Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

[And hey if any fellow CLEers see a guy with the beat-up laptop bag that has a red "Remove Before Flight" tag on it, say hi]
I think I saw you a while back. I remember the tag!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA
Sitting at C17 nearby "new" CSC. No signage up yet indicating that it is the CSC.

C concourse looks so depressed. I would like to think CLE and UA would get concourse up and ready for RNC, otherwise it is a poor welcome to CLE for visitors and makes UA look bad.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Sitting at C17 nearby "new" CSC. No signage up yet indicating that it is the CSC.

C concourse looks so depressed. I would like to think CLE and UA would get concourse up and ready for RNC, otherwise it is a poor welcome to CLE for visitors and makes UA look bad.
I don't think UA cares how it looks in Cleveland. Their gates have always been shabby. It's an interesting contrast to ORD, where the gate waiting areas are nasty and gross, but they have modern flight status screens and charging stations.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by paule123
Departed yesterday and the dedicated TSA Pre B checkpoint is now closed for construction. C checkpoint was not busy went I went through but I could see it being a really ugly scene in the morning. The split for precheck isn't until the end of the premier security line that runs the length of the ticket counters. Personally I would ignore the "do not enter" lane on the left lane to get to precheck entrance if the security line was the length of the terminal.

Parking is a disaster - with those red/blue lots closed the main parking deck AND orange lots were full. Add another 30 minutes to your routine and plan on parking at Park Place...

JetBlue has a banner hanging at C6, so they have 2 gates now. Southwest is renovating the B7 gate space, adding another gate for them.
Do you have a pic of the banner at C6?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE

I totally agree with you. It looks so depressing and everything is 50 years or older. Honestly, the city could care less. They won't do it if it won't result in a salary raise lol.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oscar555
Do you have a pic of the banner at C6?
If the OP doesn't have one I can try (to remember) to snap one when I leave on Monday -- really just a large vinyl JetBlue banner hanging on the wall, and a JetBlue sign on the floor leaning up against the front of the (original CO) gate podium.

Nothing snazzy, certainly not like their C4 podium/hold room.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If the OP doesn't have one I can try (to remember) to snap one when I leave on Monday -- really just a large vinyl JetBlue banner hanging on the wall, and a JetBlue sign on the floor leaning up against the front of the (original CO) gate podium.

Nothing snazzy, certainly not like their C4 podium/hold room.
Dang, I was expecting more. I'm surprised they didn't do a clone of their C4 podium. Now it's just a matter of time before they announce more flights.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Any why AA is ending the PHX direct flight. It is a hub and usually hubs are linked with most large markets. America West flew this route for many years then pulled out as UA owned it with as many as 3 flights a day at times. WN flies the route but most markets have both AA and WN in the market. Did any other city loose PHX direct flight.
Interesting long before the merger in the 1970's AA had a mini hub in CLE with a PHX nonstop.
First off AA ran a nonstop to PHX not a direct. A direct flight requires a stop but no plane change, sorry that's a pet peeve of mine Second not sure why AA dropped PHX but WN thanks them. The 3 weeks WN ran 2x PHX a day there wasn't a seat to be found for all but about 4 days. Thinking next year they should either run 3 a day or upgauge to double 738s. PHX has been a fantastic add for WN, routinely nearly full if not oversold.

Last edited by 737MAX; Apr 8, 2016 at 6:29 pm
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 737MAX
First off AA ran a nonstop to PHX not a direct.
A nonstop is a type of direct flight. Any nonstop flight is a direct flight, but not all direct flights are nonstop.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Great find! She's always been friendly. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it's in the PD tomorrow and people recognize her when she walks by their seating area if they're reading it.
Ran into this lovely lady this eve at UC. She had never heard of FT and was thrilled when I showed her this forum. She can't believe she is on the Internet. She can't believe how nice ya'll are !

She flies to Dallas tomorrow for a National award. Maybe we should post her in Celebrity Sitings?

Too bad the UC closes at 7:00....delayed flight to IAH.....
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
A nonstop is a type of direct flight. Any nonstop flight is a direct flight, but not all direct flights are nonstop.
While that may be the case I can tell you for a fact that my airline doesn't use them interchangeably at all, they are two different things. But to each their own
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Sitting in the Miami Airport, they have just about rebuilt the terminal since the first time I was there more the. 40 years ago. I am not impressed with the ticket counter project. We really needed to completely rebuild the airport terminal.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Sitting in the Miami Airport, they have just about rebuilt the terminal since the first time I was there more the. 40 years ago. I am not impressed with the ticket counter project. We really needed to completely rebuild the airport terminal.
I would love for this to happen as well, but I can't think of any way they can pay for it without raising landing fees, which would not help get new service. New service could hopefully lead to greater traffic, which will in turn generate more in fees.

What they REALLY need is a new Master Plan that has been updated for their current situation and traffic projections. Right now, it seems like they are a plane in the air without a pilot or destination.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:04 pm

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker (I'm a young guy who isn't a very frequent flier despite my love of it, so not much reason to post) but the idea of rebuilding the terminal has me wanting to contribute.

My dream for CLE is to build the above ground C/D connector with new gates on it and move everyone's domestic operations to the new C/D mega concourse. I'd love for United to rebuild the hub, but let's be realistic here and say they won't and thus don't need 30+ gates like the old days. A could be turned into a real FIS and B could be torn down. The place were B stands could be rebuilt long term if the need ever arose. I have no idea how much that would cost, and it would require some action from people in CLE who aren't prone to such action, but who knows.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VetteElite
My dream for CLE is to build the above ground C/D connector with new gates on it and move everyone's domestic operations to the new C/D mega concourse. I'd love for United to rebuild the hub, but let's be realistic here and say they won't and thus don't need 30+ gates like the old days. A could be turned into a real FIS and B could be torn down. The place were B stands could be rebuilt long term if the need ever arose. I have no idea how much that would cost, and it would require some action from people in CLE who aren't prone to such action, but who knows.
Welcome to FT!

Back in the CO days there was talk of extending the ticket counters from around to the end of D which would give direct landside access to C (I imagine where the glass wall just to the east of the C security checkpoint is would have turned into a hallway and basically follow the arc of the terminal roadway) -- which was the biggest issue (IMO) with the D concourse. (Lack of holdroom space for anything bigger than a 50-seat RJ would be a very close second, and relative lack of jetway equipped gates -- remember a huge number of D gates are turboprop/walk and climb gates)

As good an idea as it may be/have been given the massive investment CLE has made in the façade project -- starting from the A end of the terminal -- I don't think there's a likelihood of shuttering/mothballing A/B anytime soon, let alone the major construction/capital cost that would be required to bring D landside -- and that's ignoring UA's total and exclusive control over D combined with a lack of motivation to do anything that would make things easier/better for their competition.

I honestly thought when UA pulled the hub down and then relinquished the low C gates (a process that took significantly longer than I expected and still isn't complete) that they would shift everyone on A over to C and mothball A entirely -- but in reality it looks like only AA is moving over and everyone else on A is staying on A.

With regard to B, it seems like that concourse has a ton of action between DL and WN and it would be difficult to accommodate them within the C/D footprint when combined with AA, UA, and B6

I wonder if, to borrow a theatrical term, CLE is going to "dress the house" by spacing airlines and gates and sprinkling vacant ticket counter positions and gates between them rather than clustering all of the vacant gates and landside space in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.