Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Here's a link to the story:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...art_river_home

Fantastic news about the UC! So much for all the talk about it closing after the convention.
Finally some good UA news at CLE!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Here's a link to the story:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...art_river_home

Fantastic news about the UC! So much for all the talk about it closing after the convention.
Hope this is not "the big print giveth" and "the small print taketh away"!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They need a plan for Concourse D. Some work would have to be done to connect it to the main terminal and upgrading some gates for larger aircraft. Not much progress being made on getting flights to Europe. How is the search coming for a professional Airport Director who can make things happen.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
They need a plan for Concourse D. Some work would have to be done to connect it to the main terminal and upgrading some gates for larger aircraft.
D is still connected to the main terminal via underground walkway. There's just a semi-permanent wall over the entrance to the walkway.

The gates need modification, sure. But I see no reason the current connection from C to D needs to be changed.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
They need a plan for Concourse D. Some work would have to be done to connect it to the main terminal and upgrading some gates for larger aircraft. Not much progress being made on getting flights to Europe. How is the search coming for a professional Airport Director who can make things happen.
Should just be knocked down and replaced with parking or the return of the rental car facility. Should have settled with UA to make that happen instead of having it mothballed for 13 years.

CLE probably will never need the capacity of D again without the connecting traffic of a hub.

And I'm still waiting for the CLE-MCI nonstop that Ricky Smith promised was coming last year
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Great News. Will renew my UClub Membership.

Before the economic/market meltdown in 2008, CO was looking at expanding the CLE PClub (adding showers), adding a PClub to D, and building a walkway from the C checkpoint to the D terminal. Adding CLE-FCO was also planned. Oh well.....

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Should just be knocked down and replaced with parking or the return of the rental car facility. Should have settled with UA to make that happen instead of having it mothballed for 13 years.

CLE probably will never need the capacity of D again without the connecting traffic of a hub.
Agree...big empty building will look like &*%$%# as the years go by.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
A close in rental car facility would be fantastic. One of the (few) things I miss about not living in Memphis is that they built a garage within walking distance of the terminal with the rental car facility on the first two floors. And the per day cost of parking is $6 per day. CLT just moved its rental car facility back to the airport proper. I've rented cars at the airport several times and even tho I'm fairly familiar with the area, I manage to get lost trying to get back the rental car facility.

Glad that the PClub will remain open. And that food is improving. Now if they'd just have real yoghurt instead of sweetened stuff at breakfast. (Berries were back!)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manneca
A close in rental car facility would be fantastic. One of the (few) things I miss about not living in Memphis is that they built a garage within walking distance of the terminal with the rental car facility on the first two floors. And the per day cost of parking is $6 per day. CLT just moved its rental car facility back to the airport proper. I've rented cars at the airport several times and even tho I'm fairly familiar with the area, I manage to get lost trying to get back the rental car facility.

Glad that the PClub will remain open. And that food is improving. Now if they'd just have real yoghurt instead of sweetened stuff at breakfast. (Berries were back!)
I heard two weeks ago that the food service management is being "farmed out" to Sodexo.
Don't know the current operator/vendor.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by chriskuo
United announced new lease with CLE today.
Extends lease on banjo gates C16+ 10 years to 2029.
AA will lease odd gates C3-11.
Will keep United Club open through 2029.
Will pay off Concourse D bonds (by 2029).
CLE said A will be used for LCC.
Like I've been saying all along. The CLE Club is here to stay! ^

RNE
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing will happen with D as long as UA is still making payments on it. The airport can only hold UA to the original obligations as long as they don't touch it. You better believe that UA has stipulations in their financing for the terminal that prevents the airport from leasing the gates to other parties or tearing it down to make space for other uses. The airport has likely decided, for now, that they don't really need the gate space or the property for other uses and therefore it makes the most financial sense to hold UA to their original debt obligations on the terminal.

We've been through this already with CVG and DL where the airport let DL out of it's Concourse A lease obligations early in order to move the other airlines there. And more recently, they've let DL out of the Concourse C debt obligations early so they can tear it down and use the space for other purposes.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
That's why it's somewhat surprising they couldn't find a way to settle with UA getting reduced debt payments in exchange for CLE being allowed to re-purpose the space for parking.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
D is connected to C by the underground walkway, so you have to hike down C to get to the main terminal. This was a issue the last years of the hub as you saw a lot of local traffic passengers flights arriving and departing at D, meaning you had to take the underground and C to get to D. Not really a modern airport design this should have been part of the original design. It would not be attractive for even others airlines to use D even if had some kind of agreement from United because of this issue.
The bottom line is you have airport where the main terminal and A and B concourses are 60 years old although has goon through various remodel projects and your newest concourse that opened in 1999 sits vacant.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Bonds and $1B in debt keep the payments in place.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by RNE
Like I've been saying all along. The CLE Club is here to stay! ^

RNE
Most humorous post of the month. ^
Appreciating the bit of mirth........while others scramble to look up and reference the links to the multiple posts and illustrate that RNE "May" have stated otherwise.

XZH445 stating...RNE showing that it is easier to eat crow while it is still warm.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:37 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by xzh445
RNE showing that it is easier to eat crow while it is still warm.
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Culinary Post of the Week!

Did I ever say the future I foresaw was in this reality? Hmmm? Nope. I am a denizen of multiple realities—and sanitariums.

RNE, spitting out crow feathers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.