F at ORD (and a few of the B gates) ?

If so, definitely a good sign as it shows they are willing to keep sprucing up CLE. Not to mention, much cleaner sight lines, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
If nobody else snaps a picture, I'll grab one as I head out on Monday.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Uh oh! Could they be moving into the 21st century? Northwest Arkansas has gate information monitors, could we finally be getting them? If so, it's a miracle! (albeit a welcome one)
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:55 pm

Is this it?:

Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
Is this it?:

Not sure what gate that is, but C29 is a smaller area.

I took a picture this morning. I will try and upload it later today.

It doesn't look like the new monitor is active yet, but the gate stands have these nice swivel monitors and things look much more streamlined and attractive. They are staging several additional stands near gate C19. I'll bet when I'm back for my next trip in May, those will all be installed. I guess UA didn't want to look like such a third rate operation when all that traffic comes through this summer!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plinth857
vI guess UA didn't want to look like such a third rate operation when all that traffic comes through this summer!
Are you referring to the RNC for "all that traffic"? Because you're not going to be seeing some sort of drastic uptick in passengers for that week. Will flights be full? Probably. But it's not like UA is flying in wide bodies or doubling their flights for this. And a lot of people will fly private into BKL.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Here's the new podium at C29... as of about 4:30 this afternoon...

http://imgur.com/C0fIL7O

I have to admit that I've been hoping for new podiums (or at least a reconfiguration of the existing beat-to-hell podiums) for a while but when they replaced all of the carpet in the banjo without touching the gate furniture I had kind of given up hope.

This also gives me hope that the CSC by C17 is an interim rather than a permanent location (I don't think it's going back to the old location but perhaps one of the alternates I mentioned up thread is still viable... a guy can hope...especially a SoCal native that's been in CLE long enough to learn the mantra
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have family coming to visit me in Cleveland and I'm trying to compile a list of things to do here and within a reasonable distance. Since a fair number of Clevelanders follow this, I'm hoping some of you might help me with suggestions and comments on my list. It's at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwe...l#post26493117
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Here's the new podium at C29... as of about 4:30 this afternoon...

http://imgur.com/C0fIL7O

I have to admit that I've been hoping for new podiums (or at least a reconfiguration of the existing beat-to-hell podiums) for a while but when they replaced all of the carpet in the banjo without touching the gate furniture I had kind of given up hope.

This also gives me hope that the CSC by C17 is an interim rather than a permanent location (I don't think it's going back to the old location but perhaps one of the alternates I mentioned up thread is still viable... a guy can hope...especially a SoCal native that's been in CLE long enough to learn the mantra
Dang, that looks really nice! Didn't the UA gates at CLE have that "podium" where the big tv is (the one behind the gate agents)?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:36 pm

Dang, that looks really nice! Didn't the UA gates at CLE have that "podium" where the big tv is (the one behind the gate agents)?
The "old" way of doing things was to have a gate podium a fair distance from the boarding door with multiple workstations (for customer service questions, seating assignments, etc.,etc.) and then a boarding podium next to the gate with a single workstation (used solely for "lifting" boarding passes.

The "new" way being adopted at new stations and major remodels for UA seems to be a single gate podium near the boarding door that handles both customer service and lifting boarding passes -- IMO it makes a lot of sense and frees up more space for passenger seating, etc.

Anyway, to your question the old UA/CO gates had the boarding podium for most gates in roughly the location of the podium in my picture -- though I think C29's was actually further forward and on the other side of the door but my memory isn't that great.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The "old" way of doing things was to have a gate podium a fair distance from the boarding door with multiple workstations (for customer service questions, seating assignments, etc.,etc.) and then a boarding podium next to the gate with a single workstation (used solely for "lifting" boarding passes.

The "new" way being adopted at new stations and major remodels for UA seems to be a single gate podium near the boarding door that handles both customer service and lifting boarding passes -- IMO it makes a lot of sense and frees up more space for passenger seating, etc.

Anyway, to your question the old UA/CO gates had the boarding podium for most gates in roughly the location of the podium in my picture -- though I think C29's was actually further forward and on the other side of the door but my memory isn't that great.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification!

Now that I am thinking about it, can anybody snap some pictures of the old UA gates in C? I am curious to see what they look like. I was going to take a cheap $40 r/t flight with Frontier to Philly for the day so that I could snap some pictures and try them out, but I missed out on the deal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2016 at 7:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:04 pm

Now that I am thinking about it, can anybody snap some pictures of the old UA gates in C? I am curious to see what they look like. I was going to take a cheap $40 r/t flight with Frontier to Philly for the day so that I could snap some pictures and try them out, but I missed out on the deal.
It's not a great one but here's a photo from the airport's website:

You can see the "service"/"gate" podiums for a couple gates in the foreground and one of the rounded boarding podiums (very typical of what you see in IAH or EWR as well and starting to look dated) in the shadow of the first background column.

There's also this one from Airways news showing the weird corner that C17/19 occupy

http://airwaysnews.com/galleries/img8741_32430.jpg

Again, the boarding podium is kind of lurking in the shadows (incidentally, in 11 years of flying UA/CO from CLE I think C17/19 are the only C gates I've never used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.