Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Also worth noting that the CSC by C7 has now "moved" to C17.

But unless you're looking for it you (or at least I) didn't realize it's a CSC -- looks like they just parked an extra gate podium between gates and hung the United sign (without gate numbers) on the backboard.

It was not staffed when I went through this morning, and it was so nondescript I didn't even notice it when I came home last night (for a whopping 12 hours) until I walked past the old CSC and noticed everything was missing and little "We've moved" signs on the counter.
Makes sense. They don't have gates by C7 anymore. Heck, that might be AA's new CSC when they move to see pretty soon. I heard that it was going to be moved over by the UA club, but I thoguht it be kind of a weird setup since there is practically no room in between those banjo gates.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oscar555
Makes sense. They don't have gates by C7 anymore. Heck, that might be AA's new CSC when they move to see pretty soon. I heard that it was going to be moved over by the UA club, but I thoguht it be kind of a weird setup since there is practically no room in between those banjo gates.
I thought it would make sense to put it in one of those closed restaurant places (either Asian cho or whatever it was by C28 or the gelato place near C10)... Guess the new location doesn't up their rent any...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Here's the final seat map. Bet it's a fun flight:
Nice! As I said in earlier post, UA and UAX have a number of flights to/from CLE to destinations that they normally don't fly to from CLE. This was the first I've seen where they open flight to revenue.

As regards to the CSC relocation, I wonder if it is a temporary move or permanent. The CLE signage still points to C7 for the CSC.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Nice! As I said in earlier post, UA and UAX have a number of flights to/from CLE to destinations that they normally don't fly to from CLE. This was the first I've seen where they open flight to revenue.
Please post about them whenever you see them in the future. With a bit more leadtime I'd probably be on my way to SEA right now
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I thought it would make sense to put it in one of those closed restaurant places (either Asian cho or whatever it was by C28 or the gelato place near C10)... Guess the new location doesn't up their rent any...
That would actually be a great idea to do. The bad thing is that UA and the city are either too lazy or too concerned about budgeting that they don't consider that an option. Typical.

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE

As regards to the CSC relocation, I wonder if it is a temporary move or permanent. The CLE signage still points to C7 for the CSC.
It's gotta be permanent. It would make no sense for it to be at C7 when their gates are all the way at the end of C. If I remember right, it's been moved for a while now.

Please post about them whenever you see them in the future. With a bit more leadtime I'd probably be on my way to SEA right now
Yes, please do this! The more news the better! By the way, only 11 days until F9 has it's new routes. I wonder how it will go.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 3, 2016 at 5:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Yes, please do this! The more news the better! By the way, only 11 days until F9 has it's new routes. I wonder how it will go.
Probably not great...

PHL $18
ATL $35
RDU: $38
PDX: $48
SEA $58
PHX $68
LAS $83
LAX $83
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:04 pm

Probably not great...

PHL $18
ATL $35
RDU: $38
PDX: $48
SEA $58
PHX $68
LAS $83
LAX $83
I'm with you on that. I don't think PHL will last long and PDX won't be year round for long I think. It's a shame that LAX and SFO aren't daily because that is where they would make most of their money. They still have a SFO deal going on. I was tempted to just do the $19/way deal to PHL just to try them out.

Here's another odd UA flight that I just noticed.

It's UA flight 2139 departing Lake Charles, LA and arriving at CLE at 10:56 PM (now 12:21 AM due to a delay). It arrives at gate C14. I'm not sure what this is either. Hmmm....

See the attached picture for info.

Image link: http://s16.postimg.cc/gfooxclk5/united_2139.jpg

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2016 at 8:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I'm with you on that. I don't think PHL will last long and PDX won't be year round for long I think. It's a shame that LAX and SFO aren't daily because that is where they would make most of their money. They still have a SFO deal going on. I was tempted to just do the $19/way deal to PHL just to try them out.

Here's another odd UA flight that I just noticed.

It's UA flight 2139 departing Lake Charles, LA and arriving at CLE at 10:56 PM (now 12:21 AM due to a delay). It arrives at gate C14. I'm not sure what this is either. Hmmm....

See the attached picture for info.

Image link: http://s16.postimg.cc/gfooxclk5/united_2139.jpg
There's a maintenance facility there. I believe it's mostly for painting. Probably entering back into service after the ferry to CLE.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I see that Virgin America has east coast flights and to Chicago. It would be fantastic if they added Cleveland to the mix when the merger with Alaska becomes final. If they did, I'd throw UA over in a heartbeat. (Yes, I know it probably won't happen.)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by manneca
I see that Virgin America has east coast flights and to Chicago. It would be fantastic if they added Cleveland to the mix when the merger with Alaska becomes final. If they did, I'd throw UA over in a heartbeat. (Yes, I know it probably won't happen.)
You never know... they do want to grow. They could provide competition to Frontier on the CLE-->SEA route. I would believe that a once daily flight to this destination would provide a nice test to see if they could be successful in our market.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
You never know... they do want to grow. They could provide competition to Frontier on the CLE-->SEA route. I would believe that a once daily flight to this destination would provide a nice test to see if they could be successful in our market.
Frontier will pull out the second AS starts that route. Other routes for AS won't happen any time soon. There will be no competition cle-sea.

No one has yet tested the new E-190/195 jets for long routes. Its within their range for cle-san/lax/sfo/pdx/sea etc, and would seemingly work well if demand were there. Frontier is having issues filling 180 seat planes for some of these routes, but would airline xyz have issues filling 100?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Frontier will pull out the second AS starts that route. Other routes for AS won't happen any time soon. There will be no competition cle-sea.

No one has yet tested the new E-190/195 jets for long routes. Its within their range for cle-san/lax/sfo/pdx/sea etc, and would seemingly work well if demand were there. Frontier is having issues filling 180 seat planes for some of these routes, but would airline xyz have issues filling 100?
I think it depends who the airline is. In my opinion, if an airline like AS did CLE-SEA/SAN/etc. I would much rather go with them simply because their product is better. I'm sure a lot of people would do that as well. That might explain why there are a lot of CLE-SEA pax doing connections instead of a direct flight.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:22 pm

I think it depends who the airline is. In my opinion, if an airline like AS did CLE-SEA/SAN/etc. I would much rather go with them simply because their product is better. I'm sure a lot of people would do that as well. That might explain why there are a lot of CLE-SEA pax doing connections instead of a direct flight.
Jet Blue does use e-190 to boston...

People connect because they have no other option or don't want to pay more for a direct. Why does a direct cost more than 2 non direct flights? corporate america mostly. Frontier is currently filling these gaps with less than daily service. If I'm flexible, I will gladly take a $40 flight to portland. I am happy F9 is providing less than daily service to otherwise unserved places, if you've ever tried to go to portland the past 5 years flights are never under $180 per direction.

Everyone should realize this and buy up the cheap flights, if no one does, frontier will move away. They already are going to cmh this summer and have been in cvg as long as cle.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:18 pm

I think Frontier targets the seasonal cruise bound traffic originating from CLE. If AS added CLE, AS would target business traffic, leisure and rely on more steady year-round traffic, between the markets.

AS would likely schedule the flights oriented towards SEA based business traffic as well, while F9 would schedule the flights oriented toward plane utlilization (west coast red-eyes).

In summation, Frontier helps stimulate traffic between the market with a nonstop, albeit seasonal, but helps towards AS ever considering launching CLE.

With the AS/VX merger, I don't see AS really being on DAL-DCA/LGA long term, although it might keep DAL for west bound flights. Maybe it could re-allocate the DCA/LGA slot pairs to CLE and create a mini scissor operation with LGA/DCA-CLE-LAX/SFO/SEA. This would challenge UA to some extent on it's declining CLE operation.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beyondhere
With the AS/VX merger, I don't see AS really being on DAL-DCA/LGA long term, although it might keep DAL for west bound flights. Maybe it could re-allocate the DCA/LGA slot pairs to CLE and create a mini scissor operation with LGA/DCA-CLE-LAX/SFO/SEA. This would challenge UA to some extent on it's declining CLE operation.
As nice as that would be, I personally don't see that happening. I wonder if Delta will be making a play if AS decides to divest those gates at Love Field, which I consider to be a distinct possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.