Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RNE
Thank you, my friend.

For comparison, here are nearby CAK's numbers (millions):

2015: 1.55
2014: 1.57
2013: 1.72
2012: 1.84
2011: 1.66
2010: 1.59
2009: 1.44
2008: 1.47
2007: 1.39
2006: 1.44
2005: 1.30

Over the last 11 years, CLE has decreased 33.6% while CAK increased 19.2%.
CAKs numbers are going to be down heavily in 2016 and 2017 as WN completes their pullout. Doubt it will even be at 2005 levels.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:03 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
CAKs numbers are going to be down heavily in 2016 and 2017 as WN completes their pullout. Doubt it will even be at 2005 levels.
But we're talking about the past, not the future. In the past, CAK travel soared in lockstep with CLE's dive, as I said it would. As for the future? Yes, CAK'll probably fall—but not nearly as far as CLE has already fallen. Especially, looking further back to 2000: thirteen million down to 8! Five million travelers fallen into the abyss.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:29 pm

Connecting passengers

How many of the 13 million in 2000 were O&D?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RNE
But we're talking about the past, not the future. In the past, CAK travel soared in lockstep with CLE's dive, as I said it would. As for the future? Yes, CAK'll probably fall—but not nearly as far as CLE has already fallen. Especially, looking further back to 2000: thirteen million down to 8! Five million travelers fallen into the abyss.
Those 5MM are just being shuttled via ORD now.
It's CAK that's losing the real O/D pax now.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It's CAK that's losing the real O/D pax now.
What!? Really!? I'm shocked to learn CAK is not the crossroads of the world I thought it was. CAK's well-known status as a small airport is not news to anyone. Whereas CLE's death spiral is as terrible as it is newsworthy.

RNE, playing Sancho Panza to your ‎Don Quixote.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
What!? Really!? I'm shocked to learn CAK is not the crossroads of the world I thought it was. CAK's well-known status as a small airport is not news to anyone. Whereas CLE's death spiral is as terrible as it is newsworthy.

RNE, playing Sancho Panza to your ‎Don Quixote.
"Death spiral" seems like a bit of an exaggeration. It is simply normalizing like Pittsburgh. To me, though, the difference is that Cleveland's design and footprint could be easier to work with in eventually "right sizing" the facility.

I wonder if the United lease on Concourse D is more of an impediment than anything else. I know they don't want to leave money on the table, and that is understandable. But that's a portion of the airport that could be repurposed very well in the future. Too bad it will probably be 11 years before that could happen, and by then, the facility might not be in a condition to be used.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
After a flight today, walking down concourse C, I saw some JetBlue things in gate C6. It was probably just stuff being temporarily stored, it would be interesting if they were taking one of those gates!

Boy, would I be pleased if they started flying to JFK from CLE. We'd have even greater access to their route network that way.
C6 was being used because C4 is/was broken. C6 isn't a permanent B6 gate as of now.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA
GOP convention 2016

With the upcoming GOP convention on Cleveland's horizon for the summer, does anyone know of UA plans to upgage flights from DCA, IAD or LGA this summer? Will United add additional nonstop service to other cities that might be popular routes for the convention?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
That question was asked not long after the hub was closed and really did not get a firm answer. If you look at the schedule for the convention week not seeing anything added. Actually less flights to DCA and IAH, down to 4. Convention is almost 4 months out I would think the firm schedules would be in now. Looks like ORD has more mainline but that is a permanent change.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:40 pm

Cle is great

Cle to Dca is running 5 week days for July as it has for years
Cle to IAD is running 280seats per same as last summer
Cle to NYC is running 900 seats daily more than last year

June and July aircraft are subject to equipment swaps as are not final
only April systemwide is final
expect some E175 additions as schedules swap Cr-700's
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Milage Plus
I hope that Jetblue adds something else. I've been wanting more flights from them for a while besides the 3x/daily Boston in May.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by trk1
Cle to Dca is running 5 week days for July as it has for years
Cle to IAD is running 280seats per same as last summer
Cle to NYC is running 900 seats daily more than last year

June and July aircraft are subject to equipment swaps as are not final
only April systemwide is final
expect some E175 additions as schedules swap Cr-700's
I've noticed that many of the E145 routes out of the NYC area are now E170/5 for June and July dates I've looked at.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:54 pm

Bad News?

Not sure if any of you have heard this yet, but Allegiant Air has 22 new routes and 3 new cities. One route that I know of is from CAK to somewhere in Orlando (MCO, maybe). Anyways, I really can't wait to see how this plays out because UA, NK, DL, and F9 all serve Orlando and other Florida destinations. This'll be interesting to watch.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by oscar555
Not sure if any of you have heard this yet, but Allegiant Air has 22 new routes and 3 new cities. One route that I know of is from CAK to somewhere in Orlando (MCO, maybe). Anyways, I really can't wait to see how this plays out because UA, NK, DL, and F9 all serve Orlando and other Florida destinations. This'll be interesting to watch.
Allegiant is going to fly to Orlando Sanford, twice a week. This service, and Delta's service to MCO from CLE will pick up some travelers, but the bulk of the passengers will still be served via Spirit, Frontier, and United. I was fascinated when Delta started its Saturday nonstop. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still going!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
Allegiant is going to fly to Orlando Sanford, twice a week. This service, and Delta's service to MCO from CLE will pick up some travelers, but the bulk of the passengers will still be served via Spirit, Frontier, and United. I was fascinated when Delta started its Saturday nonstop. Frankly, I'm surprised it's still going!
I'm surprised that DL even made the route. I completely forgot that they had it. Plus, it's on a 50 seater which really sucks. I guess that they just did it so a plane wouldn't have to sit idle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.